halloweenman

Warm and Smooth Standmount Speaker

Super Wammer
40 minutes ago, halloweenman said:

Could be an issue with the Marantz, when nothing is connected other than speakers there is a slight hum/buzz from the left channel only. Right channel is quiet, no issue.

Yes, unless it’s a RIAA equalised phono input I’d also expect all but silence from any line input.  Are you using the matched Ruby CD player?  
The amp is presumably not picking up mains hum from another device nearby?  Chargers, Dect phones and routers tend to be the worst!  

Glad you’re getting the Marantz character.  There’s a lot to like there.  

Yes, the hum/buzz is on all inputs. Not aware of anything nearby that could cause it. I suspect it's the amp itself.

I have listened to the Ruby CD but so far prefer the MacBook + Hugo TT. Both sound superb. Hugo just that bit more natural.

Okay, perfect speakers for me and my room - Harbeth 30.1 mids, Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon headphones top end, and PMC 25.22 bottom end.

Does such a thing exist?

Posted (edited)

Seems I may well have resolved my issue.

Just got my hands on a demo pair of Spendor Classic 2/3 to see how they compare with Harbeth 30.1.

Sure enough whatever was irritating me on the top end of 30.1 has now gone. I think I prefer the tweeter integration of the Spendor.

I'm REALLY enjoying listening to the Spendors. Plays everything well. Superb speakers. Right up there with Harbeth 30.1 and ATC SCM40.

I've listened to a lot of speakers, dacs, and amps over the last couple of years. This combination of Moon 330A, Hugo TT, and Spendor 2/3 is as good as, if not better, than anything I have heard before.

Edited by halloweenman
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, halloweenman said:

Just got my hands on a demo pair of Spendor Classic 2/3 to see how they compare with Harbeth 30.1.

Sure enough whatever was irritating me on the top end of 30.1 has now gone. I think I prefer the tweeter integration of the Spendor.

I'm REALLY enjoying listening to the Spendors. Plays everything well. Superb speakers. Right up there with Harbeth 30.1 and ATC SCM40.

I've listened to a lot of speakers, dacs, and amps over the last couple of years. This combination of Moon 330A, Hugo TT, and Spendor 2/3 is as good as, if not better, than anything I have heard before.

Happy days.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, halloweenman said:

Damn I was going to recommend the Spendor Classic series but you beat me to the punch! Have fun with that setup and please share some pictures :).

Edited by KnivesOut

With so many suggestions, you've probably had your fill. But I'm bored so he's my 3 to consider.

1. Wilson Benesch Arc

2. Any Sonus Faber

3. Any Kralk Audio

Super Wammer
15 hours ago, halloweenman said:

spendor.jpg

Lovely.. and as the saying goes, what works for you is all that matters. Fine choice indeed

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well I have tried a few small speakers,Harbeth,Focal,Ruark,ATC and Sonus Faber but the best I’ve heard are my current Raidho XT1’s. .

These are the smoothest out of all those and they also have a better more saturated tone  plus an amazing treble response and imaging that’s top drawer. They just disappear and leave the band/music right in front of you.   Simply Stunning Speakers  that show my three times more expensive Tannoys how it should be done !

Edited by Hifimad1