radiant red

Playing with ‘High Res’ audio today 💭🧐

21 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I do appreciate that some genres are not well represented

Unfortunately, the only genres that are well represented are Jazz and Classical.

1 hour ago, Warszawa said:

:^ No lossy compression or unfolding nonsense to worry about either. MQA is pointless.

For me this is a good enough reason to skip Tidal altogether.. there's always Amazon with as big as Tidal catalogue and uncompressed Hi-Res.

1 hour ago, BeeRay said:

What HiFi reckon that Tidal sound is much better than Qobuz. 

What's HiFi reviews are much worse then useless :peace:

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, BeeRay said:

Gapless on my playback is much worse than any of the other streamers...

I think this cropped up in another thread. Their desktop app is supposed to solve this, assuming your using your computer per your profile. But I think it wasn’t available for Windows until recently.  Have you tried that?   I know a Chromecast can’t do gapless with Qobuz..

I’m fortunate to be able to stream natively - I think that’s the term - on my Linn DS.  

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

Unfortunately, the only genres that are well represented are Jazz and Classical.

I’m sure you’re right.  That doesn’t concern me too much, and I quite like the quirky Frenchness of Qobuz, but I can see how it wouldn’t be a universal choice!

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I think this cropped up in another thread. Their desktop app is supposed to solve this, assuming your using your computer per your profile. But I think it wasn’t available for Windows until recently.  Have you tried that?   I know a Chromecast can’t do gapless with Qobuz..

I’m fortunate to be able to stream natively - I think that’s the term - on my Linn DS.  

Yes I tried that but it would not download. So I'm going to try Deezer HiFi next then may try Tidal again. So that takes care of the next 6 months probably.

The problem is the gap is  sooo long. Some albums are ruined for me, it's like the music suddenly has stopped then 2 seconds later it starts again. 

Been disappointed with Qobuz. Still it's a free trial as long as I can cancel it.

Edited by BeeRay

Super Wammer

Been playing Qobuz most of the day and can’t say I have experienced anything your describing. It’s the only one I can use on the Cambridge to exploit full hi res

Deezer was fine for RED BOOK but not for £20 a month which is what it is. 

Qobuz desktop is gapless for me, maybe clear cookies and try again to download it?

I like Qobuz, but I'm only really interested in classical and the catalogue is good.
Sound quality for me is better than Tidal and I like the interface and the album booklets being available.
And it's cheaper than Tidal and you get a load of hi rez albums, too.

10 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

I like Qobuz, but I'm only really interested in classical and the catalogue is good.

This was the killer for me. I used Qobuz for just one day, as the catalogue for my tastes (EDM, Rock, Psych etc) was lamentable; more gaps than hits !

If you're a Classical / Jazz fan though, fill yer boots; horses for courses I guess.

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, radiant red said:

Been playing Qobuz most of the day and can’t say I have experienced anything your describing. It’s the only one I can use on the Cambridge to exploit full hi res

Have you tried streaming Spotify(at its highest res, 320 I think) natively on the CXN, I have been surprised at how good it sounds on my Oppo Sonica.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, greybeard said:

Have you tried streaming Spotify(at its highest res, 320 I think) natively on the CXN, I have been surprised at how good it sounds on my Oppo Sonica.

I have, my Mrs uses it more than me... I think hi res comes into its own playing at lower levels as well as playing louder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greybeard said:

I'm constantly blown away by Spotify 320kbit on my system. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

What are you lot on about?:D

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 06/04/2020 at 21:37, radiant red said:

Yes £20 pm is too much but the 3 month trial is free so it's ok to try. I have not decided which to subscribe to yet, still trying them out. Amazon also have cd quality streaming now.

Not convinced about HiRez, in tests hardly anyone can tell the difference between 24 bit and 16 bit if it is the same master. That's not to say it's not worth having as some masters for 24 bit are better, mind you some maybe worse. My me it's not a big deal as many albums are not available in HiRes anyway. I don't use a streamer, I'm considering a Bluesound Node 2 at the moment.

Edited by BeeRay
typo

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Qobuz desktop is gapless for me, maybe clear cookies and try again to download it?

Thanks, I tried that, even used CCleaner but did not make any difference, never had this issue before. 

Anyway my trial is over next week and I won't be subscribing, so don't want to waste anymore time on Qobuz. If it had gapless and most of the albums that are on other services then I might subscribe. I think the others will reduce their prices also, Qobuz only has because of Amazon. 

Edited by BeeRay
typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1