sprintgtvgus

Hifi in Room Above a New Build Garage? SQ? In the Eves?

Posted (edited)

We are planning an extension to our 1930's house.

The existing sitting and dining room are about 4x5M with suspended wooden floors, fireplaces.

Cosy rooms but not much room for larger speakers etc. 

Phase two of the extension is a separate 3 or 4 bay timber framed garage with a single room above.

Plan is to have a fairly serious setup up there maybe with some gym equipment in the corner.

I'm a bit worried that having a listening room in the eaves of the roof might sound a bit crap? 

Also the suspended floor would need to be well braced and with plenty of sound deadening etc....?

Alternatively maybe I should actually have a room on the ground floor of the garage and have less garage space, or just take over a small room in the main house.

Anyone built a man cave above the garage? Esp Hi-Fi concessions???

Any tips! Want to get this right!

I'm imagining some speakers with a 12" or 15" bass driver, something proper, such as a Tannoy Monitor Series or JBL L100 Classic.

Edited by sprintgtvgus

Super Wammer

Given as I understand with a room above a garage you would need fire proofing to be fitted to any wood beam based floor it might be better to opt for a block/beam concrete floor for the upstairs room which would probably satisfy the fire regs but give you a better floor sound wise.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

if the eaves cause sound problems the Royal Albert Hall has the answer - suspended mushrooms :) 

Super Wammer

Use 2 of the bays with the space above as one open room with high sloping cathedral ceiling. Have it acoustically modelled from the outset. Speakers at the external wall end  for which you can beef up the structure.  2 bay garage with a non-habitable room above ?CIMG0948.jpg?t=1290277849

This was my garage conversion but gives the idea of sloping roof and this was with only 4.5m height and a section of flat ceiling to hide the steel and braces actually holding the roof up

Super Wammer

Plenty of studios that have sloping ceilings although not necessarily in the same form as yours so the shape itself need not be a problem. Also plenty examples of garage conversions to create studios or music rooms that sound good.

I would start with your speakers and work back from there. The JBLs are not that big and could work in a single garage space. There is a website that reviews vintage speakers including the JBLs and the room looks similar to a single garage conversion - worth a quick google. Just found it https://audionostalgia.co.uk/jbl-l100-century-review/

Smaller rooms are often easier to get sounding right especially if a rectangle. If you want to go really large then you will need the upstairs space. Large spaces can work well but you will need advice on acustics and it could cost a lot more. 

Posted (edited)

Hi.

The question is how do you want it to sound. Is it a room to listen to music and enjoy it for what it is or look like a recording studio with panels on the walls and ceiling. 

I'd say the floor is the most obvious part to get right just even without a hifi in there.Then when its built get the room measured and start from there.

Regarding speakers have a look at some of the Heco range. Efficient and big cones. Below is my Heco Direkt speakers in a single converted garage 

49494041342_255b645308_z.jpgHeco Direkt - Sudegn by FITBITSFELLA, on Flickr

Edited by Lee M
  • Like 2

I think you may be unreasonably dismissing the rooms in your main house. I have a subwoofer with a 15" driver in a room about 3.5 m x 4.6 m but crucially I use a combination of bass traps and DSP to control room mode issues. As a result I have a smooth bass response down to about 10 Hz.

I've never heard a system in a room built into the eves to comment from experience I'm afraid. How big do you envisage this space being? From a non-acoustic perspective I wonder if you'd have trouble with the room being too cold in winter and too hot in summer, and how difficult it might be to get very large speakers up stairs.

11 hours ago, Lee M said:

Hi.

The question is how do you want it to sound. Is it a room to listen to music and enjoy it for what it is or look like a recording studio with panels on the walls and ceiling. 

I'd say the floor is the most obvious part to get right just even without a hifi in there.Then when its built get the room measured and start from there.

Regarding speakers have a look at some of the Heco range. Efficient and big cones. Below is my Heco Direkt speakers in a single converted garage 

Your system looks alwhite Lee.:minikev:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lee M said:

Hi.

Wow..this room looks lovely. Wish I had one to  myself :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, newlash09 said:

Wow..this room looks lovely. Wish I had one to  myself :)

The wife has her space in the house for her crafty den. The garage is for music and av. Well when i can be arsed to buy a tv. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does look good Lee.:^

• Like 1

i have dormer windows and a roof slope across half the living room and it does mess with the sound, 1 speaker (standmounts) is under the slope and needed a balance adjustment and the stereo image is not as wide/focussed on that side.  i'm not about to start using room treatment or EQ though, i’ll just look forward to one day having a different shaped room!

but if your room shape is equal then you should be able to make it work especially if it’s a dedicated music space.