gasolin

what is and which amps are a high current amp ?

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Atkinson said there should be no problems for the VTL with speakers that don't drop below 4 homs.   D7 has a minimum impedance of 4.5 ohms. Equals good sound.  Nice Music. :)

Spot on!

3 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

A snippet from HiFi News about high power and current, featuring Marantz, Musical Fidelity, Perreaux and Krell.  

21B2FCD6-199D-44A1-9B44-0EAB49EEE83E.thumb.png.d25d381967600d59e6481fd29df35965.png

So an amp that doesn't increase power down to 2 ohm (1 ohm for the most demanding speakers in the world) isn't a real high current/ power full amp and won't be 100% stable with the most demading speakers like kappa 9

1219039558_Crossover-Kappa9_021.jpg.a0b0891187fda0d7bb88b930aabe5017.jpg

They for shure look nice even in black

315577209_DSC_4016-L1.jpg.8851a364fe0a14dbc5e2ee9522bc3f09.jpg

• Like 1

From my memory of a distant past Physics lesson, perhaps incorrectly.  Watts are a function of Amps and Volts.  Therefore, theoretically,  for example, you could generate 100 watts with 2 Amps and 50 Volts. ( low current).  You could also produce 100 watts with 50 amps and 2 Volts, ( high current)

The "best" analogy the Teacher could give is that current is the amount of electricity and voltage is the speed of it.  ( The petrol/diesel analogy may not be a bad one)

Perhaps someone with some expert knowledge of electronics could explain how this relates to amplifiers.

3 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

From my memory of a distant past Physics lesson, perhaps incorrectly.  Watts are a function of Amps and Volts.  Therefore, theoretically,  for example, you could generate 100 watts with 2 Amps and 50 Volts. ( low current).  You could also produce 100 watts with 50 amps and 2 Volts, ( high current)

The "best" analogy the Teacher could give is that current is the amount of electricity and voltage is the speed of it.  ( The petrol/diesel analogy may not be a bad one)

Perhaps someone with some expert knowledge of electronics could explain how this relates to amplifiers.

As a couple of us have posted above, the relevant equation here relating power (P), current (I) and load resistance (R) is P = I2R.

It's perhaps worth adding that what an amplifier does is to generate a voltage waveform that is the shape of the acoustic waveform you want the speakers to create. How much current is required to achieve this is then given by Ohm's law: I = V / R. All amplifiers will have a maximum voltage and current that they can output, which is why there is a limit to how loud they can drive speakers.

Super Wammer

Now for current delivery and amp protection,  I remember many years ago a dem with a Crown (Amcron) amp - where they shorted the speaker cables with wire (probably solder) and it melted the solder (obviously can double as a soldering iron .. without blowing up the amp) lol 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ChemMan said:

All integrated. Not just loud, there is so much more of everything even at low volumes.  The volume control gets to 11 and the windows shake.  I listen at about 9 o'clock on the VTL which is a valve amp whereas the others are SS.  Probably just confused the issue.

Have a look at the specs of each amp.  I'm guessing the loudest (VTL) has the lowest input level for max power, as I suggested.  Either that, or the logarithmic taper on the potentiometer is different.  http://www.resistorguide.com/potentiometer-taper/

I have 4 preamps and they are all different.

Edited by awkwardbydesign

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, gasolin said:

So an amp that doesn't increase power down to 2 ohm (1 ohm for the most demanding speakers in the world) isn't a real high current/ power full amp and won't be 100% stable with the most demading speakers like kappa 9

There’s no agreed definition that I’m aware of, but you can see that the more ‘powerful’ designs can keep going, even below 2 ohms.  Those speakers certainly look like a punishing load!

high current is like a diesel engine compared to a patrol engine ?
Bad analogy. Try this: High current is like big thighs. If you want/find attractive the idea of a partner with big thighs then all power to you, go get. If you want big thighs for a reason outside material choice then the parameters for that choice may need to be understood. Maybe shot putting competitions, maybe Hill walking? Just not 'because'.

Yes I can think of a few reasons why a s/s afficianado would want high current. But as a fan of easy loading speakers and small amps I am waiting to hear from you guys as to why?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

Okay.

Changed back to my Denon DRA-700AEDAB and it's more spacious,more airy, bigger,wider soundstage, apart from that, i wonder what a high currenty amp would do for my system.

I know with 2 amps that has the same power in 8 ohm that i like the one with the more open airy sound and a good soundstage over power and bass but if i had a denon high currenty amp pma1500r or 1500ae (both have the same power 2x70 watt in 8 ohm and 2x140 watt in 4 ohm) would i prefer those amp because they a high current amp or simply because it sounds better ?

Edited by gasolin

Posted (edited)

Always been puzzled by my NAD C368. It's rated at 80w into both an 8 and a 4 ohm speaker - "continuous" apparently (what that means i have no clue!).

And yet...

• IHF Dynamic Power
  • 8 Ohms 120W
    4 Ohms 200W
    2 Ohms 250W

I believe it determines the speaker load and outputs for 8 or 4 ohm depending how it rates the nominal impedance. Always been puzzled as usually amps double or a little less for 4ohm speaker loads. What's this about?

Curious is it high current?

What I can say is I recently demoed Wharfedale Linton Anniversaries (not an easy load) with an Arcam A39 CORRECTION it was an Arcam SA30 and on another day with my NAD C368. With the Arcam there was no bass and with the NAD the bass was back. I'm happy!

Edited by Headcoat

8 hours ago, gasolin said:

I know with 2 amps that has the same power in 8 ohm that i like the one with the more open airy sound and a good soundstage over power and bass but if i had a denon high currenty amp pma1500r or 1500ae (both have the same power 2x70 watt in 8 ohm and 2x140 watt in 4 ohm) would i prefer those amp because they a high current amp or simply because it sounds better ?

It depends whether your combination of desired listening level and speakers means that the extra current capability is useful or not. There is no universal answer here.

Extra power/current capability is never going to be a bad thing in itself but there are obviously other considerations too, or nobody would buy valve amplifiers...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Now that i have started a thread about high current amps it definitely makes me want  to buy a high current amp next time

One that is rated at double the power in 4 ohm.

Is there a list of high current amps?

Which amps does actually doubles  the wattage as the impedans decreases by 50% like the normal 8-4-2 and 1 ohm and not just on paper

Does high current have anything to do with damping fatcor ? Not double the wattage as the impedans decrease doesn't mean it can't deliver alot of current but what bout high currency vs high damping factor? (many amps seem to have less than 100 in damping factor)

Edited by gasolin

46 minutes ago, gasolin said:

One that is rated at double the power in 4 ohm.

This is not specifically what makes an amp high current. Have a read back through the thread...

You're also focusing on something that may be completely irrelevant to you.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, gasolin said:

Does high current have anything to do with damping fatcor

No, though they are often found together in higher performance SS designs.  Martin has covered the other points, and I’ve posted several bits about high current amps.  

A point possibly to add is that there isn’t - to my knowledge - ever a low current and high current version of an otherwise similar design.  Hence we can’t actually compare.  I’ve always had a preference for beefy SS amplifiers, but that’s just me.  As @Jazid says, many are won over by different designs that are coincidentally low current, and that is not an issue with easily driven speakers. 

• Like 1