PS Audio

hifinutt

Don't see why not. B|

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There's new firmware for the DirectStream DAC coming in the next few weeks.  If it's anything like previous firmware upgrades, it should provide a decent sonic improvement.

The new firmware, 'Sunlight', is now available for the DirectStream DAC.

After a day of listening to the new firmware, my impressions are very positive. I'm hearing increased detail, a more solid soundstage and superior bass texture and bass definition. It's very impressive. I love these firmware upgrades from PS Audio, it's almost like getting a brand new DAC without having to spend a single penny more, safe in the knowledge you can always revert back to any previous firmware.

Yes, PS Audio have all but confirmed that Sunlight is the DirectStream DAC's swansong before the unit is replaced with a new model later this year. Pre-owned DirectStream DAC prices are likely to tumble when that happens so anyone looking to get their hands on one of the best DACs in the world at a (relatively) reasonable price would do well to wait until then.

I'm not so sure that Directstream prices will tumble when the Mk 2 is introduced, i thought the new price touted for it was eye-watering ?

At the end of the day the existing DAC is a very good performer, and as good as any others i have heard (and i haven't upgraded to the latest firmware yet - doing some system changes and don't want to confuse any issues).

Posted (edited)

So the DirectStream's replacement is rumoured to be incredibly expensive? That's interesting. I assumed it would be priced similarly to the newly released PS Audio SACD transport which costs £6.5K.

Definitely agree regarding the DirectStream being as good as any other DAC. Before buying mine, I had the privilege of testing it against the more expensive Chord DAVE and, though I wouldn't claim that the DirectStream is better than the DAVE (both do things which the other cannot and present music in their own distinct way), I found the sound of the DirectStream more engaging. 

Edited by Zen Monkey