Sign in to follow this  
DomT

Anyone had quality issues with recent Luxman amps?

Super Wammer

Have you thought of trying a wi-fi extender

It's quite clear but I think we need an electronics designer to explain what is happening and find a solution...or maybe just stay with the marantz? Very good amps, and what you lose in sound you will gain in perceived reliability?

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, DomT said:

I

I have a router in the lounge where the hifi is. Router is plugged into an adjacent socket to the one the Luxman is plugged into. Because the router does not reach the whole house we need to use those boosters to send WiFi through the mains cables. A booster is plugged into the same socket as the router. If I unplug the booster then there is no problem. Hopefully this is clearer. But according to my electrical tech there is nothing that can be done. That’s why I have been selling my valve stuff. 

I use these .. not WiFi but sends via Ethernet through the mains.. 

What you are describing is a WiFi booster 

4957DD81-9B2F-482C-A486-C0406AA26BA1.jpeg

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, radiant red said:

I use these .. not WiFi but sends via Ethernet through the mains.. 

What you are describing is a WiFi booster 

4957DD81-9B2F-482C-A486-C0406AA26BA1.jpeg

That’s the one. It enables us to get WiFi on the other side of the house that we otherwise would not be able to get. Do you use them and do you have the same problem as us? Maybe we have a faulty amp and it not because of how it’s deisgned. 

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, DomT said:

That’s the one. It enables us to get WiFi on the other side of the house that we otherwise would not be able to get. Do you use them and do you have the same problem as us? Maybe we have a faulty amp and it not because of how it’s deisgned. 

These are not WiFi Dom

one box connects to router via cat5 cable. The other in the room you want internet and connected via cat5 to the item that requires the internet. There is no WiFi involved with this

36 minutes ago, DomT said:

Conclusion is that the Luxman is not well designed. 

Conclusion is that powerline adaptors are crap for Hifi. They spew noise all over the place. I've seen plenty of people saying these cause various problems and nobody having a noisy Luxman. It'll be injecting noise into your other components too. I'd suggest you get rid and try access points or a Wifi mesh system instead.

By the way, you imply that the router and powerline are sharing the same socket with an adapter. If that's the case, you're not supposed to do that. Get a longer ethernet cable and plug it in a socket further away and see what happens.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Double post

Edited by Warszawa

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, radiant red said:

These are not WiFi Dom

one box connects to router via cat5 cable. The other in the room you want internet and connected via cat5 to the item that requires the internet. There is no WiFi involved with this

Yes the router connects via a cable to the booster that is plugged into the mains. In the other room we just use WiFi and connect specifically to the booster in that room via WiFi using the code on the booster unit. Sorry if I don’t know all of the correct words but this is how it works.  All computers and phones connect via WiFi and we have to use different WiFi signals depending on which side of the house we are on. 

Super Wammer

If your calling it a booster, it’s not what I have, broadband goes through the mains. If yours is a booster, it’s in the mains purely for power

Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

Conclusion is that powerline adaptors are crap for Hifi. They spew noise all over the place. I've seen plenty of people saying these cause various problems and nobody having a noisy Luxman. It'll be injecting noise into your other components too. I'd suggest you get rid and try access points or a Wifi mesh system instead.

By the way, you imply that the router and powerline are sharing the same socket with an adapter. If that's the case, you're not supposed to do that. Get a longer ethernet cable and plug it in a socket further away and see what happens.

Thanks for that. We only have the electrical sockets we have so nothing can change. In any event it’s only the Luxman that can’t cope well; even the cheap 10 year old Teac C500 is ok.

I didn’t understand your other recommendations but don’t worry we are due to move house in 4 weeks subject to Coronavirus.

So the router and powerline adapter are sharing the same socket? That could be your problem. Check the manual.

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, radiant red said:

If your calling it a booster, it’s not what I have, broadband goes through the mains. If yours is a booster, it’s in the mains purely for power

Am sorry I have no idea about this subject and what the items are called apart from the consequences.  I just know how we use it as described and the consequences on our equipment. 

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Warszawa said:

So the router and powerline adapter are sharing the same socket? That could be your problem. Check the manual.

No manual no other socket to use. Only affects the Luxman. 

Super Wammer

Let’s leave it there guys. You have been helpful but this is over my head and we have limitations here that will not exist when we move. We may have different issues but that the Luxman is consistently misbehaving is worrying.