Fullauto

Majik power amps vs C power amps?

Hi there 

I have a majik dsm/2 (with hdmi, without Exakt). It drives a pair of Majik 140. The main source is a LP12,  I’m looking for a 6 Chanel power amp as next step on the ladder towards a full active system. 
Are there any significant difference between the Majik 6100 and the older C6100? Any do’s and don’t’s?

thanks

jesper

Super Wammer

There are a few differences, unfortunately not directly related to the name change.

First is the power supply - whichever you go for, make sure it has the Dynamik power supply - it doesn't matter if it was original fitment or fitted as an upgrade, there's no difference, but it is essential to get the best from these amps.  I think early Majiks didn't have Dynamik, or late Chakras did, can't quite recall, but it doesn't really matter - just make sure it has this feature.

The second is the fitment of internal links which gives you the option of not needing so many external interconnects when running active.  There are some Chakra amps that have them, earlier ones do not, all Majik amps should have them.  Its not a biggy, but its a nice feature - I would still buy an amp without them if it had Dynamik, was the right colour and was in excellent condition - I just don't think its a major purchasing factor.

The main circuitry is identical up until very recently when I expect they've changed the board over to suit a new manufacturing process, but that won't affect you if you're comparing Chakra with Majik as they'll be too new to be on your radar.

Just as an aside on the links - the boards in one half of a 5100 are the same as those in the same half of a 6100.  This means that the boards in each side of the amps gets consumed from stock at a different rate.  Because of this I once had a Chakra amp that had links on one board but not on the other - contacted the Linn helpline and was advised of the above and they said a few did go out like that. Go figure!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The internal connections may have a better WAF (woman's acceptance factor), but at least according to some folks on the old forum, external silvers give you the best SQ. Blacks have been reported lesser than internals, though. I bought pre-loved silvers with the old plug at half price to make my C6100/D sing. And yes, the Dynamic PSU makes quite a difference.

Edited by TooManyCatweazles