Leem

New speaker shortlist

1 hour ago, Headcoat said:

That is a curious trough. Worth noting they also have a smaller trough between approx. 2 and 5khz.

I've returned two pairs of headphones lately I didn't get on with; something around 4-5khz was really bothering me, decided to send back and after boxing them back up I looked up the fq graphs and the data backed up my listening - they both had peaks between 4 and 5khz.

There's certainly something to be said for fq graphs as a reference. Of course the room then plays a part (not with headphones), but I wonder if the intrinsic fq of the speaker may remain regardless of room anomalies.

The room will affect any speaker the bass below 300Hz and then the speaker's directivity takes over. Narrow rooms or speakers near side-walls will have more impact on the midrange and treble reaching the listener and the flatter the response off-axis the less afected the sound arriving at the listening spot will be.

Subjectively I find that in small untreated rooms a speaker that has a presence dip off-axis works better.

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Can't agree there.  The Hegel 390 and the ATC SCM40 combo I heard had gobs of rich, balanced sound.  Same goes for the SCM40 with the Sugden ANV 50.  Wonderful.

Very interesting.  Have never ever heard an ATC so personally have no idea. Everyone has their own idea of balance and of course we are all correct!

1 minute ago, DomT said:

Everyone has their own idea of balance and of course we are all correct!

Yes, everyone can certainly have their own ideas.   If their ideas don't match mine, they are simply and emphatically WRONG.      ........

.....................                       ..........................

:yeah:

Just looking over my shoulder for my wife.  She can smell it if I'm acting up.

• Haha 2

Super Wammer

Have a look at Quadral :

https://www.quadral.com/en/

The Chromium 8 Speakers are tremendous value for money

20 hours ago, DomT said:

I had a very interesting discussion with a dealer the other day about ATC va Proac etc. His view was that ATCs have very smooth mid and treble but many people partner them with the wrong amp so that they sound thin and harsh. He suggested for example that you would never put a Hegel with ATC so a valve pre on the ATC actives could be very nice. 

DomT, which amps do, in this dealer's opinion, work well with passive ATCs? 

Another vote for auditioning ATCs, I have the Mk I SCM40s and power them with 300W MOSFET monoblocks and now I also have a 225W Class D amp. These speakers need shed loads of current! Driven well they are clear, neutral and very listenable. Flaws upstream will shine through, its a warts and all presentation. The actives are preferable but more £££s.

My Class D amp was a recent Ebay purchase at £650 so it is possible to get a suitable amp for not too much money. If £5k is the budget, then SCM40s with a Class D amp may be something to try.

Thanks but assuming my sugden isn't terminal I won't be swapping that out

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, popol_vuh said:

DomT, which amps do, in this dealer's opinion, work well with passive ATCs? 

He didn’t give an opinion about it or if he did I can’t remember. He was just giving a few ideas on partnering. 

• Like 1