PS Audio

hifinutt

PS audio have some great videos , this one is pretty controversial . their m700 monoblocks are well worth a listen . any owners on here 

• Like 2

particularly interested in the sound quality of these m700 if any owners have any 

from a gary beard article 

A partial description from the PS Audio website: "The Analog Cell is a zero feedback, balanced, Class A, MOSFET input stage. The design closely mirrors the sonic characteristics of a vacuum tube..."

Class D amplifiers used to be regularly knocked for lacking musical passion. But that was long ago, and switch mode amplifiers are no longer musical precisionists devoid of emotion. PS Audio is not the only audio company coupling a custom input stage to a Class D amp module; so I asked PS Audio's Darren Myers about his approach to designing the Analog Cell input stage for the M700:

GB: Are there other MOSFET Input stages driving Class D amps in the marketplace?

DM: There're many amplifiers that have MOSFET input stages.  What makes this amp special is the synergy between the ICE Power module and our input stage. We spent a lot of time listening and tweaking in order to minimize tonal coloration.  In the end, it's not the use of MOSFETs but the overall circuit and component implementation that contributes to the input stage's sonic performance.

What type of sonic signature were you trying to achieve with the M700?

DM: I was certainly going for transparency and openness. I've had a desire for years to produce a class D product that could get out of the way of the music and present recordings without audible colorations. Most class D amplifiers have severe shortcomings such as a 2D soundstage, lack of precise imaging, rolled off treble extremes that lack proper decay, and a greyish midrange that has an audible hardness. The end result is a lack of musical engagement that well designed linear amplifiers have in spades.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/ps-audio-stellar-m700-monoblock-amplifiers/

GCPH Phonostage.. great model when it came out and was very versatile 

1876CF4F-FDCA-4539-886B-20EF79FB45F9.jpeg

Paul's videos are very informative, cable believer but also a great engineer, that admits it annoys him that he believes in them! 

Nice guy, interesting stories and mostly solid information. 

• Like 1

yes seen a few now and they are very watchable , still my bel canto ref 500s runs fairly hot and i am not going to leave it on all the time !!! despite what the video and BC say !! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

review of the ps audio m700 , xtz and wyred for sound amps here 

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/a-class-d-exploration-and-comparative-review-of-ps-audio-wyred-4-sound-and-xtz-r795/

an excerpt 

Finally, The PS Audio sounded excitingly well and very different than the NAD from day one, but gave its best performance only after the 300 hour mark. I accepted the manufacturer defined need for break in, even I am still skeptical on the subject (The XTZ for example weren't supposed to have any break in time, but I did it in anyway for  2 weeks in a row) as I can't find any convincing explanation from experts about the subject. Subjectively, however, it works just fine 😉

In my perception, the PS Audio gave my chain a real push forward, especially with material that marvels at a high dynamic range. I felt the notes exhaled into the soundscape with air to breathe and gently resonating into my room, creating a huge immersive soundstage. In conjunction with the B&W 805s, this amp performed probably the way that Paris Audio salesmen implied as the reason for tripling my investment. 

The sonic effects have been repeatedly dittoed during the writing process with my DSD playlist sans upsampling. It just does everything better than the other amps and adds enthrallment, warmth, speed, punch line and musicality into my modest chain. I’d like to recommend the Stellar S300 as a reference in the class for power amps up to 1500 USD, and I’d be happy to hear an amplifier below and above that mark, which pleases me the same way while listening to my music collection. 

I attribute this perception to the true dual mono design and the Class A analog cell input stage. With Class D, as Bill Leebens from PS Audio has put it, the careful choice of components and design matters most. I have read repeatedly that McIntosh tube amps make the 805s sing, and I’d be curious to know if that given collaboration would really make such a difference in SQ to suffice 4-5 times the price of the S300's 1499 USD? 
The Stellar S300 in combination with the highly resolving B&W 805s - in my opinion - lives up to the promises of its designer and performs sublime and extremely musical. 

I couldn't hear any shortcomings addressed to Class D amplification with that combo and my upstream chain. Being naturally curious, I still aim to find out if the ICEpower 1200AS boards excel better than their smaller siblings, not only on design but on SQ as well. Hopefully with both, stereo amps and monoblocks. By the way, If you're into monoblocks powered with Class D, you may want to listen to the M700 from the PS Audio Stellar series. The M700 features a higher power output provided by an ICEpower 700AS1 board, but the same alluring analog cell as the stereo S300. PS Audio told me it sells nearly the same quantity of M700s as S300s. Fascinating!

• 2 weeks later...

you used to hear about those cullen mods all the time but not so much now 

On 08/05/2020 at 11:45, BeeRay said:

Has anyone had a PS Audio DLIII DAC or even heard one, I'm considering one that has Cullen stage IV mods. 

did you see this ? might be worth a try 

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=PS_Audio_CULLEN_Stage_IV_DLIII_Dac_...official_Cullen_Stage_IV&p=dac&prod_id=80789&offset=

41 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

Yes that's the one I'm considering. I feel the price is on the high side but I don't know much about them. 

Edited by BeeRay

• oldius changed the title to PS Audio

yes can`t say about price but very reasonable for the money for a dac imho 

9 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

yes can`t say about price but very reasonable for the money for a dac imho 

But you can get DACs for around £80 new that measure well. I just feel if I buy it for £495 it will be difficult to sell on for a similar price, if it does not work for me, if the price is around £400 I may take a chance. I was actually looking for something else but happened upon the PS which looked interesting. 

Edited by BeeRay
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

George has written an interesting review of the new ps audio phono stage 

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/148322-ps-audio-stellar-phono-preamplifier/?tab=comments#comment-2681407

And as we are getting on well with the UK distributor I am hoping we can review the Class D amplifiers as they are rather interesting with a MosFet or valve input stage.

On 13/01/2021 at 21:41, George 47 said:

And as we are getting on well with the UK distributor I am hoping we can review the Class D amplifiers as they are rather interesting with a MosFet or valve input stage.

Check out their regenerator as well?