Interconnect length.

Aristillus

I am wanting  to move my equipment rack and place by set valve monoblocks further away from the pre amp. Unfortunately I don't have the option of balanced XLR outputs so I was wondering what the maximum length of interconnect it would be safe to use between them? Any advice would be appreciated.

Main issue would be the increased potential for interference pick up esp if routed near to or parallel with mains cable runs.  Choice if cable could help here maybe even using mic cabling and running the shield to earth at one end for a belt/braces approach 

......so if it's screened but has no connection to earth explain how any induced interference present in the screen is dissipated ? 

2 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

......so if it's screened but has no connection to earth explain how any induced interference present in the screen is dissipated ? 

How do systems in airplanes and automobiles function?

It's been a common misunderstanding for over a century that bad electricity can be sent to Planet Earth.

We have the usual hifi issue here of the difference between earth and ground, I assume.

With any (or most) balanced equipment, it's easy. Signal and signal return (for the want of a better description, and yes, I know it's AC) carry the music. The screen is connected to case earth and all is cosy and quiet. usually. With single-ended RCA connections, the screen is also usually the signal return and is often not (directly) connected to the equipment case, and therefore mains earth. However, sometimes it is, and sometimes it's referenced to it.

For long single-ended interconnects, in a perfect world you would use two-core screened cable, have the cores as signal and signal return, and connect the screen to case earth, but not directly to signal ground. However, we don't live in a perfect world.

Either way, and whichever way it's connected, 5 metres or so of screened cable is going to be fine.

• Like 3

I did mean grounding the shield .....apologies for not being pedantic 

1 hour ago, MF 1000 said:

I did mean grounding the shield .....apologies for not being pedantic 

Not you Keith.

Sorry. Having a crap day here.

Thanks for that gentlemen. Yes i am thinking of around 5m. If i can find soomeone to knock me a pair up would a pair of Klotz microphone cables be ok?

Hi Steve

im just about to build a set of cables both XLR and phono for my active system using Mogami quad 2534.  If you can wait I can give feedback on how it performs etc and at approx £3 per metre is good value ...a set of two 5m pairs wouldn't be silly money depending on what plugs you preferred etc.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

Hi Steve

im just about to build a set of cables both XLR and phono for my active system using Mogami quad 2534.  If you can wait I can give feedback on how it performs etc and at approx £3 per metre is good value ...a set of two 5m pairs wouldn't be silly money depending on what plugs you preferred etc.

I will keep me eyes and ears peeled.

Single-ended interconnects are also used in the scientific, instrumentation & medical fields, often at about the same frequencies and signal strengths as audio signals. In all these cases, a coax cable is used.

While there is often continuity between the shield system, the Protective Earth/Safety Ground system ant the Planet Earth ground system, each performs it's own tasks.

• Like 1