Sign in to follow this  
Nearly bewildered

Been digging!

On 30/03/2020 at 11:29, toprepairman said:

You really shouldn't plant sprouting potatoes intended for consumption, it's a massive NoNo.

You risk importing potato blight into your garden which will easily spread into neighbours.

Only use proper seed potatoes from reputable suppliers which are guaranteed blight free.

Oh bugger. I've just planted four which I believed would be OK as per use by date and instructions, and the had sprouted... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toprepairman said:

AS per NB you are most likely to get away with it and be Ok. The problem is if you're unlucky, and it may only be 1 in a 100, and you get blight in the soil and won't be able to grow potatoes for a few years.

To be honest if i could get seed potatoes i would use them..but needs must when the devil drives..and im concerned how we going to feed ourselves certainly later this year..i feel very sad for nurseries and garden centres its armageddon for them! All for a ha'porth of tar the ship was lost..the ha'porth of tar being adequate testing...

The landscapers finished my back garden just before quarantine struck. All the old over-mature shrubs were grubbed up, the patio was enlarged and the lawn re-turfed. Unfortunately we can't now get the plants to replace what went. I sit on the patio looking out over a desert with a lawn in the middle of it, which I have to water for an hour a day. 

We'd plans for fruit trees, herbs and veg to feed us this summer and autumn, and attractive shrubs and plants to look at as we barbecued. Roll on 2021.

3 minutes ago, Guzziboy said:

The landscapers finished my back garden just before quarantine struck. All the old over-mature shrubs were grubbed up, the patio was enlarged and the lawn re-turfed. Unfortunately we can't now get the plants to replace what went. I sit on the patio looking out over a desert with a lawn in the middle of it, which I have to water for an hour a day. 

We'd plans for fruit trees, herbs and veg to feed us this summer and autumn, and attractive shrubs and plants to look at as we barbecued. Roll on 2021.

You can buy some online or seeds you can get in some supermarkets. Seems most plants are going to be destroyed soon as most garden centres are closed unless they can re-open in the next few weeks.

20 hours ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

Oh bugger. I've just planted four which I believed would be OK as per use by date and instructions, and the had sprouted... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Potatoes have a use by date?

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Guzziboy said:

It will do the soil good to leave it fallow if it had mature shrubs.. 

Wildlife, especially the birds will love it too...right time too as they are starting to nest..and will soon have young to feed.

Kindest regards Julian 

Spuds fairly chitted now...going in over weekend..broad beans going in too..new hose arrived yesterday.. So now i can get water up there.. Its game on! 

On 11/04/2020 at 18:20, Gaz38 said:

I've been digging too

IMG-20200408-141130.jpgIMG-20200411-160049.jpg

Nice wall..

Very good work..it makes my brick walls around the Garden look a bit meh!  Lol