Headphones vs Speakers

8 minutes ago, griffo104 said:

Most of my listening used to be with speakers and I love big bass, used to have a three way active Linn system but nowadays most my listening is through headphones.

Initially this started due to the wife watching the soaps in the evening so I would put the headphones on but now I've endedup appreciating the isolation that headphones give me and connecting more to the music. Whereas I may not get the bass weight that I get from big speakers I get a tighter and more tuneful bass that allows me to follow the basslines better and I think I end up listening to the music more thanks to the isolation. 

I enjoy to read a lot and putting on a classical piece or some jazz allows me to follow the book better than if I have external noises around me. and as a fan of very extreme and noisy music I can follow it better and dissect it more - over recent years I've started to enjoy the analytical side far more then I did 10 years ago.

I still have a simple speaker system system which I use now and again but I find I start to miss the listening experience I now enjoy.

Also I have a few different headphones, amp and dacs which I like to play around with as my mood changes I find it a lot easier than hugging big amps and speakers around.

Hi there, what headphone amp do you use? I have HD650s and connect them to an older Linn system, would a seperate headphone amp make a big difference?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I prefer the intimacy of headphones which also remove the room interactions inherent with 2 channel.

I used headphones a lot 30 years ago, mainly for monitoring my own recordings. I lived in a ground floor flat, Mrs Noisy and her kids lived upstairs, they were allowed to make any kind of noise they l

Most of my listening used to be with speakers and I love big bass, used to have a three way active Linn system but nowadays most my listening is through headphones. Initially this started due to

1 minute ago, Carrington said:

Hi there, what headphone amp do you use? I have HD650s and connect them to an older Linn system, would a seperate headphone amp make a big difference?

Ah the one bit of Linn I kept is my old Linn Majik amp and I currently use this with my HD600. I have a cheapo Sabaj PHA3 little tube amp I also use but it doesn't quite do it for the Senns even though it does a decent job on my RHA and Audio Technica.

I'm still not settled on the amp side yet and keep changing my mind and plan to buy another couple of amps after all this virus stuff passes. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Carrington said:

From my experience it depends. I've a pair of Senn HD6xxx which are the same as HD650's, I love them. Currently I listen through a NAD C368 integrated amplifiers headphone amp and an Arcam rHead dedicated headphone amp. Both are excellent but I slightly prefer the NAD C368's built in head amp.

So, if the Linn built in headphone amp is good it's good.

I find a Schiit Loki in the chain to eq really helps with headphones. We all hear differently and prefer a different balance of sound. All headphones have different fq response, tweak it to suit you.

I've a Feliks Echo on order, dedicated tube headphone amplifier... will see what's it like. You have to try and see what works for you and your headphones, there is no right or wrong answer.

Generally, I think I enjoy headphones more. It might be poor room acoustics or the intimacy. Bass is tighter and more defined, and detail can be superb. Having said that am updating speakers and hope to get them working well with the rooms they are in.

Headphones are easier to get really good sound - probably.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Griffo!
Hope you are keeping well.

I'd be interested in knowing what headphones (and DACs) you are using and have used.  And why you like/dislike them.

Senn600 and AT40 atm, I see.
Always good to know someone else's journey. :)

Edited by JANDL100
6 hours ago, Headcoat said:

From my experience it depends. I've a pair of Senn HD6xxx which are the same as HD650's, I love them. Currently I listen through a NAD C368 integrated amplifiers headphone amp and an Arcam rHead dedicated headphone amp. Both are excellent but I slightly prefer the NAD C368's built in head amp.

So, if the Linn built in headphone amp is good it's good.

I find a Schiit Loki in the chain to eq really helps with headphones. We all hear differently and prefer a different balance of sound. All headphones have different fq response, tweak it to suit you.

I've a Feliks Echo on order, dedicated tube headphone amplifier... will see what's it like. You have to try and see what works for you and your headphones, there is no right or wrong answer.

Generally, I think I enjoy headphones more. It might be poor room acoustics or the intimacy. Bass is tighter and more defined, and detail can be superb. Having said that am updating speakers and hope to get them working well with the rooms they are in.

Headphones are easier to get really good sound - probably.

I now have the Feliks Euphoria and the amp certainly makes a huge difference to sq in my opinion. You won’t be disappointed.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Hi Griffo!
Hope you are keeping well.

I'd be interested in knowing what headphones (and DACs) you are using and have used.  And why you like/dislike them.

Senn600 and AT40 atm, I see.
Always good to know someone else's journey. :)

Hi Jerry

Hope all is well with you.

I've had the hd600 for years, not long after they were released. I was using some Senn IEMs off my phone while the wife watched her soaps but I didn't like them at all. So after many years I went back on the hifi trail and bought the M40X to have a closed back pair. after that I got a Chromebook. I've been streaming for a couple of years now using my phone to a google CCA which is hardwired to our wifi box using Google play.

Wanted to go HD so after trying all the options settled on Amazon HD and that resulted in getting the Cyrus soundkey amp/dac, which proved I needed to get away from built in stuff in the phone and computer.

Recently added an Aimpire AD10 which looks like a copy of a topping d10 but regardless of that sounds superb. Bought the sabaj pha3 and swap between that and the Linn majik.

