HJG88

Help needed - Graham Audio LS6

Posted (edited)

Hi All

I was hoping someone might be able to give some hands on insight into the Graham Audio LS6.

I’ve been using the ls3/5 speakers for a little while, but as to be expected have found them a little wanting in bass. I typically listen to soul, jazz, disco and boogie and whilst these are amazing little speakers, it does become an issue when listening to the latter genres.

I don’t want to give up the clear mids, and i don’t want to venture into new speaker aesthetics and was thinking a shift up to the LS6 might solve my problems.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Edited by HJG88

Home demo is the way forward.

Happy Hunting.:geek::)

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Hate to overstate the obvious but if you are frim about keeping any speaker you use to the same size as the BBC monitors then I think you pursuit of deep and tuneful bass is doomed . To get what you are looking for needs bigger drivers that move more air anything else is just false bass . There are some small speakers of similar size that will be better balanced in the lower area than the BBC Monitors which are designed to favour mid/treble for well monitoring sound in portable studios . They will fill in a little more but they will never really shake the room or give the power of the funk .

I have a similar issue (not the size but the lack of low bass) with the Quad ESL57 I use they have nothing much below 30 Hz DSP helps but they are never going to act like a 15 inch woofer . However what they produce is clear and musical and they play funk very well enough to make me both smile and at times dance (not something anyone wants to see so there are advantages to having stay in) . I think you are either going to have get to love the limited but high quality your speakers are capable of and enjoy it or consider something a little larger .

Final alternative is to add a sub to your LS3/5A which I am sure many will tell you is the way to go .Lots on here use subs and are very happy with what they add . I have heard many and do not like them I never feel they integrate smoothly enough but suspect this is funtion of my own hearing rather than the use itself. You may well be different so that is another consideration . Rogers if I remember right did a pair of subs for Ls3/5A that acted as the stand for the monitors and lots liked this arrangement , not sure if you can source a pair but worth a trawl through the sales threads and e-bay .

Edited by bencat
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the Wam.

The AB1 was the Rogers sub/stand for the LS3/5a.

Whilst writing this I am sitting here very happily listening to the Radio Paradise FLAC stream on a 30 year old pair of Rogers LS5/9s and between 1976 and 1998 owned a pair of LS3/5s, my impressions are that voicing of the two speakers is very similar but obviously the LS5/9 has more bottom end and is also more efficient.

Several members of the South Coast bake of Crew did a direct comparison between my 5/9s and David's (Saladisfun) LS3/5as at one of Lurch's bake offs in late 2018, the conclusion of the 5 or 6 of us that were in the room was the same as my own. I have also owned the Rogers version of the LS6 and much prefer the sound of the 3/5's and the 5/9's, however I have not heard the Graham version but I have heard the current Graham LS5/9 and that is very similar to my Rogers which as they are built to the same BBC spec they should be.

As my Quad ESL989s' were too big and fragile to transport, I used my 5/9's in room 19 at the 2019 Kegworth show and I received lots of complements from visitors to the room, many of whom were hearing BBC monitors for the first time and were impressed with the quality and range of sound coming from a relitively small speaker

You have not filled out your profile but if you are anywhere near Hayling Island (Portsmouth ish) when the current restrictions are less severe you are more than welcome to bring your Rogers to my place to compare our speakers. Alternatively I would suggest finding a dealer who stocks both of the Graham models and if possible arrange for a home demo or visit their premises taking your speakers for comparison.

Edited by wizmax
  • Like 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the Wam.  I thought I’d seen somebody advertising similar here, but I may have got my wires crossed.  

Edited by Nopiano

9 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Welcome to the Wam.  I thought I’d seen somebody advertising similar here, but I may have got my wires crossed.  

I think you mean these.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Thanks, yes, I just found it too!  I was getting muddled with tuga’s LS3/6 which is more like a Spendor BC1.

Maybe @chris metcalfe can offer some insights? 

Edited by Nopiano

There is or was a used one available on PFM:

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/chartwell-ls6.238603/

Probably not more bass extension than a Kef LS50:

Kef LS50

roTemOz.jpg.

Graham LS6

cjBGHem.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

Sorry for the delayed response, I’m new round here and didn’t check back for a couple of days.

Great insight from everyone. I’ve been drawing to the conclusion that the LS6 might be a sideways move (or at the very least not addressing the quibble I have significantly). 

As highlighted above, the LS3/5 really excel at what they’re built to do and as they are used in a fairly confined home setting I don’t think switching to larger speakers would be suitable. 

I am considering ordering a sub from B K Subwoofers, namely the XLS200, having discussed my position over the telephone. They have a returns policy so if it doesn’t suit, or is much too overbearing, it’s not the end of the world.

I have looked into the AB1 extension, but the grain mismatch would be odd, and that’s if I can even find a pair.

Thanks for the offer to come check yours out! I’m based in Bristol these days, which would be a bit of a trek. However I used to live in the New Forest which would have been much easier.

2 hours ago, HJG88 said:

I have looked into the AB1 extension, but the grain mismatch would be odd, and that’s if I can even find a pair.

The AB1's were available in the same wood finishes as the LS3/5a's.

Might have to get hunting to see if I can spot a pair in that case