plasticpenguin

What has the biggest impact on sound:...

6 minutes ago, gasolin said:

The sound quality of the recordings

Agree with that. I have several albums which demonstrate that very clearly - in both directions.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Your ears make the most difference I can be certain of this after having started to suffer from tinitus . Things that I heard before are now masked by the back ground noise .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, bencat said:

Your ears make the most difference I can be certain of this after having started to suffer from tinitus . Things that I heard before are now masked by the back ground noise .

Weird i was going to same thing..i also have tinnitus.. Thankyou slayer concert cardiff! Weird how tinnitus is different for everyone.. I hear mine at the same volume as everything around me.. So its always there.. But sound passes through it?  Very annoying it is..and Sadly no cure in sight..

3 hours ago, greybeard said:

The cheque will be in the post :) 

That was the headline when Robert Maxwell bought Mirror Group newspapers - The Czech's in the post... :minikev:

• Haha 2

Your head space and your listening space.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

The major night and day differences heard by some are not heard by others. 

It just makes sense to have decent quality cables be it interconnects or speaker leads. 

I use 512 strand 4mm OFC copper speaker leads.  Personal view the more strands the better the bass and the smoother the mids and tops .. less strands and less bass and so the mids and tops become more prominent.  Others may disagree and I do not care two hoots as that is what I think and therefore what I do.

With interconnects the biggest differences I ever noted were as follows; first I made up a pair of pre to power interconnects with 300 ohm ribbon feeder cable and i thought it sounded far better than anything else (when I had the Audionics B2 but not any better with the SP9) ...  second - the analogue out on cd players where to my ears interconnects made a difference (well I bought some Sonic LInk cables years ago  as a result til the dog chewed through them .. replaced with some silver interconnects I bought from a guy on here).

My personal view is if you have good quality cables do not even go there with the mahoosivelyh priced jobbies out there unless you have money you do not know what to do with and instead plough that money into better DACs or Amps or speakers.

Runs and hides now with tin hat as the cable worshipers come and through rocks at me 

:sofa:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Hornucopia said:

Marko - I see yours, and raise you.....Marihuana.

Hold on a sec - I wouldn’t want to incriminate myself! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

Isn't it the other way round?  Capacitance. for example, seriously affecting ICs, particularly from cartridges?  I'm too busy to Google it for myself. :rofl:

I'll be honest I gave precisely zero thought to turntables earlier. I forget some strange people still insist on using them :nuts:.

(I have no idea how important interconnect choice may be for vinyl.)

9 minutes ago, marko said:

Hold on a sec - I wouldn’t want to incriminate myself! 

Personal use now accepted?

Good Afternoon All,

The biggest impact on the sound heard will be the impact of the room and the quality of the original recordings.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was playing devil's advocate. No plans to change -- just trying to invite conversation. 

Agree that recording quality is more important. In terms of cables I found the biggest upgrade, a while back, was thoroughly cleaning all the terminals and cable ends. Sounded like a new system. I might do it again over the coming weeks.

Super Wammer

I doubt that either interconnects or speakers cables will universally yield more improvement than the other.  Historically, when I first sold Hi-Fi as a Saturday job in 1974 we only sold superior bell wire for the speakers, and all the interconnects were in the box. 

Then came QED 79 strand, which was noticeably better for speakers.  I don’t remember the first speciality interconnects but they might have been Monster Cable from the USA.  My first purchase of that type was Hitachi LC-OFC which I still use on my tuner.  (They’re the green ones with gold plugs in this picture, sandwiched between Crystal cable for phono, and Atlas for CD).

I’d probably make a case for speaker cable because you’ll benefit from them on every source!

51394B88-1521-4269-BC04-27000FC2777A.thumb.jpeg.a1d94c3c87aa9114282329d3a0685a5f.jpeg

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

It once again is the old saying... Cables do make a difference but not always for the better and the ‘difference’ is just that, different and not always better 

My TQ black ll speaker cable worked well with the Rega Elex-R and very well with the Sugden a21a but not convinced on the Luxman 507. I have run the Luxman on the TQ for a few weeks and later I am going to put in my Van Damme OFC and run for a week.

Interconnects imo, are more difficult to judge. I have two pairs of Transparent MusicLink Super which new would have cost £900 each and these excel on the digital source but I find my cheaper pair of Abbey Road cables work better with the vinyl as it’s not so forward in sound.

ive pondered over a pair of Transparent MusicLink Super speaker cables on the bay at £995 but not prepared to buy and find that they don’t give the impact the interconnects made.. cable dilemma 💭 

Edited by radiant red