Leem

New speaker shortlist

After much tweaking and faffing during these times of isolation I now have sublime treble and soundstage from my PMC FB1s.

The bass is sadly a bit weak, which is surprising from a TL speaker, but is being supplemented by a small REL subwoofer.

My main issue though is I seem to have lost all my mid range.

So if I was to get a new pair of speakers, what would be on your shortlist?

I'm looking for a full soundstage, filling the room so I forget the speakers, maintaining the treble I have and boosting the bass and mid range

I've currently got JBL L100 classics and Klipsch Heresy IVs on the list.

I'd like to listen to Polk L800s but don't appear to be available in the UK and they aren't answering my messages 

Rest of kit is Sugden IA4, and an LP12/origin live silver/dv20 and squeezebox for streaming.

Room is approx 20x15 with a sloping ceiling behind speakers (it's a loft conversion), but speakers are approx 4 feet into room.

Music taste is wide but mostly comes back to hard rock music or acoustic singer/songwriters. 

I know the answer is go and audition, but this is in anticipation for when we're allowed to!

I'm in North West England so somewhat limited for auditions compared with being in the south east. 

Tannoy Legacy Arden's. Case closed :) Single point source speakers like the tannoys excel at filling a room with out of the box music. They sound powerful but easy, are room tuneable and don't need monster amps to power them. The Sugden integrated would sound amazing at a guess. I've heard them driven by a 21 and that was impressive enough.

The JBL's are also on my list, but the Klipsch would not be. Sublime when perfectly room and amp matched on most music but if it's wrong it's very wrong IME.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I love the wam, straight to a pair of speakers 3k over the price I said my wife would kill me at 😉

Thanks, hadn't thought about Tannoy

Edited by Leem

Super Dealer

Careless to lose the midrange where did you hear it last?

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Leem said:

I love the wam, straight to a pair of speakers 3k over the price I said my wife would kill me at 😉

Thanks, hadn't thought about Tannoy

Can't see a mention of budget or wife in your initial post!

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, wizmax said:

Can't see a mention of budget or wife in your initial post!

That's bizarre because I definitely wrote that sentence!

What it originally said was, "no real budget but I think my wife would have something to say if I went over 5k"

• Like 1

5K is a cracking budget. Ten inch Tannoys are renown for their mid range and legacy Eatons are well within your budget. I don’t know what limitations you have to speaker placement and seating but get up close and personal and you should be rewarded with a very intimate experience that will take a lot of room interaction out of the equation.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

5K is a cracking budget. Ten inch Tannoys are renown for their mid range and legacy Eatons are well within your budget. I don’t know what limitations you have to speaker placement and seating but get up close and personal and you should be rewarded with a very intimate experience that will take a lot of room interaction out of the equation.

I have a reasonable amount of flexibility on placement so can be a fair way from room boundaries,

You are in Luck.  Two summers ago, I heard thirty four different speakers all in your price range.  The reviews can be found under threads I started like Spendor D7 and Harbeth SHL5+. Floorstanders in Ghent, and more.

I heard PMC, Monitor Audio, B&W, Kef new and old R series, Audio Physics, Dynaudio, Focal, Kii3

After demoing everything in shops with my own amplifier,  the short list for home demo became:

Spendor D7

Harbeth SHL5+

Kef Ref 1

ProAc D30 rs

ATC SCM 40

Q Acoustics Concept 500

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cable Monkey said:

yes , they are pretty superb https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/tannoy-legacy-eaton-loudspeakers--atacama-slx300-stands-21914-p.asp

Edited by hifinutt
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I do not envy you - trying to choose speakers is hard.  Over the years my change in speakers has been down to a visit to listen to someone elses system or in a hifi dealer when something just grabs your attention and sounds so much better than anything you heard before. 

I was always in the position of knowing what I wanted and being unable to afford them or for the wife to accept them.

I did a quick check through ebay for speakers under £3000 (that being the price ish of the JBLs you mentioned) and the choice is enormous and there are many I could live happily with from Sonus Faber to ATC  

However I do love my Art Impressions - so if i was in your shoes I would be looking to dig a bit deeper and buy these :D https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Art-Loudspeakers-Alnico-8-Signature/193367428083?hash=item2d0598cbf3:g:Y-QAAOSwfadeXlAr

Check through the Ebay listings - read the reviews and take your time - https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Home-Speakers-Subwoofers/14990/bn_2315262?LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&_sop=16&_udhi=3000  and good luck in finding exactly what your ears want.

I had an IA4 and it drove 10" Tannoys (Turnberrys) beautifully.  If you are happy with second-hand, Turnberrys, Stirlings and older Kensingtons would all be in budget.

Posted (edited)

Check through the Ebay listings - read the reviews and take your time - https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Home-Speakers-Subwoofers/14990/bn_2315262?LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&_sop=16&_udhi=3000  and good luck in finding exactly what your ears want.

Gradient Helsinki 1.5 Loudspeakers (Pair)

I don't care how they sound!

Helsinki.jpg

Edited by Rayymondo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, those Gradients have to be one of the ugliest speakers I've ever seen haha.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

remember reading a review about them , certainly a marmite speaker