As mentioned I'm still looking at amps and also going higher up the topping/smsl dac route for more flexibility.

Just bought a pair of RHA t20  IEMs which I am just getting used to.

That's where I am at the moment.

• Upvote 1

I find music more involving with headphone listening, it’s my preferred way of listening.

Been through quite a few pairs of headphones in my time, amps as well, but now settled on a Bottlehead Crack used with Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro or Sennheiser HD600.  I also use my Grado PS500E in a second system with a modified Little Dot 1+.

I generally prefer tubes with headphone listening too.

• Like 1

I think that it’s a case of both. I have used closed back headphones for years for keyboards but not really for listening to music apart from when travelling. 

Now that we are semi-retired and are at home a lot together I needed headphones to be able to listen to a lot more of my music without disturbing my wife too much. 

It was tricky finding headphones that I was comfortable wearing for a long time and ended up more than doubling my planned budget for a pair of Mezes. I am not bothered about the soundstage in the head so much; it is what it is and soundstage on speakers isn’t something that is important to me.

Given a free choice speakers would come first as I prefer not to have anything on my head. But I agree with the comment that in some ways you can lose yourself more in the music. 

But for someone starting out on headphones for the first time I would demo like mad as they are so different for comfort and sound. At a more sensible budget I was really impressed with the Dan Clarks. Shame they provide a rough leather headband. The Focal Clears were also interesting. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to get used to IEMs to see if I can live without the headband due to the length of time I now listen using headphones but I'm still struggling to get  a pair of IEMs that want to fit in my ear comfortably. The RHA are excellent when I manage to get them in my ear properly but this is too random at the moment to fully enjoy them.

On 13/04/2020 at 16:27, richie60 said:

I find music more involving with headphone listening, it’s my preferred way of listening.

Been through quite a few pairs of headphones in my time, amps as well, but now settled on a Bottlehead Crack used with Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro or Sennheiser HD600.  I also use my Grado PS500E in a second system with a modified Little Dot 1+.

I generally prefer tubes with headphone listening too.

I agree about tubes with those two headphones. HD800 with Leben CS300 sounds amazing. But the Mezes sound great on SS. It’s all about the right combo.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, griffo104 said:

I'm trying to get used to IEMs to see if I can live without the headband due to the length of time I now listen using headphones but I'm still struggling to get  a pair of IEMs that want to fit in my ear comfortably. The RHA are excellent when I manage to get them in my ear properly but this is too random at the moment to fully enjoy them.

A possible long term solution is to pay to get a bespoke pair made based on a mould of your own ears. In hifi terms you may find this costs less than you think.

• Like 1

This is something I'm considering that I never thought I would.

In the future I will hopefully be spending time in two different locations and letting one of them on a regular basis. I might well have to consider selling my beloved JBL's.

I would not consider replacing them with a speaker - I'm 99.9% sure that I would be disappointed. So I'd like a really high quality headphone alternative that is comfortable for a couple of hours and produces impeccable sound. I saw the top Sennheisers with their own amplifier on offer and was attracted by its ability to play dsd 256 files from a phone or laptop.

Has anyone heard the 820's? Are they worth the cost? I have an old pair of 600's which need a new cable but the 820 would have to be in a different league.

On 16/04/2020 at 22:40, Tune said:

This is something I'm considering that I never thought I would.

In the future I will hopefully be spending time in two different locations and letting one of them on a regular basis. I might well have to consider selling my beloved JBL's.

I would not consider replacing them with a speaker - I'm 99.9% sure that I would be disappointed. So I'd like a really high quality headphone alternative that is comfortable for a couple of hours and produces impeccable sound. I saw the top Sennheisers with their own amplifier on offer and was attracted by its ability to play dsd 256 files from a phone or laptop.

Has anyone heard the 820's? Are they worth the cost? I have an old pair of 600's which need a new cable but the 820 would have to be in a different league.

I haven't heard the 820 but owning a pair of 600 and recently replaced the cable I'm not convinced I would stay in the Sennheiser stable for a pair of higher end phones now. There are many other options available - and I'm not sure where I would start as you really need to listen to some setups (obvious I know). As for the DSD 256, well my £65 cheapo dac can play these so I wouldn't let that push you in the directions of the Senns, imo. The dacs available now at very reasonable price can handle a large range of high end formats. I've been really surprised at the sound quality some of the cheaper gear can produce so the fact it handles DSD 256 wouldn't persuade me unless you really wanted to stick to a single mnufacturer.

• Like 1
On 09/04/2020 at 07:09, monya said:

I now have the Feliks Euphoria and the amp certainly makes a huge difference to sq in my opinion. You won’t be disappointed.

The Echo arrived today, it's running for an hour or so and it's frighteningly good compared to the Arcam rHead or headphone out on the NAD C368. Or other headphones amps I've owned: Creek, Musical Fidelity. Blown away right now.

As you say huge difference, massive.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Headcoat said:

The Echo arrived today, it's running for an hour or so and it's frighteningly good compared to the Arcam rHead or headphone out on the NAD C368. Or other headphones amps I've owned: Creek, Musical Fidelity. Blown away right now.

As you say huge difference, massive.

Good to know!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.