The barbers are closed for maybe a very long time .  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

What you got in mind then ?

Edited by Bazzer

Ha! I live on my own and so had no option but to try to do my own. My sister has been telling me for years to do this to save money but I've always thought it wiser to get someone else to do it. I somewhat proved myself right! I think I've ended up with it looking reasonably neat but to achieve this it ended up considerably shorter than I was originally intending!

Long term what I just can't see how I'm ever going to do well is trim the bottom edge on the back of my head.

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

how I'm ever going to do well is trim the bottom edge on the back of my head

Looks like we could see the mullet making a comeback O.o

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've bought a set of clippers but I have yet to work up the courage to give it a go. A mate of ours managed to do his own, but not without the need for Elastoplasts on both ears :nerves:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

All of the first four, Bazzer!  Not sure which comes first, but I’m feeling a bit like Coco the Clown already!

My wife was a hairdresser; I’ve got beard trimmers which are ok if desperate for a haircut; I did have long hair in the 70s; there’s not much left now!

Super Wammer

It's probably going to be the Mick Miller look for me....

Mick-Miller.jpg

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

I've bought a set of clippers but I have yet to work up the courage to give it a go. A mate of ours managed to do his own, but not without the need for Elastoplasts on both ears :nerves:

Well I did manage not to cut myself :). Provided you keep some sort of plastic 'end' on the clippers to set the length it shouldn't really be possible.

Not a problem I'll have to worry about but I wonder if any of you with female partners will be brave enough to cut their hair? 

:sofa:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Not a problem I'll have to worry about but I wonder if any of you with female partners will be brave enough to cut their hair? 

It's ok - I don't have a death wish :rofl:

Super Wammer

I will talk you through it, tenner a go :rofl:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I will talk you through it, tenner a go :rofl:

Do a YouTube vid:^ you could play some interesting choons in the background so we could hear what those actives sound like :D

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

I was like that but it's really not difficult, obviously properly neat trimming around the ears is definitely a skill but a basic cut really isn't hard. 

I just wizz over the top with a number 6 doing several passes in different directions to make sure I haven't missed a bit, then a four on the back and sides again overlapping and several passes for evenness and finally a number 3 around my ears and back of neck. It looks quite passable I think. Nobody has laughed at me anyway, at least not to my face. 😂

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer

Well for those that know me this is not going to be any sort of issue for the top of my head . Straight shave from cheeks to the top of my head and round every morning . Forget clippers they do not cut smooth or close enough even without any plastic guards . Philips three head circular electric is both very close but comfortable .

Now further down for the beard is a whole different matter . After a certain length my hair goes curly and this makes trying to get an even neat look not that easy . I also only have some very savage and sharp trimmers not the much neater ones my Barber Alan Ball uses . Tried an initial trim and cut off well more than I wanted to but looks a bit more shaped . Will justy have to limp along like this until I get to see Al again .

• Upvote 1