Sign in to follow this  
TooManyCatweazles

So where is the weakest link in my chain - AV5140/EspekT?

1 hour ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

That was a really helpful hint. I looked into princess, and than tried Google for German shops. I think, this should do https://ots-store.com/navi.php?a=93886&lang=ger&curr=EUR&gclid=CjwKCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SG9kFBvJrBf_cedSX6EdONd-U3lq86hdlglL_GpQ7LAWsLaSTrqVzRoC5B8QAvD_BwE

They offer steel and stainless steel. I assume steel would do the job, as it is sealed by the epoxy anyway. Correct?

Yes: that looks like it will work. You might expand the one photo I posted, for it let’s you see the steel shot. Yes, held together with epoxy. I used a Bondo marine epoxy and it worked very well. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling the ones I used might have been stainless, for they were hard, rounded smoothly and uniform. Have a look at both products. Avoid lead as an additive entirely, for it deadens the sound. Good luck. 

You could also use lead shot, shotgun pellets, or just make complete new bases from steel or stone.

17 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

You could also use lead shot, shotgun pellets, or just make complete new bases from steel or stone.

Tests by many over the years have shown that lead has a dampening effect on the sound quality.

• Upvote 1

Wow, neat, I never read that, thanks! My steel bases tightened, but I don't think dampened, good to know. The deletion of the old forum is a great loss.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Wow, neat, I never read that, thanks! My steel bases tightened, but I don't think dampened, good to know. The deletion of the old forum is a great loss.

That is so true. So much helpful information is gone. Of course the current concern is that some of the solutions provided for older equipment and problems may be unfamiliar territory for some Linn dealers, and Linn has essentially made them the front-line workers for solutions [and their helpline]. Both take several days for a response, and if it does not work, one has to start the process over. So, Linn is not exactly going to come right out and say, "yes, we made really lousy and ineffective standard bases for the AV5140/Espek line", nor are they likely to give a financially manageable solution that is actually better than their own solution [to upgrade to their Kustone base]. Thus, much useful, helpful, financially viable, and immediately accessible information is gone. I know this will sound like a broken record [anyone old enough to remember that?:D], but Linn erred greatly in not simply archiving the forum so the material could be accessed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's funny, Google used to return answers for the dead forum. Another interesting aside, Duckduckgo does not index this site, if I need deep search I'm forced to use Google.

I'm in a similar situation. My system is LP12 (Radikal / Kore / Ekos / Akiva), Klimax Kontrol, 2250(D) and Aktiv Espeks with Ku-Stone stands, plus a Klimax 345 sub. The system sounds fantastic, though whenever I hear a good friend's system - which has a lesser LP12 driving Keltiks - I'm amazed at how much musical the Keltiks make a system sound.

A real eye-opener for me was getting a pair of good headphones and listening to my system without the speakers. It sounded incredibly better - so much more musical. When I switched back to listening through the Espeks, the system sounded dead. So that leaves either the Espeks or the 2250s as the weak link in my case.

14 hours ago, David Reimers said:

I'm in a similar situation. My system is LP12 (Radikal / Kore / Ekos / Akiva), Klimax Kontrol, 2250(D) and Aktiv Espeks with Ku-Stone stands, plus a Klimax 345 sub. The system sounds fantastic, though whenever I hear a good friend's system - which has a lesser LP12 driving Keltiks - I'm amazed at how much musical the Keltiks make a system sound.

A real eye-opener for me was getting a pair of good headphones and listening to my system without the speakers. It sounded incredibly better - so much more musical. When I switched back to listening through the Espeks, the system sounded dead. So that leaves either the Espeks or the 2250s as the weak link in my case.

That is a fabulous system. The Espek is a great speaker. Before I went with 242s, I was more than content with the AV5140s. In some ways, I still prefer them to the 242s, but that is another story. This is a dumb question, however, have you played around with positioning. I found the 5140s needed to be at least 10.5 inches from the wall, and toed in for them to really work. Placed too close, and the sound will be flattened and muddied: placed in the best position, and they will suddenly open up, separate all the sounds, and knock your socks off. My Linn dealer Gary and I incrementally moved them by 1/4" spaces back and forth, then played by degree at a time with the toe-in angle to get the right position: it took us over two hours.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I’m with @Eldarboy here. I had the same system at one point and it sounded superb. Espeks are *very* susceptible to changes in position, and are much harder to get right than many ‘speakers.

Headphones are easier to get right - no room issues and, for most models, no crossover problems, as each earpiece will have a single driver.

Mick

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2020 at 21:15, Eldarboy said:

That is a fabulous system. The Espek is a great speaker. Before I went with 242s, I was more than content with the AV5140s. In some ways, I still prefer them to the 242s, but that is another story. This is a dumb question, however, have you played around with positioning. I found the 5140s needed to be at least 10.5 inches from the wall, and toed in for them to really work. Placed too close, and the sound will be flattened and muddied: placed in the best position, and they will suddenly open up, separate all the sounds, and knock your socks off. My Linn dealer Gary and I incrementally moved them by 1/4" spaces back and forth, then played by degree at a time with the toe-in angle to get the right position: it took us over two hours.

I'm on my fifth hour, because I don't have Gary, of one centimeter increment movements of my new 212's. They are getting better each move, and I still have a few hours so go! It seems daunting, and then "too much work", but it costs nothing and the payback is enormous! The more I do it, the more I increase my listening muscles.

Edited by Jail4CEOs2
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this