Sign in to follow this  
dicy

Help with digitising vinyl

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi All

I have quite a few LP’s which are not available on any other format and I’d like to record them and upload to the NAS.

I used to have a lovely little Roland Cakewalk UA-1G which made this task a breeze, but I have turned the house upside down and cannot find it, I reckon I must have lent it to somebody?

Anyway, I’ve placed an ad for a rega fono mini or something similar, but nothing so far and nothing about on eBay for the budget. I really can’t afford to spend much more money, who knows what’ll happen in this strange new world.

So, my question is this - is it possible to use the tape outs on my amp (I have a marantz pm-4 and a A&R A60, so both have phono stages and tape outs) and feed into one of the cheaper behringer line only audio interfaces and then to the laptop via usb?

If so, how good would the quality be (I think I still have vinyl studio somewhere) and I assume that my dynavector 10x5 would be fine?

Cheers

Rich

Edited by dicy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whichever way you get the signal to your laptop the software to use for recording, editing etc is Audacity.

Open source costs £0.00 and is amazingly versatile and updated regularly.

I've used it for years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the easiest way is to use the microphone input on the lappy, which is what I used before USB was invented. I still have some of those conversions, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Just make sure you set the record level as high as possible without compressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2020 at 23:53, dicy said:

Hi All

I have quite a few LP’s which are not available on any other format and I’d like to record them and upload to the NAS.

I used to have a lovely little Roland Cakewalk UA-1G which made this task a breeze, but I have turned the house upside down and cannot find it, I reckon I must have lent it to somebody?

Anyway, I’ve placed an ad for a rega fono mini or something similar, but nothing so far and nothing about on eBay for the budget. I really can’t afford to spend much more money, who knows what’ll happen in this strange new world.

So, my question is this - is it possible to use the tape outs on my amp (I have a marantz pm-4 and a A&R A60, so both have phono stages and tape outs) and feed into one of the cheaper behringer line only audio interfaces and then to the laptop via usb?

If so, how good would the quality be (I think I still have vinyl studio somewhere) and I assume that my dynavector 10x5 would be fine?

Cheers

Rich

 

If your budget allows Rich, this would do the job:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/audio-converter/art-usbphonoplus-ps-analogue-and-digital-audio-interface

As well as its built-in phono stage, it can take line-level sources and send them via USB to computer.

This means that using tape out from your amps is also an option (as well as recording from any other line source).

I suggest you then compare the Art, Marantz and A&R phono stages and choose the best for your permanent digits.

The Art is also a headphone amp as well and has other in/outs, making it quite a versatile interface.

Even comes with Audacity software on a disc (though that's easy enough to download)

Here's the manual. The block diagram on page 7 (which needs rotation) shows what it can do:

https://artproaudio.com/framework/uploads/2018/06/om_usbphonoplusps.pdf

Edited by Gray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2020 at 23:53, dicy said:

Anyway, I’ve placed an ad for a rega fono mini or something similar, but nothing so far and nothing about on eBay for the budget. I really can’t afford to spend much more money, who knows what’ll happen in this strange new world.

I used (and still have) one of these ... they are only £70 new and can be used to record at 24-bit / 96kHz quality. Afterwards it can be repurposed as a headphone amp or DAC.

https://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-digital-music-premium-hd

20200426_234655.jpg.198ef706d8892007a935c7a547345fe3.jpg

Edited by t1no
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, t1no said:

I used (and still have) one of these ... they are only £70 new and can be used to record at 24-bit / 96kHz quality. Afterwards it can be repurposed as a headphone amp or DAC.

https://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-digital-music-premium-hd

I just had a look at the ASR review of this, and Amir couldn't get it to work properly.  How is yours? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

I just had a look at the ASR review of this, and Amir couldn't get it to work properly.  How is yours? 

It worked for me at the time, a few years ago now. I ripped about 120 albums and singles before I got rid of my turntable. It was mainly an archiving exercise and it seemed more than ok for this purpose. The headphone output was ok for my AKG headphones. The supplied software to edit, clean and normalise the recorded WAV files was actually pretty good too and much easier to use than Audacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Roxio Easy VHS to DVD converter it works with Audio too

https://www.roxio.com/en/products/easy-vhs-to-dvd/standard/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.