Gridlock

Battery powered amplifier.

Hi. A chance has come up to live self sufficiently and I'm on the look out for a new energy efficient setup. I've narrowed it down to an intel NUC that can run on 12v for a computer / streamer, a Chord hugo 2 to replace an auralic altair G1, as the hugo has it's own batteries and can be recharged from a 5v usb phone charger battery cell if needed during use, but the amp I'm struggling with. At the moment I have a Linn C2200 and would want to sell that to fund the new amp so £8-900 and it would preferably be able to run off the same 12V battery as the NUC to keep it all simple. I've spotted the temple audio bantam gold but are there any other amps anyone knows of that I may be missing. I'd like to avoid the cheap ebay tripath amps from China if possible as I've tried one (SMSL SA-98E) and wasn't impressed in the long run. My speakers are proac response d25s which seem to be a fairly easy load.

Red wine audio did a range of battery powered amplifiers a few years audio. 

Super Wammer

There may well be something in the car audio world that will what you need, give Shakey_Studioincar a PM he is the wammer for all things automotive audio. 

I've heard some of the Temple audio stuff a few times, it really is very good for what it is, especially when running from a car battery.

• Like 1

I have a temple Audio amp which I run from a pack of ten AA batteries.. I also bought a HRT streamer dac which runs from tablets USB..because of the current climate i thought i would try and go as off grid as I can re using mains power..i had my tablet, dac.amp all running off batteries..my bantam stealth amp chuck out 25 watts and with the extra gain the streamer dac provides it runs my AE1mk3s ok ish... Now heres the catch! All these little amps be it bantam or t amp sound brilliant..but also sound dead!  There is no emotional involvement with the music..soon as  I put my quad amp back in..the emotional factor returned...i even tried my valve dac on my battery kit to see if it made a difference.. Made things bit smoother but still no emotion? Its a strange Concept this emotional involvement in music but when it isn't there its quite noticeable in my opinion..

Thanks for the replies! Emotional involvement is important and I'm hoping the speakers which I love will help with that. I'm surprised that there aren't more options really but I guess most good amps take a lot of electricity due to their nature but dac / streamer can be done more efficiently. I'll look into red wine audio. The other option is to try and get one custom made, but then I cant hear it first. All the batteries will be recharged by solar panels or a wind turbine so efficiency is vital. Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1

Sometimes use a battery powered T amp and is far better than the mains powered PSUs one could use with the amplifier.:geek: