Gaz38

Essential jobs and remuneration

One important feature of life as a manager is that everybody is absolutely convinced they could do your job better than you can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

The same could not be said for the individual without the licence... 

But if you wished to assist him, you could have detailed the reasons. After all it would have been you assessing those trainee drivers and determining why they failed. During my car, motorcycle and HGV tests it would never have been my examiners manager telling why and how I had failed. Even with the HGV which was not taken privately.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cable Monkey said:

But if you wished to assist him, you could have detailed the reasons. After all it would have been you assessing those trainee drivers and determining why they failed. During my car, motorcycle and HGV tests it would never have been my examiners manager telling why and how I had failed. Even with the HGV which was not taken privately.

We did wish to, and in an ideal world, we would have done. At the time however, we were snowed under as the company had to recruit a significant number of staff to cover new routes won on a new Tender. 

At that time, my colleagues and I were managing up to eight trainees all at different stages of their training. 

This wasn't a Commercial Training School. It was an "In House" Training School Department of a Bus Operator. 👍👍👍😎😎😎

• Upvote 1

My Son in Law went through a similar process as a trainee train driver. His process was to be trained by fellow drivers but actually assessed by a manager, so in that case the managers are ex drivers and qualified assessors. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cable Monkey said:

My Son in Law went through a similar process as a trainee train driver. His process was to be trained by fellow drivers but actually assessed by a manager, so in that case the managers are ex drivers and qualified assessors. 

We tried to push for that. It is best practice. It was heartbreaking not being able to get the best results for people who were there so they could provide for their families.😢 

14 minutes ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

Looks like that might be specifically about where you're based?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Looks like that might be specifically about where you're based?

Right company, different Depot. Incidentally, a Controller approached me this morning to tell me I should have departed 5 minutes prior; I was 5 minutes late in other words; they quickly recoiled when I said I was making sure my cab is clean. 

My wet wipes were black with grime after clearing the steering wheel and controls- despite my emails and assurances in the replies that an "Advanced Cleaning Regime" was in place. 

Now this is a regular bus of mine and it is usually spotless because I clean it. I'd been off for eight days though... 

People are getting pissed off... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52169002

Edited by Monitor Gold Ten
Link added...

14 minutes ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

Right company, different Depot.

That's good I guess? How are things at your depot in terms of too many staff forced to be in close proximity?

36 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That's good I guess? How are things at your depot in terms of too many staff forced to be in close proximity?

It's pretty much the same story, actually. I have been busy behind the scenes writing emails with useful suggestions and solutions. 

Incidentally, I wrote an email about overcrowding in a Meal Relief Facility back in November last year. I was assured that a bigger facility had been found and would be ready for use in the near future. 

I chased this email up last week. Still no response. 

We're the lucky ones. I Campaigned hard for that facility. Colleagues at other Garages are having to make do with a Service Bus parked on a stand in Tooting since all the Fast Food Outlets they're expected to use are closed... 

2 hours ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

Absolutely disgraceful but sadly not surprising, unfortunately ordinary workers are about as highly valued as Biros, get them as cheap as possible, don't look after them and throw them away when they stop working. Profit and efficiency are all that matters

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

It's pretty much the same story, actually. I have been busy behind the scenes writing emails with useful suggestions and solutions. 

Incidentally, I wrote an email about overcrowding in a Meal Relief Facility back in November last year. I was assured that a bigger facility had been found and would be ready for use in the near future. 

I chased this email up last week. Still no response. 

We're the lucky ones. I Campaigned hard for that facility. Colleagues at other Garages are having to make do with a Service Bus parked on a stand in Tooting since all the Fast Food Outlets they're expected to use are closed... 

Are you able to take your own lunch with you rather than relying on any shared facilities? I think that's what I'd want to do.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Are you able to take your own lunch with you rather than relying on any shared facilities? I think that's what I'd want to do.

I do normally take packed lunch, however aside from sitting in a ferry van, apart from that room, there's no viable alternative; especially if the weather is poor! I'll just keep on asking questions and providing workable solutions! 👍 

4 hours ago, Gaz38 said:

Absolutely disgraceful but sadly not surprising, unfortunately ordinary workers are about as highly valued as Biros, get them as cheap as possible, don't look after them and throw them away when they stop working. Profit and efficiency are all that matters

Until they start researching the relevant rules and regulations! Then they become a bit scary. I was surprised to see another Whistle blower, actually! Our industry is facing a massive shortage. 

I remember from my time as an Instructor, lots of people thought it would be so easy, anyone could do it. 

If they got through the training and passed their tests, the antisocial and long hours would get them eventually... 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

29 minutes ago, Monitor Gold Ten said:

I do normally take packed lunch, however aside from sitting in a ferry van, apart from that room, there's no viable alternative; especially if the weather is poor! I'll just keep on asking questions and providing workable solutions! 👍 

The ferry van sounds like an issue but as for eating lunch in a crowded room I would personally rather eat lunch outside on my own even if it was raining right now. 

I hope your suggestions get listened to and acted on.

• Upvote 1