halloweenman

Warm and Smooth Standmount Speaker

Posted (edited)

I really like the Kef Reference 103. They're about £300 for  good pair and represent old school, BBC refinement and hours of fatigue free listening. If that's what you are looking for, they are excellent. They are a sealed cabinet with a steel baffle so there are no placement issues that I am aware of.

Edited by oldius

Harbeth P3ESR, Rogers LS3/5a Classic, Harbeth M30.1/30.2, ProAc D2, Rosso Fiorentino Giglo, KEF LS50, ProAc Tablette Anniversary, Dynaudio Special Forty 😬

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

For new, and under £1200, I’d suggest the new Wharfedale Linton, given your preference for rolled off sound.  The only proviso is that you’d need to test in your room as the boundary might create unwanted boom.

For half that and less, the Q Acoustics models tend to be the least bright amongst budget speakers.  Several have wall mounting kits so proximity should not be an issue. 

Edited by Nopiano

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, halloweenman said:

Looking for recommendations on warm and smooth sounding standmounts?

Can only get 1ft behind speakers. Room about 4.3m x 4m.

No particular budget.

Musicality is all important. I simply want to sit back and enjoy the music.

I find the tweeter too prominent in most new speakers I've tried, which give a false impression of detail.

I'm really enjoying my Audioquest Nighthawk headphones at the moment so speakers with similar sound signature would be ideal.

Thanks.

How about a nice pair of Celef (now Proac) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celef-Mini-Professional-H-E-Vintage-Speakers/223953957948?hash=item3424b2343c:g:k1EAAOSwu5NdTUrb   s-l1600.jpg

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

For new, and under £1200, I’d suggest the new Wharfedale Linton, given your preference for rolled off sound.  The only proviso is that you’d need to test in your room and the boundary might create unwanted boom.

For half that and less, the Q Acoustics models tend to be the least bright amongst budget speakers.  Several have wall mounting kits so proximity should be an issue. 

I’ve heard those Lintons, very impressive and might have considered them instead of my Harbeths but long term, I knew the sound of the Harbeths and spent over twice as much lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, halloweenman said:

Can only get 1ft behind speakers. Room about 4.3m x 4m.

Please disregard my earlier suggestion on the Marten Duke 2. It needs about 2.5ft space from the wall behind it to sound good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ryder said:

Please disregard my earlier suggestion on the Marten Duke 2. It needs about 2.5ft space from the wall behind it to sound good.

But but ... they sound amazing! I miss mine. I let them go.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, halloweenman said:

@wizmax Are you using the new Rogers or an older pair? I'm interested to know what the new ones sound like.

I'm using Moon SimAudio 330A power amp. Those Tannoy look nice but maybe a tad big for my modest room. Likewise AudioNote J or E. What about K?

Anyone know how Harbeth 30.1 compare to Graham audio ls5/9 or new Rogers ls5/9? Thanks.

Keep the suggestions coming.

The bigger speakers may look big, but will work in that room size very well I think. There is, IME a direct connection between 'warmth' and cabinet size. Small cabs simply don't resonate enough and tend much more towards a lean, accurate sound. That can be lovely ofc, but not what you said you wanted.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The speakers I have exactly fit that bill: My Audio Design 1920. British made stand mount speaker, warm and lush with good bass. Perfect.

If you don't like them you can send them back. Quite a few reviews out there.   https://madengland.com/

https://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-audio-design-1920-loudspeakers.html

Trunk-and-MAD-1.jpg

Edited by Rayymondo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sonus Faber Chameleon B ... should give you the rich smooth sound you're looking for and downward firing bass port should allow easier placement near a wall.

https://www.whathifi.com/sonus-faber/chameleon-b/review

https://hometheaterreview.com/sonus-faber-chameleon-b-bookshelf-speakers-reviewed/

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/11/sonus-faber-chameleon-b-speakers-review.html?m=1

Edited by t1no

Super Wammer

As others have said a BBC type monitor or Audio Note. Have briefly heard B&W707S2 and they sounded smooth but very different to the BBC sound. 

18 hours ago, hifinutt said:

possibly the harbeth p3esr with the right amp 

Agreed very warm and smooth sounding speakers- but not for everyone, that said if you like what they do they are the best at it.:geek:

18 hours ago, tIANcI said:

Harbeth P3ESR, Rogers LS3/5a Classic, Harbeth M30.1/30.2, ProAc D2, Rosso Fiorentino Giglo, KEF LS50, ProAc Tablette Anniversary, Dynaudio Special Forty 😬

Good time to be a fan of small speeks.:testy1: