rabski

Brush for record-cleaning machine

What does everyone use to work the fluid into the grooves before vacuuming? I have a Clearaudio one, but it's starting to fall apart. Any suggestions?

Super Wammer

4AB71324-A610-455F-B6C1-6C765D731753.jpeg

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

I use a version of these Richard & find them much better use than purpose made record cleaning brushes as you have more control. They have hog bristles which are much better than synthetic & they are long enough that you can periodically cut them down as the ends fray a bit. They do zero damage & can honestly say my records have never been cleaner or quieter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GERRATT-4x-Angled-1-FITCH-BRUSH-Slant-Paint-Lining-NATURAL-BRISTLE-Long-Reach/402080669997?hash=item5d9de0212d:g:QoMAAOSwKqNcbQ6Y

2 minutes ago, Speedracer said:

I use a version of these Richard & find them much better use than purpose made record cleaning brushes as you have more control. They have hog bristles which are much better than synthetic & they are long enough that you can periodically cut them down as the ends fray a bit. They do zero damage & can honestly say my records have never been cleaner or quieter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GERRATT-4x-Angled-1-FITCH-BRUSH-Slant-Paint-Lining-NATURAL-BRISTLE-Long-Reach/402080669997?hash=item5d9de0212d:g:QoMAAOSwKqNcbQ6Y

Thanks Brook. I've got quite a few of those and similar, but I've never thought about using them for records.

Super Wammer
26 minutes ago, rabski said:

What does everyone use to work the fluid into the grooves before vacuuming? I have a Clearaudio one, but it's starting to fall apart. Any suggestions?

Sorry Rabs, couldn’t resist the joke.. one of those days today 💭

1 minute ago, radiant red said:

Sorry Rabs, couldn’t resist the joke.. one of those days today 💭

Ain't nobody here going to moan about any jokes at the moment, believe me :cool:

The clearaudio one is great. You can replace the adhesive felt strips by the way. 

• Upvote 1

One of these came with my VPI 16.5 when I bought it second hand some 10 years ago, still in brilliant condition.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VPI-HW-16-5-Replacement-Record-Cleaning-Brush-Hand-Held/293274789774?epid=1748041189&hash=item44488a278e:g:LbwAAOSwz1pdoaEf

I'm by no means tight when it comes to paying for quality components, but £40 for a brush seems to be pushing it a bit. Jeez, you can buy a perfectly reasonable cartridge for that...

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

I have posted this a number of times before - I ditched the camel hair or whatever hair you care for brush for these.  Thousands of mohair bristles get right down into the groove .. .. I also bought a clothes brush made from goat hair (about 2.5 inches wide first, the advantage being you at least guaranteed more getting into the groove than the piddly little brushes they supply for record cleaning machines and the bristles were more tightly packed.

Anyway this is my recommendation for what its worth .. 

mohair brush.jpg

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I have to thank uzzy for his forum recommendation in an older thread for those Tiling Logistics paint applicator pads. They work very well indeed. I also have the Clearaudio Pure Groove felt pad cleaner, and a goat hair brush. They are now both left unused after experimenting with these paint pads. I cut the pad into four pieces (as they are quite large), rinse in distilled water to remove any loose fibres and then they are good to go - used in conjunction with an Okki Nokki RCM. They do need a little adjustment to the technique used compared to a goats hair brush, but that’s not too difficult for an evolving species!

• Like 1

Stiff paintbrush, the ones with white nylon bristles. 

Pro-Ject do a replacement goats hair brush for 25 pounds:

https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/VCS-Brush?DepartmentIds=1&BrandIds=2