gasolin

what is and which amps are a high current amp ?

I have had many amps in the last 10 years, currently using a nad c355bee (haven't we all one time in our life had a nad amp?), lots of power, good bass and sounds okay when it's warm.

I often hear people talk about wattage isn't everything (you do need alot if you have inefficient speakers) and i think i have many times been suggest a low powered "high current" amp instead of what i was looking for, an amp with 100 watt or more pr channel in 8 ohm.

According to google a high current amp is:

A "high current amp" is an amplifier that has a significant amount of current that it can deliver, largely because the amplifier 1) has a very large power supply, and 2) has high quality output transitors capable of using that power to deliver the signal to the speakers.

what is and which amps are a high current amp ? Nad, audiolab, yamaha,hegel, the bigger denon amps......

How does a high current amp, i don't know, mabye nad?  Compare to a not so high current amp like a entry level denon amp (or what ever that isn't a high current amp)  in sound quality  with normal speaker loads, 4-8 ohm and 85-89 db sensitivity ?

I often hear about some getting a twice as power full amp and now they have an amp that can control the speaker they have and have the power,punch they want. Is it because they didn't have a high current amp?

Posted (edited)

I personally like high current in an amp. My esoteric I'm using at the minute I would consider high current at around 950va it's the old transformer based rather than toroidal. My gryphon is high current don't know what it is though as they can be rather secretive like some other manufacturers I've come across. I had the massive class a se audio analogue that too was around 900va. I believe they are the only way to go personally for grip, dynamics etc etc : ) 

Edited by 2010*zuma

Think my quad 909 is a high current amp? 

Look for an amp that doubles its power output into 4 ohms, or thereabouts.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

This is, I believe, the highest current amplifier available today.  
https://dandagostino.com/products/relentless-monoblock.php

As already mentioned above, the power doubles with each halving of the speaker load.  This product is exceptional, however, and could probably melt most cables.  

This one from Boulder?

1BECF90E-7B46-4DFA-8368-D7D761CFE2A7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iceman 16 said:

This one from Boulder?

Is that a nuclear reactor ?

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

This is, I believe, the highest current amplifier available today.  
https://dandagostino.com/products/relentless-monoblock.php

As already mentioned above, the power doubles with each halving of the speaker load.  This product is exceptional, however, and could probably melt most cables.  

I think we may be heading for a national power shortage pandemic should I reach for my wall socket to plug this pretty thing in... 

.... Perhaps too I may have to part with my house to fund it😂😂🤣🤣

• Haha 2

The Audia Flight FLS10 is a 200w amp with a 2KVA toroidal trans. Does that mean it’s high current?

Does the high output of the transformer mean it’s a high current amp?

2 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

This one from Boulder?

Where’s the countdown timer display? 😂🤣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Denon PMA-1600NE, PMA-2500NE and atlest 20 years back to the PMA-1500R and PMA-2000R are high current amps ?

Does such amps sound better than amps that are not a high current amp ? (a sign of high sound quality?)

Edited by gasolin

6 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

This one from Boulder?

Looks like something from the hadron collider😂😂🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tIANcI said:

The Audia Flight FLS10 is a 200w amp with a 2KVA toroidal trans. Does that mean it’s high current?

Does the high output of the transformer mean it’s a high current amp?

Where’s the countdown timer display? 😂🤣

Reminds me of the last part at fort knox in the james bond movie goldfinger

_iQ-q8FmLdIVj1vdLD_aSCuI0YticNrqn_AE0Gw1

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warszawa said:

Look for an amp that doubles its power output into 4 ohms, or thereabouts.

I think that's useful if comparing two amps with similar power into 8 Ohms (the one with higher power into 4 Ohms will have higher current capability) but not in absolute terms.

The way I run my power amp it is rated at 400 W into 8 Ohms and 600 W into 4 Ohms. I think this shows that current delivery is the limiting factor into a 4 Ohm load (as opposed to the maximum output voltage) but this doesn't mean it has 'low' current delivery capability. It will be a damn site higher than most.