Sign in to follow this  
Monek

Exakt and not measured subwoofers

Hi all

I'm not new to the forum, well in fact for years I was also registered in the old Linn forum, but this is my first post.

First of all, I would like to  thank all the people who kept the forums alive, with plenty of interesting and usefull threads and informations for many, many years! 

I tried looking for the informations I need, but I was unable to find it. I have an Exakt system with 2 Exaktboxes, external amplifiers and Akudoriks, ExaktSub connected to a pair of JL Audio E112 subfwoofers. This model of subwoofer is not one of the "measured" ones, and I really doubt that even in future Linn will implement it among the measured ones. Some years ago I was the owner of 2 excellent Melodik (which I changed maynly for their dimensions), and when I did the change I was hoping for a large implementation of measured subwoofers in the Linn Konfig database, but now the hope is gone :|

So the question: is it possible to measure by myself the subwoofer and send the informations to Linn so that they can implement it? If so, how does it work? And if this is not a suitable solution, can I try something different to get the same goal?

Let me specify that I don't have particular problems with my setup, quite the contrary, but I do believe that an "Exakted measured sub" can get better performace than if I setup the JL E112 in Konfig using the "standard Exakted sub" (I mean the Akurate sub s.n. 1234567) 

Maybe I'm giving too much importance to this aspect... 

Any suggestion / opinion?

Thanks

Giacomo

Welcome to active participation in the forum. I have two thoughts.

The first is that I remember Phil Budd (Philbo) of Linn saying, I think on the old Linn forum, that using the generic sub setting as you are doing actually enabled the Exaktbox to provide much the greater part of its benefits. You are not, in other words, losing a great deal by not having a specific setting for your sub. Much of the benefit of the Exaktbox Sub is in its ability to cater for an extended time of flight (compared with the primary speakers), and this is more a function of room positioning than the particular sub you are using.

The other thought is that you could perhaps send a personal message to @sunbeamgls, who uses the Exakt Design software to produce profiles for speakers for which Linn have not provided Exakt compatibility. I don't know whether he is able to produce profiles for the Exaktbox Sub, but it is always worth asking.

David

Hi David, 

thank you for your reply. Well I do think that you are right: probably most of the advanteges of the ExaktSub are already there, and in fact the subs integrate very well with the Akudorik. But if there is a chance to squeeze even a small improvement, it would be great. 

So, as you suggest, I will contact Sunbeamgls to understand if Exakt Design software can allow me to "measure" the JL Audio subs

GIacomo

Super Wammer

Thanks DavidHB

Exakt Design cannot address Exaktbox sub. The way to do this is create a set of filters for the speakers plus sub in a standard Exaktbox. It has its limitations as you'd have to design the physical relationship between speaker and sub as a fixed value. And best with 2 subs.

Hi Sunbeangls

it sounds quite complex for a non technical guy. Well, I do understand what you mean but then try to develop these filters is something that it's out of my capacitations.

Also I'm not that motivated to invest a lot of time and energy considering that I don't have any problem with the performance of the system. 

I asked here on the forum because I woul  like to know if there was an easy way to "measure" a subwoofer for an Exakt setup, and you gave me the answer: no, there's no easy way :D

So thank you for your reply

Giacomo

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this