halloweenman

Warm and Smooth Standmount Speaker

Posted (edited)

Looking for recommendations on warm and smooth sounding standmounts?

Can only get 1ft behind speakers. Room about 4.3m x 4m.

No particular budget.

Musicality is all important. I simply want to sit back and enjoy the music.

I find the tweeter too prominent in most new speakers I've tried, which give a false impression of detail.

I'm really enjoying my Audioquest Nighthawk headphones at the moment so speakers with similar sound signature would be ideal.

Thanks.

Edited by halloweenman

Posted (edited)

I am sitting hear reading this whilst listening to my Rogers LS5/9, which are only an inch or so from a wall,  a 1980's BBC monitoring design with similar presentation to the legendary LS3/5 but with more bass, treble is smooth and clear with no hint of fatigue even after a listening session of many hours. I also have a pair of Rogers LS2's with similar voicing but a much lower price. I agree with you about the prominent treble of a lot of modern speakers and find the BBC type sound far more acceptable, there is a reason that many of these BBC designs are being manufactured again by the likes of Stirling, Graham, Falcon,  Harbeth and Rogers, to name but a few.

Edited by wizmax
  • Like 1

Huge list, mostly falling into the general category of being 'British' in some slightly old fashioned sense.

I'd take out small boxes because only the thin walled cabinet approach does 'warm' in tiny boxes and not really even then.

Top of my list would be Tannoy (the new legacy models), AudioNote UK J's or E's, Spendor, Harbeth (7's or larger) or maybe Wharefdale's latest Linton Heritage. Much less money but apparently sounding exactly as you require. Harbeths esp are quite happy 1' from a rear wall. The HL5+ would be ideal. A more detailed and refined Linton, but twice the price. Avoid anything rear ported.

What's the amp? Valves might help you down that route too?

• Like 3

No particular budget.

I find the tweeter too prominent in most new speakers I've tried, which give a false impression of detail.

I'm really enjoying my Audioquest Nighthawk headphones at the moment so speakers with similar sound signature would be ideal.

Thanks.

My WLM La Scala’s fit the bill perfectly.

93db sensitivity, adjustable bass port underneath as well as treble control on the tweeters let’s you fine tune everything to the nth degree.

Paper tweeter rather than metal on these eliminates the harshness associated with a lot of tweeters.

Only trouble is trying to find a pair.

Posted (edited)

@wizmax Are you using the new Rogers or an older pair? I'm interested to know what the new ones sound like.

I'm using Moon SimAudio 330A power amp. Those Tannoy look nice but maybe a tad big for my modest room. Likewise AudioNote J or E. What about K?

Anyone know how Harbeth 30.1 compare to Graham audio ls5/9 or new Rogers ls5/9? Thanks.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Edited by halloweenman

How about a pair of Tannoy Monitor Gold 3LZ loudspeakers? I'm well pleased with mine, which I've had since 2006. Modest size works well in my Studio Flat... 👍 👍 👍 

My WLM La Scala’s fit the bill perfectly.
93db sensitivity, adjustable bass port underneath as well as treble control on the tweeters let’s you fine tune everything to the nth degree.
Paper tweeter rather than metal on these eliminates the harshness associated with a lot of tweeters.
Only trouble is trying to find a pair.

Oops, sorry just read again and you’re after standmounts whereas mine are floor standing although there is a monitor version of these.

Posted (edited)

The pair I have were purchased about 18 months ago and are probably 30 years old, I use them in my study in a second system and am delighted with them, I listen to them far more than the Quad ESL 2905's in my main system. The Rogers were the star of the system I exhibited in room 19 at the 2019 Kegworth show and attracted many many favourable comments in a room much larger than my study. 

By coincidence I attended the 2018 Leamington show and Jonathon Billington was using a new pair of Graham LS5/9s pair to demonstrate his equipment and I had a long listen to the system as I was picking up my secondhand pair on my way home that day. My impressions were that the new Grahams' sounded very similar to my old Rogers which as they are built to the same BBC specification, they should.

I also attended the HiFi News show last October at the Ascot Racecourse and had a long listen to the new Rogers LS5/9s and again was very happy that mine sound very similar to the new version

Edited by wizmax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, halloweenman said:

No particular budget.

Thanks.

The problem you have is 3 fold: Firstly, find speakers that will do justice to the Moon  power amp. Secondly, finding ones small enough for your needs and thirdly, a pair that won't put a huge drain on your wallet.

What modern speakers have you heard and not liked?

• Upvote 1

I haven’t heard a pair of BBC monitors that I didn’t like a lot. I’ve had a pair of Graham Audio LS5/9s and Harbeth P3ESRs and really enjoyed both. Great for longterm listening. You might be surprised at what the smaller monitors (LS3/5a & P3ESR) can do. The bigger monitors sound bigger but do lose a little of the magic of the little ones.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've always found the Revolver Music 1's warm. They are rear ported though I have no issues with six inches behind them and the wall. Note: I like bass! 

Finding my new Quad S2's are warm'ish and maybe getting warmer as they 'run in'. Detailed yes but the treble is not harsh. My one question mark on them is a little peak at around 3khz which can present as subjective harshness.

The Quad z1's, that I will be home demoing when this is over, actually have a dip in this presence region and at shop demo sounded fantastically warm, fluid and detailed to me. Almost holographic on some music.

I have a slightly unorthodox opinion that often brightness / harshness is in fact peaks in approx. the 2-5khz presence frequencies, and not harsh treble above those frequencies. This might be down to my own personal hearing but I do see a lot of people finding things harsh when that region is emphasised. 

Of course, some speakers just have too bright treble, but the mark of a warm speaker imo is how they handle the 2-5khz frequency range.

Edited by Headcoat
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Halloweenman, it is unfortunate the M30.2 40th Anniversary didn't work for you. I presume you find the M30.1 to sound smoother and less hot in the treble than the M30.2 40th Anni?

Apart from the M30.1 have you listened to the C7ES3? I find the C7s to be an overall warmer sounding design than the M30.1 with a less sparkling treble. However the C7 and SHL5+ play it a bit safe than the M30 series, sounding flatter or more even. The M30.1 and 30.2 have a more vivid presentation and dynamic sound but lack a bit of airiness of the domestic models.

Another modern speaker which I find to possess an incredibly smooth treble and warmish sound is the Marten Duke 2. Nevertheless, it lacks the dynamics and vivid presentation of the Harbeth. There is a certain lightness to the Marten's House sound as opposed to a dense or thicker feel of the Harbeth especially the M30.1/30. 2. The Harbeth is midrange focused hence the difference is expected.

As others have suggested, perhaps other BBC speaker options may be more appropriate.

Good luck.

Edited by ryder
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Warm and smooth. Relaxing.  I'd say a job for a nice pair of B&Ws.  I've heard all the modern 700 and 800 series, and they sound good. I had their CDM1se for nearly 15 years. Warm, smooth, relaxing and luxurious bass for a small speaker.    I also would not say that a Harbeth 30.1 or 30.2 is warm.  Smooth yes, but bass lite for me and my tastes.  Mind you, the Harbeth is probably more musical than a B&W.

Edited by ChemMan

Posted (edited)

ChemMan, I too had the B&W CDM1SE for nearly 15 years if not more. I bought it in 1997 when it was launched during that time. I briefly tried the N805 and compared it to the CDM1SE. Sold the N805 and kept the old CDMs. The CDM1SE sounded better to my ears.

The N805 sounded too warm in the treble and lacking in detail for my taste..

Edited by ryder

possibly the harbeth p3esr with the right amp 

• Like 2