AntA

Paul McCartney: Turntables

I've a vague recollection of seeing some old B&W in the background of a McCartney interview.

Super Wammer

Nothing would surprise me - how could one of the best bass guitarists in the world NOT use a Precision or Jazz bass lol 

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Nothing would surprise me - how could one of the best bass guitarists in the world NOT use a Precision or Jazz bass lol 

Best bass guitarists in the world and Paul McCartney - I can't see the connection 😁

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Best bass guitarists in the world and Paul McCartney - I can't see the connection 😁

For the years before McCartney pop bass guitarists followed root notes in the chords being played - McCartney took it out of the box and did harmonies on Bass and opposing licks - lyrical bass lines and melody .. without doubt a great bass guitarist 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

Listen a bit harder.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Beatles & early Wings stuff I'm ok with ....it's his insistence of trying to sing as he did in the 1970's that gets me - he can't do it now and seemingly no one has the bottle to tell him to either stop or modify his approach.  

Edited by MF 1000
  • Like 1

Perhaps he carries on signing because he gets enjoyment out of it, I’m not a massive fan and if his but he’s definitely earned the right to carry on. 

43 minutes ago, Gonepostal said:

Perhaps he carries on signing because he gets enjoyment out of it, I’m not a massive fan and if his but he’s definitely earned the right to carry on. 

:rofl:

I'm a fan, though there have been periods in his career where signing would have been preferable (The Frog Chorus and Mull of Kintyre spring to mind).

• Like 1

As some of you may have guessed I have been for as long as I can remember a Beatles fan and of their solo work. I do concede however that Paul's voice is not as good as it was but at nearly 78 it is not surprising. I do think that sometimes it may be best to call it a day so people remember him at his finest. It brings to mind the song by Bread, Guitar Man. Although in Paul's case he has no trouble filling a stadium.

I've seen him a couple of times in recent years and I was really amazed at his energy as he was on stage for nearly three hours and I do rate seeing him live as the best concerts I've ever been too. Okay his voice was not so good but he still gave a brilliant performance. What amazed me was the age range of his fans ranging from teenagers right through to old fossils like me and older.

I bought his latest album not really expecting much but I was surprised how good it was, in fact I would rate it as one of his best albums for many years, so he never fails to surprise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

Beatles & early Wings stuff I'm ok with ....it's his insistence of trying to sing as he did in the 1970's that gets me - he can't do it now and seemingly no one has the bottle to tell him to either stop or modify his approach.  

Mate have you heard the frog song in DSD128

Posted (edited)

At least it's not Jimi Hendrix trying to sing. Oh boy - dude could play guitar but ..

Springsteen sounds like he's paralytic or dying 

Edited by kernow

On 06/04/2020 at 19:14, uzzy said:

For the years before McCartney pop bass guitarists followed root notes in the chords being played - McCartney took it out of the box and did harmonies on Bass and opposing licks - lyrical bass lines and melody .. without doubt a great bass guitarist 

Have you ever listened to the bass lines on Beach Boys / Brian Wilson records. I think Mr Wilson might have influenced Paul's bass playing

Paul McCartney commented on Wilson's bass lines: "If you were in the key of C, you would normally use–the root note would be, like, a C on the bass ... Brian would be using notes that weren't the obvious notes to use. As I say, 'the G if you're in C–that kind of thing. And [he] also [put] melodies in the bass line."[167]

• Upvote 1

People will be saying next that Ringo isn't the best drummer in the world. :D

• Haha 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AntA said:

People will be saying next that Ringo isn't the best drummer in the world. :D

Thought that was Animal from the muppets, or is it Cozey Powell 🤔

Edited by Lurch
  • Haha 2