Paulssurround

What Songs Make Your System Sound Their Best?

If I want to test how the system sounds, after changes, upgrade /etc. I tend to play these that give the best detail and check any improvements :

NILS LOFGREN - LIVE ACOUSTIC, especially the first three tracks - YOU/STICKS AND STONES/SOME MUST DREAM - for Mid/High Range.

LOU REED - WALK ON THE WILD SIDE track - the Herbie Flowers bass line is the old standard for how good your Bass production is.

ELVIS COSTELLO - NORTH album for clarity of instruments.

I also agree with the Steely Dan comments amazing sound constantly.

Posted (edited)

Simon and Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair".

Joni Mitchell's "Chinese Cafe/Unchained Melody".

Jain's "Come".

Ane Brun's version of "Halo".

Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald's "Isn't this a lovely day"

Allegri's "Miserere": The Tallis Scholars' first recording.

Heck: everything sounds magnificent.

Edited by Eldarboy
  • Like 1

Anything by Patricia Barber, I think the best production, bar none.

also Cassandra Wilson, great production and innovative arrangements.

Liberty (Anette Askvik - Liberty)
Ode to Billy Joe (Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue)
Child (Marla Glen - Live: Here I Am)
Hot Shot (Sarah McCoy - Blood Siren - 24/48)
Eyes on the Prize (Mavis Staples - Live: Hope at the Hideout)
Death Letter (Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Daughter - 24/192)
Empty Dream (Youn Sun Nah - Lento - 24/96)

• Upvote 1

This is great! Lots of suggestions for new listening material. :)

Mike.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, golke53 said:

Rare Earth "Get Ready" (live, long version 22 minutes).

Yes, really enjoyed that! Very 70's. With the system you have, it must sound amazing!

Edited by SnapperMike

11 hours ago, golke53 said:

Rare Earth "Get Ready" (live, long version 22 minutes).

1 hour ago, SnapperMike said:

Yes, really enjoyed that! Very 70's. With the system you have, it must sound amazing!

Giving it a digital spin right now. I just want to get up and dance!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Giving it a digital spin right now. I just want to get up and dance!

Then dance! In fact, we can dance together, virtually! It's good for the mood and spirit. Something which might be lacking currently.

I wonder if we could coordinate a virtual Linn club get together? Perhaps we all start playing a certain track at a specific time and dance? Just a thought.

Mike.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Many of my favourite albums that show my system to good effect have already been mentioned, but I’d add a SACD rip of Norah Jones’ Come Away With Me.

However, we do need to be careful here that we’re not just confirming Alan Parsons’s somewhat negative view of us "Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment."

Of course, he’s got it completely back to front. The point of a good hifi is not having fetishes about the gear itself and using a particularly good recording to show it off. The important thing is that it makes a wider range of music accessible and enjoyable for us than would otherwise be the case.

Edited by Newton John
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Newton John said:

Many of my favourite albums that show my system to good effect have already been mentioned, but I’d add a SACD rip of Norah Jones’ Come Away With Me.

How did you make a SACD rip? A friend of mine has done it and I know how he did it but he needed a special player that I don't have.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Newton John said:

However, we do need to be careful here that we’re not just confirming Alan Parsons’s somewhat negative view of us "Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment."

Of course, he’s got it completely back to front. The point of a good hifi is not having fetishes about the gear itself and using a particularly good recording to show it off. The important thing is that it makes a wider range of music accessible and enjoyable for us than would otherwise be the case.

I think the title of this thread confirms Alan's somewhat negative view of us.

However, judging from the responses here, it seems that most of us are just music lovers. The conversation quickly became about songs that we love, and not the hifi systems.

Of course, there are some hobbyists amongst us.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I think the title of this thread confirms Alan's somewhat negative view of us.

However, judging from the responses here, it seems that most of us are just music lovers. The conversation quickly became about songs that we love, and not the hifi systems.

Of course, there are some hobbyists amongst us.

Many of us are music lovers and hobbyists at the same time.    😌

There will always be people that wants to get more performance out of their cars, more quality out of their lives, and become ever more connected with their music.

Linn survives as a company from all of us that strive for better sound quality through upgrades.   

22 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

Can’t find the 22min version on Qobuz. Only the live at Chicago version.