plasticpenguin

What has the biggest impact on sound:...

Yeah .. I have heard an audible difference when swapping cables but is it worth it? Depends on how deep your pockets are.

Changes/improvements in the chain nearest the source normally have the biggest effect.  For obviously reasons.

3 hours ago, radiant red said:

ive pondered over a pair of Transparent MusicLink Super speaker cables on the bay at £995 but not prepared to buy and find that they don’t give the impact the interconnects made.. cable dilemma 💭 

I imagine you could try them at home and return if not satisfied....?

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

I imagine you could try them at home and return if not satisfied....?

Std eBay user so unlikely. Those cables were over 3k new and even at 1k, that’s a hell of a lot to risk imo.

To answer your question tho, yes, it would be right to try before you buy. If you pay the right money for audio equipment, it could be easy to move on if not happy but cables are totally different imo

Not sure...I'm still in shock that this a cable thread on page 3 and still civilised...must be the C19 effect. be nice. be very very nice ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, radiant red said:

Std eBay user so unlikely. Those cables were over 3k new and even at 1k, that’s a hell of a lot to risk imo.

To answer your question tho, yes, it would be right to try before you buy. If you pay the right money for audio equipment, it could be easy to move on if not happy but cables are totally different imo

Oh sorry, I just assumed they'd be new at that price! Different matter if used and no return. I have not had Townshend cables but used his supertweeters and have had some of the early isolation products that I purchased directly from a hifi show many years ago. A decent chap that does make some great products that are generally well received, but as I said I've never tried the cables …. have also been tempted though ;-)

Super Wammer

Just to say - the biggest single improvement to my system was moving to my Art Impression Loudspeakers .. everything sounded better even the poor recordings.  My realisation was enforced when I bought some Time Windows - which i used to love and were highly regarded in the late 70s early 80s.   I set them up and put on Crime of the Century and it was very very good - then I put the Art Impressions back in with the same album and WOW ,... now I know they cost a vastly greater sum but by god the sound they produced was more than commensurate with the increase in price.

Now I may be able to make them sound even better with different cables and interconnects and I may be able to make even further improvement with room treatment .. but I have no inclination to do it because quite frankly they rock my socks off. 

On 02/04/2020 at 08:43, MartinC said:

I'll be honest I gave precisely zero thought to turntables earlier. I forget some strange people still insist on using them :nuts:.

(I have no idea how important interconnect choice may be for vinyl.)

While total cable capacitance between phono cartridge and pre-amp input may have a small impact on sound, I doubt that it will be large enough to have a preference. It may be different for each cartridge 7 pre-amp combination

Super Wammer
On 02/04/2020 at 03:23, plasticpenguin said:

RCA interconnects or speaker cables?

Not changed my interconnects since 2008(ish), they are Merlin Chopin from amp to CDP. The rest are budget Chord.

The room...

Kindest regards Julian 

12 hours ago, bigrod said:

The room...

Kindest regards Julian 

Yup, definitely have room for cables. :D

• Haha 2