Pre amp for Berning

johnandvirginia

I can’t see me ever being able to afford the David Berning ZOTL One pre amp to go with my Berning ZH230 power amp.  At present I am using a Bel Canto Pre3vbs and am wondering if the Schiit Freya+ might be a possibility. Anyone with experience of the Freya I should be grateful for your advice. Set up is as follows:

dcs Bartok into  Bel Canto Pre3 into zh230 into Focal Diablos. I know I can connect the Bartok directly into the Berning but I still like my vinyl so need the pre amp.  Thanks for any help. 

The freya is very different to the pre 3vbs , I had both at same time ( standard version) it's incredibly transparent .the pre 3vbs i find has a more organic sound . It's worth experimenting with the freya but hang on to the bc for a while . 

Edited by hifinutt

Pro`s with the bel canto pre 3vbs is 1] each volume input can be set and remembered

2] it has very fine volume control with 200 increments 

3] the bel canto remotes are very tough and last ages 

4] although bC has stopped making the vbs1 separate psu it is possible to get custom cables to make a DC1 to fit BC models if you have the cables , around 400 pounds , if you really want to go higher they do a dc3 

http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home/power-supplies/dc-power-supplies

http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home/power-supplies/dc3-power-supply

that may be an option 

5] padood are the distributors of BC and loud and clear do the repairs [ in the unlikely event you need any] . very cost effective 

as far as i know there is no supply date for the freya plus but the freya solid state version is very cost effective at 580 pounds . only your ears can decide which you prefer and the freya are easy to sell when the time comes . nicely made with a solid feel , the remote is not quite so good but still ok . i used mine with some firebottle monoblocks [ hybrid valve ] and that was a great combo   

• Like 1

I had the pairing with the Pre One (or whatever it's called - it was a long time ago!)

David himself recommended a simple passive attenuator if that was unaffordable. The passive route was used on the ZH270 (with 2 inputs) and l loved the ZH270 - probably even more. 

Edited by Tune

and with a pair of focal diablo`s too if i recall [ like the op] 

At one point indeed :) You have a far better memory than me...

At one point I had 3 Bernings running an active TAD/JBL horn system. David's power amplifiers are special and John is a very luck man :) 

• Like 1

Yes I came and heard the lovely berning combo , if I recall you had a massive sub too !! And the diablo. 

Thanks for your comments guys.  Tune - it must be years since you helped me with tube rolling when I first got my Berning.

Phil, lovely to hear from you - hope you are keeping safe.

• Like 2

One question, have you ever tried the Bartok directly into the Bernings?

1 hour ago, johnandvirginia said:

Thanks for your comments guys.  Tune - it must be years since you helped me with tube rolling when I first got my Berning.

Phil, lovely to hear from you - hope you are keeping safe.

thanks john yes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnandvirginia said:

Tune - it must be years since you helped me with tube rolling when I first got my Berning.

Such are the joys of early onset dementia :) ...

Looking in my cupboard as this jogged something, I have a matched pair of David's preferred vintage RCA 12AU7 and a single output tube (RCA) (which you could have as an emergency spare).

You are welcome to them John, you would just have to arrange for someone to come and take them away as posting (or the thought of it) usually seems to end up in issues!

They are only sat here so might as well go to a good home.

• Like 1

I haven't heard either of those preamps but I can recommend this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190564899247

I've had mine for two year and with top flight caps and nos tubes it really sings. Fully balanced and remote controlled.

I'll be trying a Freya+ with decent tubes once they are back in stock, just to compare.

Edited by Psilonaught
  • Like 1

Hi Antonio. You are quite right to ask.  I should have tried the Bartok directly into the Berning but need to keep the possibility of the analogue input for vinyl. Cheers.

I'm using a Puresound L10 with great results (into monoblock ZH270s)

Obviously the Pre-One would be better, but as you said, budget is restrictive.

• Like 1

The L10 is just superb , you see so few of them , but the remote is not quite so good !! They are rarer than hens teeth s/h