Sign in to follow this  
Carrington

Compatibility and any opinions gladly received!

Evening all!

Due to being stuck indoors (bar stressful visits to supermarkets) with at least one neighbour at home full time I can't use my hifi, also because my OH is working from home. So if I'm going to get to listen to any music for the foreseeable, I need some headphones urgently! I have a broken old pair of Beyerdynamic DT531s which may be salvageable with a small expenditure and a careful application of superglue but having tested them recently there was something about the sound that just wasn't right. A bit dull perhaps. So having looked around I've seen some new Sennheiser HD650 going for what seems a reasonable price, sub £300. So, is there going to be any issues plugging them into my Majik (LK)? Plus if anyone has an opinion on them I'd be grateful for those too. Given the current situation I'm not going to be able to get any auditions so it's going to have to be a brave punt or not at all!

Thanks all :)

I’m a big fan of Sennheiser headphones. I use HD580s with my Majik DSM and love listening to them - about 70% of my listening is done that way thanks to living in a terraced house with neighbours on the side closest to my hifi room having a young baby.  I mainly listen to Americana/country, blues and rock. No idea how they would sound with classical. 

Ian

• Upvote 1

I guess you first should find out which type you like:

Over-Ears, On-Ears or In-Ears? 
With ANC or not? Wired or not?

Personally I love my In-Ears, small and light, perfect when travelling or at home, great sound...

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Drop.com will get you the best (better than you quoted) price for 650's. I was listening to mine last night MDSM>SMSL SP200 THX> 650's and for the above mentioned price they will make you smile. For the record they sound great straight out of both my world class DACs (see profile), but this amp helps full them out. I keep thinking I want some Audeze LCD somethings, but then think I'd rather have Katalyst. Then put on my 650's and say, these are pretty dang sweet, and comfy. 

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx-eu/talk#discussions

That is the link for the EU where they had a slightly higher price, but the duty had been paid. It looks like they're not doing it anymore.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

There's the ongoing drop. Report back how it goes. I got in on the very first drop at $199.

As an aside, I had a chance to listen to mine against a pair of HD 600's, and I think I'd prefer the 600's as they are a bit flatter. For me however, it is all about the price as I want to put my cash into the main system. Drop gets shipping right too. It's often not quick (they seem to have a speedy option for these), but it was only $12 too virus free Taiwan, and it attracted no duty then either. $211 is the cost of one of my power cords ffs!

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all, very helpful. Drop.com seem out of stock as you say but I also feel in these difficult times that some loyalty is in order so I'll be buying from within the UK. I'll cast my net a bit further too, HD600s seem a great option too, just need to factor in that the 3m cables will need replacing as no quite long enough.

• Like 1

No, the EU one is out of stock, not the main one. I think they were trying to try to save customers hassles with duty etc, but maybe it didn't work. The main drop is still ongoing, read the comment threads or post a question about UK shipping. You'll be happy with either. Every penny is going to count very soon.

• Upvote 1

Ordered a pair of HD650s! Decided to stick with a UK retailer in the end, yes it was more money but we need to support our local dealers or they'll disappear. Also I'll have them in a few days, free delivery and easy to return if there are any problems. Now just need to sort out a longer cable as 3m doesn't quite reach my sofa!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

There is a myriad of cables for these headphones. Lots of custom options too. There are several threads on headfi including mods and cables. I'll bet there's a thread on them on the Wam outside this Linn ghetto too. The HD 6xx's came with a 3.5mm termination, I think you're coming out of something Linn with a 6.5mm jack. You can get an adapter, and there was one included in my box, but it's something to think about.

• Upvote 1

Received my 5m cable today so finally I can recline on my sofa and listen to music :). Getting used to the Sennheisers, I don't have a frame of reference but I'm finding my feet tapping along to the music so that must be a good sign. Only tricky bit so far is getting settled back on the sofa before the first track is nearly half way through!

The new cable looks great too, hand made in red and black, good quality plugs, not sure if it makes any difference to sound quality but it definitely isn't any worse.. So very happy, money well spent!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 29/03/2020 at 13:32, Carrington said:

Ordered a pair of HD650s! Decided to stick with a UK retailer in the end, yes it was more money but we need to support our local dealers or they'll disappear. Also I'll have them in a few days, free delivery and easy to return if there are any problems. Now just need to sort out a longer cable as 3m doesn't quite reach my sofa!

You might wish to contact Audio Sensibility in Canada: the proprietor Steve makes magnificent upgrade cables. I got one from him to replace the Cardas I had for my HD800s, and his blew the Cardas out of the water at a fraction of the cost.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Carrington said:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm sorted now and just enjoying the music :)

I strapped mine on tonight for a little session. Warm fat bass, wonderful mids, nice sparkly upper register...out of my PHONE, no amplification, only my quad DAC. When I listened to the 600's they were flatter without the bass bump, but these are still really great for $210 delivered. How are you liking yours?

Thanks for asking :). I'm still getting used to headphones rather than speakers but settling in nicely. They do seem to show up poor recordings more readily than my speakers but do have more detail. Good response throughout the range but as I said above, I have no frame of reference. Mind you now I'm wondering if I should go down the route of a dedicated headphone amp rather than using the Linn headphone socket? But hopefully using these regularly won't be necessary long term so I'll probably just enjoy as is.

Posted (edited)

The biggest buzz in the headphone world right now seems to be these THX amps. I bought the SMSL one because it's cheapest, and it was an improvement in clarity and noise floor over my Aune X7s. Some folks are gaga over tubes with 650's, I want clean and clear. That is what the THX are, wire with gain. Right now I've decided my best setup is to come out of the pre out on my MDSM with blacks into the SMSL. I tried coming out of the dedicated two channel of my Oppo, but found the Linn a bit more musical. The 650's are not the pinnacle of clarity. I tried straight out of the MDSM vs the SMSL and found it's added power made the low end deliver more accurate slam vs straight out of the MDSM....but it was close. Like you, cord length was a consideration in all of this, and the amp allows me to get closer to my preferred listening position with the various cabling involved. Amped is much better than straight out of my LG v30 too, but it does a yeoman job considering the impedance of the 650's and it's relatively small output.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smsl-sp200-thx-aaa-888-balanced-amp.918070/

That's the headfi thread on it. For me it was the right price/performance ratio. Phones are a financial distraction from my main system. I am glad I have this rig when I need it though.

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Food for thought, I will run with what I have for a while and see how I get on. I don't want to buy extra boxes if they become redundant once I get the house back to myself during the day!

Sign in to follow this