AntA

Paul McCartney: Turntables

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, glenhb said:

Have you ever listened to the bass lines on Beach Boys / Brian Wilson records. I think Mr Wilson might have influenced Paul's bass playing

Paul McCartney commented on Wilson's bass lines: "If you were in the key of C, you would normally use–the root note would be, like, a C on the bass ... Brian would be using notes that weren't the obvious notes to use. As I say, 'the G if you're in C–that kind of thing. And [he] also [put] melodies in the bass line."[167]

There is no doubt he was influenced - but that does not take away the wonderful lyrical bass lines being used by McCartney long before the beach boys became popular over here .. I bought Pet Sounds after all the glowing reviews and to be frank was totally disappointed - the only Beach Boys album anyone needs is Greatest Hits lol 

• Like 1

Don't want to get into an argument over Beatles vs Beach Boys, however after over 40 years collecting music of all types and genres I get heartily fed up of everything that is innovative, different, groundbreaking, a first etc in music being credited to The Beatles.

Perhaps before making such broad brush statements like "the only Beach Boys album anyone needs is Greatest Hits" people ought to listen to the rest of their output. Yes there's some rubbish in there even, to a hardened fan like me, but then there's rubbish in every musicians catalogue. 

The Beach Boys are not all about "Surfing U.S.A. and "Fun, Fun, Fun". Have you heard the "Surf's Up", "Holland", "Sunflower" and "Today" albums? . Have you heard "Our prayer" from the 20/20 album

Listen to the isolated backing tracks and vocals for Pet Sounds you might change your mind.In fact listen to most of the Beach Boys backing tracks and they stand up as instrumental tracks in their own right without the vocals. Its very rare that their backing tracks carry a melody line (that's left to the vocal track).

As for the influence on Sir Paul, he has stated in interviews that he was aware of the Beach Boys in the early surfing days so that would be  anytime from 1961, any influence on him isn't dependant on when the Beach Boys became popular over here. 

Plus let's not forget Brian Wilson's role in the development of the modern recording studio and studio techniques.

SIR GEORGE MARTIN:- " If there is one person that I have to select as a living genius of pop music, I would choose Brian Wilson. Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper wouldn't have happened. Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds".

BOB DYLAN:- "Jesus, that ear. He should donate it to the Smithsonian. The records I used to listen to and still love, you can't make a record that sounds that way. Brian Wilson, he made all his records with four tracks, but you couldn't make his records if you had a hundred tracks today."

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I remember having Pet Sounds prior to Sgt Peppers release, and being blown away by it . When Sgt Pepper came out I bought it, got home to play it, and was totally underwhelmed :sofa:

I was only 12 at the time, and I have grown to appreciate it more, as the years passed, but not my favourite Beatles offering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glenhb said:

however after over 40 years collecting music of all types and genres I get heartily fed up of everything that is innovative, different, groundbreaking, a first etc in music being credited to The Beatles.

But that is the way it is no arguing about it or even getting fed up. Pepper was a groundbreaking album that was unlike anything that came before it and is the most influential album of all time......that is just not my opinion ask any musician and I am willing to bet they give you the same answer " Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Pepper said:

But that is the way it is no arguing about it or even getting fed up. Pepper was a groundbreaking album that was unlike anything that came before it and is the most influential album of all time......that is just not my opinion ask any musician and I am willing to bet they give you the same answer " Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band".

There you go, that's exactly the dogmatic waffle about how great the Beatles were that I was talking about. Apparently no one else in musical history ever contributed anything worthwhile.

"Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" is a great album, I own 2 copies myself. There are lots of musicians that have testified to the greatness and influence  of Pet Sounds on their music as well but I'll leave the last word to The Beatles producer. 

"Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper wouldn't have happened ... Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds."

- Sir George Martin, Producer, The Beatles

Super Wammer

Not really sure why we are getting hung up about who the best band is, in almost every case most popular does NOT mean best, whatever the subject (!)

I love The Beatles & I love a lot of the music The Beach Boys produced, but so what, for me Bowie stands far above either of them & I couldn't care less how other people rate him or his music. An individual may think he or she has the best taste & everyone else is wrong, but guess what, every single one of us has an equal right to our choices, no one is right & no one is wrong.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

I find Bob Dylan hard to listen to and tend to just skip the track or switch stations same goes for Bruce Springsteen but this does not make them poor or low quality it just means I do not like them . There is no universal best or most influential album just opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glenhb said:

There you go, that's exactly the dogmatic waffle about how great the Beatles were that I was talking about. Apparently no one else in musical history ever contributed anything worthwhile.

Hardly dogmatic waffle (as history has shown) and also while we are on although you said you were not here to argue who is better I think you knew when you posted exactly what the response would be?

No one said that the likes of The Beach Boys Pets Sounds did not contribute anything but looking at history and listening to comments from the biggest names in music Sgt Pepper was undeniably the most influential record ever made, not an opinion but a fact. Pet Sounds no doubt is fantastic and influenced some of the recording techniques but The Beatles were all ready on a different path to other bands way before Pepper. 

I have both Sgt Pepper and Pet Sounds, I like them both. But if I had to choose I would go for Sgt Pepper, however a good friend of mine is a Beach Boys fan and thinks the Beatles were C**p. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

• Like 2

God Only Knows why I bothered

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, glenhb said:

God Only Knows why I bothered

But bother you did.

I'd be more interested to find out what gold lurks amongst those albums strored above his turntables.

• Like 1

3 copies of Pet Sounds

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, glenhb said:

3 copies of Pet Sounds

And their greatest hits!