TheFlash

Buying and Selling: Lockdown Guidelines

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Mods, please delete if you think inappropriate or modify as necessary.

We've all seen the graphs and hear the daily stats so I'm sure we're all following the Government instructions for the safety of ourselves, of our friends, families and neghbours, and of others.

Many of us still are still looking to move our own kit on or purchase from fellow wammers, and understandably many of us are loathe to trust our hifi to the vagaries of the postal/courier network. Clearly, collection of hifi during lockdown would be irresponsible and neither buyers nor sellers should be offering or encouraging this at this time. I would hope that the Mods are keeping a close eye on this and asking wammers to modify their listings if required.

However, even if reluctant to ship, with creativity we can still do deals with confidence and merely defer the gratification of handover... There is nothing to stop us from taking a Paypal payment so we know we have a definite sale and the cash in our bank accounts, and nothing to stop us from then spending that cash elsewhere. Collection can be arranged for when this nightmare is over.

Written in good faith; if you disagree with the Government, keep it to yourself or rant down your sleeve but please don't post your arguments here.

Stay safe everyone. In happier times, we would have dreamed of being able to spend this much time at home listening to music!

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

It would seem more sensible to simply put sales on hold to me. Having payments for agreed sales that may not actually get completed for months could get messy...

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It would seem more sensible to simply put sales on hold to me. Having payments for agreed sales that may not actually get completed for months could get messy...

I was offering an alternative solution, Martin. Those who wish to defer can of course defer; the suggestion was aimed at those who would prefer not to.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

There was some discussion on this subject on Friday:

I hadn't spotted that, sorry, or I might simply have added to it. As per my reply above to Martin, I was merely reminding folk that there is no need to defer if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I understand the issue, but not sure I'd want to pay someone I've never met with no idea when I might get my item. 

I know we're all wammers, but we could still have a few shysters watching

Edited by Leem
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think I would just close the classifieds for the duration., so probably september. It's a long to have a few hundred quid or more sat in somebody else's bank account.

7 minutes ago, Leem said:

I understand the issue, but not sure I'd want to pay someone I've never met with no idea when I might get my item. 

I know we're all wammers, but we could still have a few shysters watching

Indeed - getting into that kind of transaction with unknown people seems like a very bad idea to me, especially as we have dealt with several very dodgy "sales" in the classifieds in recent weeks. If you aren't dealing with someone you know and trust, any "pay now, deliver later" arrangements could declare open season for scammers.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Could always put a 10% deposit down to reserve item and then complete on return to normality.

I have a load of items to list. But is it really the right thing to be adding extra burden to delivery services with second hand hifi moving around, drivers making extra deliveries etc.

The sensible part of me says shut down until over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Personally I believe its totally irresponsible to buy and sell `leisure items` over this time period.

So many bad scenarios are possible, scammers, covid via human contact, covid via contact with goods, the latest thoughts are that packaging materials are still live at a minimum of 72 hours after contact with the virus, paying ahead , what happens if the worst happens and the person you paid dies.

Can`t think of a single good reason why anyone living further away than down the road would complete a transaction at this time.

By all means show what you have , but window dressing and window shopping only.

I say this as a person who supplements their retirement with a little buying and selling, mainly from auctions and both myself and most of the auctions have stopped trading now.

Edited by stevebrown
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

Crikey. I wasn't suggesting people suspend their judgement! There are known wammers here with stuff to shift; it would be rather draconian to stop consenting adults from entering into a mutually agreed transaction...

• Like 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Mods, please will you delete the thread I started? I was trying to be positive and pragmatic in these testing times but have clearly misjudged the mood.

Edited by TheFlash

As courier companies are collecting and delivering in any case then courier delivery is the only option at present. Suggesting personal collection or delivery is a direct contravention of Government guidance, which is now an instruction backed by law.

If courier delivery is not acceptable for whatever reason then the sale should just not take place.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If you can't wait for a piece of kit, bearing in mind the possible repercussions, is sad

• Like 1