TheFlash

Buying and Selling: Lockdown Guidelines

3 minutes ago, DougK said:

How old are you and what is your current state of health Rob?

I'm 61 with a history in my earlier years of bronchial pneumonia and I mean between 6-7 years old and then another bad do around 1979. Otherwise just the normal ailments. 

1 minute ago, robbyrtp said:

I'm 61 with a history in my earlier years of bronchial pneumonia and I mean between 6-7 years old and then another bad do around 1979. Otherwise just the normal ailments. 

Then the decision is down to you my friend. Are you in a sector where you come into contact with a large amount of the general public or workmates?

Just now, DougK said:

Then the decision is down to you my friend. Are you in a sector where you come into contact with a large amount of the general public or workmates?

Yes Warehouse although I work outside on the yard driving a counterbalance truck. 

4 minutes ago, robbyrtp said:

Yes Warehouse although I work outside on the yard driving a counterbalance truck. 

To be fair I don't think the company I work for could do much more to protect everyone to be honest. 

Travis Perkins Omega Warrington

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Have you checked if this is legal? I rather suspect that it isn't...

Edit: and actually I think really needs to be challenged as otherwise staff who should be self-isolating may end up not doing so, putting colleagues and wider society at increased risk.

Apparently they can, taken from a HR/Law firm document:

4. Can employees be forced to take annual leave?

Yes, unless their contracts or a collective agreement mean that these arrangements have been disapplied. Note however that there are specific notice requirements which must be followed by the employer, namely that the notice must be at least twice the length of the annual leave period that the employee is being forced to take. For example, if the employer requires the worker to take four weeks' leave, it must give at least eight weeks' notice to the worker, which in the current circumstances may not be possible.

Regarding your edit I challenged my immediate management on this three weeks ago in writing. Never got a written response only verbal communication of company policy during the crisis as I have previously stated. In the above document it clearly states that employees must be given notice of enforcement... nothing in writing from my employer as yet so a good point to challenge if necessary. Thank you Martin :^

Edited by DougK
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.ft.com/content/058acec9-5d96-4adc-b05e-c5bdcd83c1cf

weird, cannot share the link O.o

quote:

"... industry has begun to suspect that the UK government might soon stop shipments of non-essential goods, after criticism that continued operations were putting staff and consumers at risk. Postal workers this week pleaded for a limit in deliveries of non-essential goods, saying they are risking their health to deliver sometimes frivolous items."

Edited by dari

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, dari said:

https://www.ft.com/content/058acec9-5d96-4adc-b05e-c5bdcd83c1cf

weird, cannot share the link O.o

quote:

"... industry has begun to suspect that the UK government might soon stop shipments of non-essential goods, after criticism that continued operations were putting staff and consumers at risk. Postal workers this week pleaded for a limit in deliveries of non-essential goods, saying they are risking their health to deliver sometimes frivolous items."

Well, that’s hifi safe. No government minister would file under frivolous ... 

I am of course kidding before someone gets upset. Why don’t we just leave the mods to decide now based on official government guidelines as of today. 

Cheers 

Edited by Turn it up!

Super Wammer

Thanks to the mods for the headline shout out which is brilliant. Makes it crystal clear you can buy and sell but not collect. 

:notworthy:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
On 31/03/2020 at 10:42, DougK said:

Apparently they can, taken from a HR/Law firm document:

4. Can employees be forced to take annual leave?

Yes, unless their contracts or a collective agreement mean that these arrangements have been disapplied. Note however that there are specific notice requirements which must be followed by the employer, namely that the notice must be at least twice the length of the annual leave period that the employee is being forced to take. For example, if the employer requires the worker to take four weeks' leave, it must give at least eight weeks' notice to the worker, which in the current circumstances may not be possible.

Regarding your edit I challenged my immediate management on this three weeks ago in writing. Never got a written response only verbal communication of company policy during the crisis as I have previously stated. In the above document it clearly states that employees must be given notice of enforcement... nothing in writing from my employer as yet so a good point to challenge if necessary. Thank you Martin :^

Doug, that’s generic guidance, which is largely overtaken by events with COVID. You can’t be made to take holiday when you’re sick  

The gov.uk site covers most of it, and is why isolation notes were created, as nobody can go to a GP with symptoms to get a fit note as they ordinarily would. You declare you’re sick, and you get sick pay - as simple as that. 
Full details here:- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-guidance-for-employees

Excerpt:-

We are legislating for SSP to be paid from day 1, rather than day 4, of your absence from work if you are absent from work due to sickness or need to stay at home due to COVID-19. Once the legislation has been passed, this will apply retrospectively from 13 March. You should talk to your employer if you are eligible for SSP and need to claim.

Proof of sickness

If you have COVID-19 or are advised to stay at home, you can get an ‘isolation note’ by visiting NHS 111 online, rather than visiting a doctor. For COVID-19 cases this replaces the usual need to provide a ‘fit note’ (sometimes called a ‘sick note’) after 7 days of sickness absence.

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 3

So sorry to hear that Anil. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AnilS said:

This finally got real in our family.

Covid 19 took my father in law this morning. He didn't stand a chance. It was brutal.

Stay safe people.

Oh no, really sorry to here this, my deepest condolences. This is really scary especially when a familiar crowd here on Wam report things like this. It must be such a difficult time for you at the moment.

• Sad 1

Super Wammer

Gosh, so sorry, Anil.

Thanks for sharing with fellow wammers; it reinforces the message to say the least.

Best wishes to you and your family (from all of us I'm sure).

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Sincere condolences, Anil.  Such sad news.  Take care. 

• Sad 1