Leem

New speaker shortlist

I think that the problems may be lower down.

The midrange is divided into three sub-ranges, my guess is that the problem is either in the lower-midrange or maybe even in the upper-bass:

https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/

5 minutes ago, toms wait said:

Just looking at the photo and I guess you have thought of this and there is a good reason why not.  But why not have them on the door wall.

I've got them firing down the long axis of the room. And I did used to have them on the other wall, completely not right

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
18 minutes ago, Leem said:

Despite how the photo looks the speakers aren't under the sloped ceiling but further out. And yep, I have had them further out and closer, I then lose all my stereo image and get a wishy washy sound stage

Oh, and a pissed off wife as they then get in the way of being able to come into the room through the door on the left

Hah! Forget the suggestion then.. I get the impression that the room and speaker position might be the problem and not the speakers themselves though.

8 minutes ago, rdale said:

Hah! Forget the suggestion then.. I get the impression that the room and speaker position might be the problem and not the speakers themselves though.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but I reckon it could be better, and I have upgradeitis

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, rdale said:

@LeemYes, I fear the room is far from ideal, and frankly the idea of spending up to five grand on speakers strikes me as not a good way forward.  Also, larger floorstanders wouldn’t be my choice, though I appreciate one photo isn’t capable of conveying the whole layout. 

Counterintuitively, I’d suggest that some relatively modest stand mounted speakers might work better.  Do you have a friendly dealer that might courier something to you for audition?  What else have you liked aside from your PMC?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

@LeemYes, I fear the room is far from ideal, and frankly the idea of spending up to five grand on speakers strikes me as not a good way forward.  Also, larger floorstanders wouldn’t be my choice, though I appreciate one photo isn’t capable of conveying the whole layout. 

Counterintuitively, I’d suggest that some relatively modest stand mounted speakers might work better.  Do you have a friendly dealer that might courier something to you for audition?  What else have you liked aside from your PMC?

You may have got the wrong impression of the room from the photo , it is quite large and open, other than the lower than ideal ceiling. So I'd be interested to know what you think is wrong with the room.

I've also got a pair of Neat Petite and a pair of wharfedale diamonds (that must be 20 years old!)

And nothing wrong with spending 5k on speakers if you have it, although if it makes no difference I won't be doing it. 

To clarify what I said earlier, I may have been a bit damning on my assessment, it sounds superb, but if I was to identify a weakness, it's in the mid range and the ability to fill the room with music (as opposed to filling it with volume if you see what I mean) before it just gets "too loud"

On 29/03/2020 at 12:25, Leem said:

That's bizarre because I definitely wrote that sentence!

What it originally said was, "no real budget but I think my wife would have something to say if I went over 5k"

:)

There was an ex demo pair of Ardens online recently for around the 5 mark. Anyway, I have the same prob . Mrs Rock can be quite 'vociferous' but a few hugs and flowers usually stretch the budget:)

• Haha 1

Super Dealer

Lee you really need to acoustically measure, that will tell you exactly what is going on, I don’t believe the sloped ceiling is the culprit.

Which model PMCS do you have?

Keith 

27 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Lee you really need to acoustically measure, that will tell you exactly what is going on, I don’t believe the sloped ceiling is the culprit.

Which model PMCS do you have?

Keith 

FB1, the originals 

Measuring all looks a bit complicated to me tbh

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rdale said:

Many PMC speakers produce a trough in the upper-bass. "Tight" "fast" bass, "cold" "thin" sound?

fr_listeningwindow.gif

PMC twenty.24

frequency_listeningwindow.gif

PMC GB1

Edited by tuga

1 hour ago, Leem said:

You may have got the wrong impression of the room from the photo , it is quite large and open, other than the lower than ideal ceiling. So I'd be interested to know what you think is wrong with the room.

What phone do you have. If a nice one, download a measurement app, play some pink noise and screenshoot the curve.

I would send you my smartphone mic but it's not a good time to go to the PO.  It's cheap, you can get one from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07NY34VF5/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Leem said:

I've also got a pair of Neat Petite and a pair of wharfedale diamonds (that must be 20 years old!)

And nothing wrong with spending 5k on speakers if you have it, although if it makes no difference I won't be doing it. 

To clarify what I said earlier, I may have been a bit damning on my assessment, it sounds superb, but if I was to identify a weakness, it's in the mid range and the ability to fill the room with music (as opposed to filling it with volume if you see what I mean) before it just gets "too loud"

Ok, that’s not such a problem as I had picked up!  Maybe a good three-way as I hinted at earlier.  As Tuga has highlighted, some PMCs can be a bit boom and tizz, but you’ve got them aiming straight ahead which moderates the HF and my experience is they work well in typical rooms.  The mid range is very sensitive for our ears of course, and a tiny but more presence can soon become too much.  Maybe room measurement and correction would be worth trialling if you’re confined at home?  Others here have written lots about what to do on that topic. 

So I downloaded the REW software and apart from it being supremely unuser friendly I am getting it to work but it says my mic isn't working and the SPL is too low (analog mic) except it is working and windows thinks it's fine.

Any clues? It's a mic that came with my Yamaha AV amp so designed for room set up

Super Dealer

Have you set the mic as input and dac as output, how loud are the test tones ?

Keith

Very loud! 

I've tried with my mobile and some pink and white noise, and got these. 

Anyone know what they say? 😉

Top is white noise, bottom is pink.

Screenshot_20200331-122305.jpg

Screenshot_20200331-122058.jpg