Gaz38

Essential jobs and remuneration

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Inspired by a post by Ron Hilditch in another thread this whole coronavirus has hopefully made it clear what roles are really essential and how many "superfluous" jobs there are. 

Worse still is that many essential roles are quite badly paid especially when compared to less essential ones. 

Hopefully a few companies will realise that their businesses are operating perfectly well without all the middle management, sack them and give a pay rise to those actually doing the work 

Edited by Gaz38
Credit to Ron for inspiring the thread
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Gaz38 said:

Inspired by a post by Ron Hilditch in another thread this whole coronavirus has hopefully made it clear what roles are really essential and how many "superfluous" jobs there are. 

Worse still is that many essential roles are quite badly paid especially when compared to less essential ones. 

Hopefully a few companies will realise that their businesses are operating perfectly well without all the middle management, sack them and give a pay rise to those actually doing the work 

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I'll copy and paste my views here...👍 👍 👍 

Thankyou for raising these important and thought provoking points, Ron. Every time I switch on my System at home, I'm thankful to those who work hard to provide the Energy. I make a cup of tea and think about the Utilitiy workers keeping the water running and the sewage system working. 

Your point about Renumeration makes a massive amount of sense. I really hope this is considered when things return to somewhere near normal. 

As an aside, I hope that the issue of snobbery and status surrounding different types of work are addressed too. I've never really understood it. 

I've worked in retail, I work as a Bus Driver in Greater London. When I first applied for the job, a good friend congratulated me; I'm a bus enthusiast... He warned me that not everyone will be as positive about my job as I was- and continue to be- and; that some will see me as a loser; someone who didn't try hard enough at school. 

This checked out, unfortunately. On some occasions, when I was a Driving Instructor, conversation at parties and the pub were really positive and engaging. It appeared to be a "Socially Acceptable" Career.

When I chose to tell people that I was a Bus Driver however, that often killed the conversation; I got a the distinct impression it wasn't a "Socially Acceptable" line of work! 

Some members of the public see this as a good reason to behave unacceptably. I've called the police at work four times; not bad considering my 16 years service.

I've still recieved a lot of abuse over the years though. On one occasion, as someone was being "Manhandled" from the bus by two Police Officers, they shouted "Bus Drivers don't have any rights"... 

When shopping, I've always said Thankyou to people at the checkouts, and anyone who I approach to find something in store. On some occasions, I've defused some situations and offered to be a witness when some of these people have recieved Verbal Abuse from shoppers. 

Let's hope that the apparently Hierarchy based belief systems of many change to more respectable and inclusive belief systems. 

Edited by Monitor Gold Ten
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting lack of comments

Either everybody agrees or there's a lot of middle managers keeping quiet 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course the superfluous middle management types will point out that anybody can stack shelves 

What they'll forget is nobody is doing their job and it hasn't mattered 

😂🤣😂🤣😂

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gaz38 said:

Inspired by a post by Ron Hilditch in another thread this whole coronavirus has hopefully made it clear what roles are really essential and how many "superfluous" jobs there are. 

Worse still is that many essential roles are quite badly paid especially when compared to less essential ones. 

Hopefully a few companies will realise that their businesses are operating perfectly well without all the middle management, sack them and give a pay rise to those actually doing the work 

I agree that there are a lot of underpaid and undervalued people in society.

Curious to know exactly who you see as 'superfluous' and whether you actually understand what any of them do?

Edit: My pioint is that sweeping generalisations are easy to make.

And yes, I'm a manager :cool:

Edited by horace
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, maybe it's just that the premise of the thread is too simplistic to be worth engaging with.

Middle managers want to do a good job. They want to be the ones that facilitate the development and resources that will allow their front line colleagues to get satisfaction from doing a good job. Too often, though, they are working with their hands tied behind their backs and are simply a 'scapegoat in the middle' between the shop floor and the boardroom.

There are good and bad directors. There are good and bad middle managers. There are good and bad front-line workers. All are important. A company with good front-line staff can do OK in the short term without middle managers, but they will not be in a position to forward plan or innovate and will, inevitably, begin to plateau or struggle. I've never seen a company with bad middle managers do well in the long term. In fact, it is arguable that middle managers are highly important because they manage both up and down. It's no coincidence that a good middle manager is often able to secure additional resources and strategic improvements (by creating cogent business cases and gaining the loyalty and trust of their colleagues), while bad middle managers do little and simply blame those above (and below).

Back to where I started. The OP's premise is too simplistic.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don’t understand, is why train drivers are paid so much more than bus drivers?

After all, they don’t even have to steer! :P:D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Devil said:

What I don’t understand, is why train drivers are paid so much more than bus drivers?

After all, they don’t even have to steer! :P:D

Exactly.

Do we even need train drivers? just need someone to press Go (and the press Stop at the end). You could ask one of the passengers to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll give a couple of examples of what I would consider superfluous jobs that I came across when my son was looking for a job in the motor trade, I came across the vacancies in our local police force

Marketing and campaigns manager £37k + benefits FFS since when did the police need marketing? We all know what they do and we don't get a choice which on we use. 

Digital media consultant x2 £32k, from the job description this is a full time job looking after their Facebook and twitter accounts. 

That's nearly £100k of taxpayers money that could and should be spent on more officers on the streets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, horace said:

Exactly.

Do we even need train drivers? just need someone to press Go (and the press Stop at the end). You could ask one of the passengers to do that.

Why do we need IT people? 

All they do is tell you to switch it off and back on again 😂

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gaz38 said:

I'll give a couple of examples of what I would consider superfluous jobs that I came across when my son was looking for a job in the motor trade, I came across the vacancies in our local police force

Marketing and campaigns manager £37k + benefits FFS since when did the police need marketing? We all know what they do and we don't get a choice which on we use. 

Digital media consultant x2 £32k, from the job description this is a full time job looking after their Facebook and twitter accounts. 

That's nearly £100k of taxpayers money that could and should be spent on more officers on the streets

Police Crime Commissioner can be 100K, what a waste of money. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, AntA said:

Police Crime Commissioner can be 100K, what a waste of money. 

Exactly - they could get three digital media consultants for less than that.

Edited by horace
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gaz38 said:

I'll give a couple of examples of what I would consider superfluous jobs that I came across when my son was looking for a job in the motor trade, I came across the vacancies in our local police force

Marketing and campaigns manager £37k + benefits FFS since when did the police need marketing? We all know what they do and we don't get a choice which on we use. 

Digital media consultant x2 £32k, from the job description this is a full time job looking after their Facebook and twitter accounts. 

That's nearly £100k of taxpayers money that could and should be spent on more officers on the streets

How much is a new Police Constable on?  Less that £32k I would guess?  Think your post nails it!  It isn't about what is done any more, but how you manage the message.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ron Hilditch said:

How much is a new Police Constable on?  Less that £32k I would guess?  Think your post nails it!  It isn't about what is done any more, but how you manage the message.  

18k on the new police graduate degree apprenticeship scheme 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AntA said:

Police Crime Commissioner can be 100K, what a waste of money. 

A quick Google says £90k but weirdly avon and somersets PCC pays her top staff guy £110k, that 20k more than she's on herself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.