gasolin

what is and which amps are a high current amp ?

Ultimately the maximum current anyone needs will depend on the desired listening level and the speakers, both in terms of sensitivity and how low the impedance drops. More current capability than is ever required isn't going to do anything magical.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think that's useful if comparing two amps with similar power into 8 Ohms (the one with higher power into 4 Ohms will have higher current capability) but not in absolute terms.

The way I run my power amp it is rated at 400 W into 8 Ohms and 600 W into 4 Ohms. I think this shows that current delivery is the limiting factor into a 4 Ohm load (as opposed to the maximum output voltage) but this doesn't mean it has 'low' current delivery capability. It will be a damn site higher than most.

my amp has 80 watt in both 8 and 4 ohm as i can see, in 4 ohm it actually has 80 watt higher peak power level than in 8 ohm and more than 160 watt, might not indicate it's a high current amp but i think it is for a not so expensive amp.

Edited by gasolin

1 minute ago, gasolin said:

my amp has 80 watt in both 8 and 4 ohm as i can see, in 4 ohm it actually has 80 watt higher peak power level than in 8 ohm and more than 160 watt, might not indicate it's a high current amp but i think it is for a not so expensive am

Do you mean that your amp is capable of 80 W into 8 Ohms and 160 W into 4 Ohms?

My old Harman Kardon PM650 was only rated at around 50W, but in the review lab tests they got peak current of 40A.

Certainly sounded like it had some poke!

Posted (edited)

not really, almost 2x times peak power in 8 ohm and almost 3 x more peak power in 4 ohm relative to the 80 watt in both 8 and 4 ohm 

To be honest, It's a little more difficult to say if a nad amp is a high current amp since many do deliver the same  continuous power in 8 and 4 ohm but i think they are, they have alot of energy for peak power,explosions in movies,dynamic music, that many amps don't have.

Edited by gasolin

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 2010*zuma said:

I think we may be heading for a national power shortage pandemic should I reach for my wall socket to plug this pretty thing in... 

.... Perhaps too I may have to part with my house to fund it😂😂🤣🤣

Think power shortages coming.. Everyday is just like after the queens speech on xmas day..the whole nation puts the kettle on...

Edited by Nearly bewildered
Poxy autocorrect

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, gasolin said:

not really, almost 2x times peak power in 8 ohm and almost 3 x more peak power in 4 ohm relative to the 80 watt in both 8 and 4 ohm 

To be honest, It's a little more difficult to say if a nad amp is a high current amp since many do deliver the same  continuous power in 8 and 4 ohm but i think they are, they have alot of energy for peak power,explosions in movies,dynamic music, that many amps don't have.

Don’t confuse the subjectively ‘fast’ or dynamic-sounding amplifier that handles peaks well with a high current output capability.  The two don’t necessarily occur in the same design.  The output current is a measurement or a calculation from watts and volts. 

An amplifier that yields the same wattage into an 8 and 4 ohm load is limited by its current capability. 

• Like 1

A quick couple of questions: What is the benefit of high current delivery in an amplifier, and why is this a desirable characteristic in my system?
If we can answer one or both it is easier judge the merits of a given amp into given loudspeakers.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, gasolin said:

Denon PMA-1600NE, PMA-2500NE and atlest 20 years back to the PMA-1500R and PMA-2000R are high current amps ?

Does such amps sound better than amps that are not a high current amp ? (a sign of high sound quality?)

2 or so years ago I decided that I wanted a new amp. I only added the Denon to the list of usual (mostly British) suspects because of a good review - yes I did lol.

No-one was more surprised than myself when I preferred the 1600NE to all the others. It's been in my system for 2 years and I have no regrets.

Whether it's due to high current or just general design I have no idea, it was just better, TME, than the others on offer.

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, Jazid said:

A quick couple of questions: What is the benefit of high current delivery in an amplifier, and why is this a desirable characteristic in my system?
If we can answer one or both it is easier judge the merits of a given amp into given loudspeakers.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I would say its main advantage is in being capable of handling a greater variety of speakers. Lower impedance 4 ohm designs often dip down to 2 ohms and a high current amp played loudly won’t flinch. 

19 hours ago, gasolin said:

what is and which amps are a high current amp ?

I would say your question has not been sufficiently answered.  I'm waiting for the same answer.  Where is @rabski?

My VTL amp is just 60 W, but gets stupid loud.  I'd like to know how or why this is the case compared to my 125W Arcam and 100W McIntosh.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

I would say your question has not been sufficiently answered.  I'm waiting for the same answer.  Where is @rabski?

My VTL amp is just 60 W, but gets stupid loud.  I'd like to know how or why this is the case compared to my 125W Arcam and 100W McIntosh.

Are they integrated or power amps?  Loudness differences are often more to do with input sensitivity than output power.  If one amp outputs max power at 2 volts input, and another at 200 mV input, the second one will generally be louder, even if it is lower powered. But would easily overload!

Edited by awkwardbydesign
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

Are they integrated or power amps? 

All integrated. Not just loud, there is so much more of everything even at low volumes.  The volume control gets to 11 and the windows shake.  I listen at about 9 o'clock on the VTL which is a valve amp whereas the others are SS.  Probably just confused the issue.

This probably isn't the case here but I'll just add that lower powered amps pushed such that distortion increases can sound louder that more capable amps that don't.

• Upvote 1