Sign in to follow this  
DomT

Anyone had quality issues with recent Luxman amps?

It's not the Luxman's fault. I've had two different Luxman integrateds and they have the lowest noise floor of any amp I've owned. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

It's not the Luxman's fault. I've had two different Luxman integrateds and they have the lowest noise floor of any amp I've owned. 

Agreed, true to the source. The design topology is first rate. Without being at Doms house, it’s difficult to help. At least the line straight issue was resolved 

Posted (edited)

Some of the plug-in adaptors not only provide wired ethernet over mains, but also act as wifi hotspots.

WRT the plugging in, the powerline adaptors state that it is best not to use them plugged into an extension cable or multiple socket block, because it can slow the speed. We use a powerline (non-wifi) setup here for the AV system because it's the only sensible option. The transmitter one is plugged into one part of a double wall socket and the other outlet of the double socket has a multiway extension lead that powers the modem, wifi router and one NAS. We haven't had any issues with any equipment so far.

Edited by rabski

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

The Luxman clearly isn’t the cause of the problem but it clearly can’t cope with it.

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, DomT said:

The Luxman clearly isn’t the cause of the problem but it clearly can’t cope with it.

I’ve plugged in all the boosters and my amp into one mains block just to see what happens... no issues. 
My amps are always directly plugged into the mains tho. 
if there is rf interference, in your system then I would suspect it’s more to do with how it’s set up. Also, cables can assist in being transmitters not going down that route but many variations can affect the end result 

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, radiant red said:

I’ve plugged in all the boosters and my amp into one mains block just to see what happens... no issues. 
My amps are always directly plugged into the mains tho. 
if there is rf interference, in your system then I would suspect it’s more to do with how it’s set up. Also, cables can assist in being transmitters not going down that route but many variations can affect the end result 

Jon I really appreciate the help. It may well be the set up (that was done by Virgin) but it’s seriously bugging me that the Luxman is affected and nothing else SS is. When we move to Portugal I could well be stuck with this problem.  

Interestingly today we plugged in the Marantz for the first time in over two weeks. We did a blind test on my wife. I played several tracks on Luxman and Marantz in random order. Each and every time my wife picked the Marantz as her favourite especially on Mozart piano because of tone and naturalness.   I preferred the Marantz more than half of the times depending on what was being played but I was not blind. The thing that I like about the Luxman is that because the bass does not dig as deep it bounces along better eg Wings Silly Love Songs bass line. 

Am really inclined to save the £2k cost of change despite the benefits of the loudness button for late nights and will just use headphones instead. 

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

Plug in WiFi extenders are the devils work. What you need is a new WiFi hub linked by a CAT cable to your router. Position the hub centrally in your home - ours is on the hall ceiling. Big house, thick walls, perfect WiFi everywhere.

Yup plug in extenders are not great from past experience. Got fed up with them and got one of these:

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Perfect wifi around the house without any drop outs, as like you I have a big house with thick walls.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, DomT said:

Jon I really appreciate the help. It may well be the set up (that was done by Virgin) but it’s seriously bugging me that the Luxman is affected and nothing else SS is. When we move to Portugal I could well be stuck with this problem.  

Interestingly today we plugged in the Marantz for the first time in over two weeks. We did a blind test on my wife. I played several tracks on Luxman and Marantz in random order. Each and every time my wife picked the Marantz as her favourite especially on Mozart piano because of tone and naturalness.   I preferred the Marantz more than half of the times depending on what was being played but I was not blind. The thing that I like about the Luxman is that because the bass does not dig as deep it bounces along better eg Wings Silly Love Songs bass line. 

Am really inclined to save the £2k cost of change despite the benefits of the loudness button for late nights and will just use headphones instead. 

We call this ‘buyers remorse’ in my trade, thing is Dom, since you have had the amp, you have looked at reasons not to like it and or justifying the cost. If that was in my head, it would have gone back by now. 
Me? Loving the 507, missing some of the treble quality and texture the a21a gives but makes up for it in just about everything else. The Sugden isn’t going anywhere (thankfully I can afford to keep it) and one day when I can eventually move, I’ll try it against the Luxman but whenever you are trying to change or add a second system, you have a reference point and I think you have had and like it so stick with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emcc_3e said:

Yup plug in extenders are not great from past experience. Got fed up with them and got one of these:

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Perfect wifi around the house without any drop outs, as like you I have a big house with thick walls.

Yes, that is the one we have too. Does need to be hard wired to the router but it is absolutely stable and provides great coverage. I can’t remember a drop out since we had it two years ago. It’s a life changer - and I don’t think that is overstating it.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Dom, in the event that you keep the Luxman, and still have this problem after you move - which I’m guessing is pretty unlikely - then there are some possible cures.  Whilst I’d definitely try other wiring arrangements or Wi-fi boosting methods first, Russ Andrews sell various noise absorbers designed with your scenario in mind.  I’m sure other makes are available!  But with your amplifier and router so close to each other you are asking for trouble tbf!  We have router and powerline device in the hall, with the HiFi in the adjacent living room.  The powerline feeds a distant tv, but the HiFi streamer is hardwired to the router. 

Here is an example...https://www.russandrews.com/mini-purifier-uk-superclamp/

Edited by Nopiano

14 hours ago, DomT said:

Yeah...I hit a lamppost in my Ford too and that didn't cope either...rubbish design, the Ford.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, rockmeister said:

Yeah...I hit a lamppost in my Ford too and that didn't cope either...rubbish design, the Ford.

It is scientifically proven that some cars are better in a crash than others.

So why is the Luxman the only SS amp that is suffering? Even my cheap old micro Teac CR-500DNT does not suffer.

Super Wammer
45 minutes ago, DomT said:

It is scientifically proven that some cars are better in a crash than others.

So why is the Luxman the only SS amp that is suffering? Even my cheap old micro Teac CR-500DNT does not suffer.

Back in the good old days, higher bandwidth amplifiers were more sensitive to fridge clicks and CH thermostats than more constrained designs.  I’ve no idea if that’s still the case, but I’m guessing the Luxman is probably a traditional wide bandwidth design.  However, I can imagine the frustration for you. 

17 hours ago, DomT said:

This one is odd.  You are moving house so let's hope that is the remedy.

My router and the wall socket that requires power to send the broadband/internet signal to the router, are all attached to the same surge protected power strip. In the strip I have two of those iFi 12V DC "power packs" replacing the original DC converters the router and wall socket came standard with.  All of the HiFi including the valves are plugged into the exact same power strip. NO  issues.  Sure, I have a bit of hum when I put my ear up to the speaker, but you've got to get right up there.

Posted (edited)

Hi DomT,

Some useful info here, if you plough through the first bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9RSLHOFOTc

FWIIW, I have had trouble with 'wallwart" switchmode PS in the past and they often come with routers. I have a similar set up to nopiano and have no issues with two Devollo 1200s, the TV/AV one in the lounge has wifi expander built in. My Teac has a shielded CAT 7 although LG OLEDs have cheapo CAT5. There are no wifi devices in the HiFi room except my iPad for control. While there are many detractors, I have no regrets buying 3 X  Audioquest NRG Z3 power chords. Whether one would fix the problem is impossible to predict, but my marantz amp is singing a treat. Good luck.

Edited by nomore landings