deepsleep

Streamer/DAC - Where did I go wrong ?

17 hours ago, Timbo21 said:

The ATC SCM40's previously mentioned are a sealed design and don't have ports. Therefore, they could work in your room and less likely to cause boom problems, since sealed speakers are often easier to place nearer walls. If you wish to keep your amp, then the passive versions of the ATC's may be in order, and probably about the correct price range to match with your amp. There are floorstanders that will work in your room size. If your dealer doesn't do ATC's see if he has any sealed floor standers for you to try. If not go elsewhere. Your amp is quite a lot more expensive than your speakers, and those Harbeth are tiny. The speakers are the obvious weak link, throttling the rest of the system.

+1 :)

And I just checked in today. And absolutely delighted with the change in mood on this thread. Please keep the good thing going sirs :D

20 hours ago, ChemMan said:

There is a lot of truth to this.   And this fellow is getting some bad advice from somewhere. I have experience with most of these products in this thread.

Someone said he needs a more transparent amp?  Nonsense.  I've had that same McIntosh amp sitting here for 18 months.  That's about as transparent as it gets for that money and it is overpriced in the UK.   $3500 USD when new in the States is another story.

Interestingly, when I compared the ND5 XS2 to a Chord Qutest with a SBooster and Node2 streamer I found the Naim to be bass light and much preferred the Chord. This combo comes in at the same price in Euros as does the Naim.

And to your point, this Altair G1 has been sitting here running non-stop for nearly a month. I put the Node back into service yesterday out of curiosity. There is now a noticeable difference between the two sources when initially I was underwhelmed.  I'm glad to have had this nice chance to sample a new source for so long, much as I did with the Spendors.

Finally, as you mentioned @TheFlash, we have both found the Node2 to be a fabulous piece of kit.   Does the Altair sound a bit better to me? Sure.  Is it 4x better?  No, but it is 4x the price.  Will I pony up and buy the Altair?  I don't know. Would I sell the Node2 and buy a Node2i?  Yes, Tomorrow.

Thanks for this post @ChemMan

19 hours ago, deepsleep said:

I am immensely grateful for the useful responses to my post (cry for help).

The upgrade journey has been going on for the past 18 months with the dealer suggesting add-ons whenever I complained about any shortcoming.

I had already informed the dealer that I was looking for a pre-retirement end-game system - no more upgrades, lifting heavy boxes or bending over fiddling around with cables.

I'm not saying that I preferred the Naim sound to the Chord rather that the huge price difference didn't seem justified in my case (my friend is delighted with the benchmarking).

The MScaler wasn't intended as a stepping stone towards the Dave but rather a means of 'improving' the sound of my 16bit FLAC library - as already mentioned, quality of music production means many tracks will continue to sound flat even after upsampling so I would have been better off buying 24bit Hi-res versions of the same tracks instead.

I did demo Chord amps (TToby and SPM-1050) to try and stay with the same brand but the warmth and mid-range of the McIntosh was instantly noticeable.

As for speaker choice, I did demo B&W 804 D3 with the McIntosh which sounded really good in the demo room but my listening space at home is only 13ft x 13ft and I was concerned about potential boominess so didn't try them at home.

At home, each speaker is 9ft away from my listening position.

My relatively small listening room meant I didn't consider floorstanders and monobloc amps.

The Harbeths were recommended and I was initially very satisfied but after a few months I found them to be a little bit bass light with certain genres and in particular watching DVDs and the dealer suggested connecting a subwoofer to the McIntosh to address this !

As for dealer demos - I was usually loaned kit over a weekend or during the weekdays - not the several weeks needed to fully bed in.

So what am I going to do now ?

Well, I'm going to simplify my setup and listen to that for the next 4-6 weeks: Auralic Streamer > Hugo TT2 > McIntosh Amp > Speakers

This will allow me to gauge how much the extra bits and pieces were actually adding to the sonic picture.

Btw, I did discuss the prospect of changing some of my kit with the dealer but I was dismayed by the suggested part-exchange valuations.

After reading the responses, I am keen to replace the Harbeths...I won't go back to the dealer (he was suggesting IsoAcoustic Isolation last time we spoke) !

Iam sorry for calling you a lad.  You seem to be older than me :D

Super Dealer

@  the OP,  just because you have a small room doesn’t mean you have to use speakers which have a limited bass response.

It is completely possible to enjoy a full range sound, it just requires acoustic measurement and then adjusting the speakers output with a touch of EQ.

Keith

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PuritéAudio said:

@  the OP,  just because you have a small room doesn’t mean you have to use speakers which have a limited bass response.

It is completely possible to enjoy a full range sound, it just requires acoustic measurement and then adjusting the speakers output with a touch of EQ.

Keith

I use a cheap Dayton DSP that costs 150 pounds,  peanuts in comparison to the cables being used :D

But the best improvement in sound I've ever had. I now have wet dreams, about something in the range and ability of a deqx. But that is probably for a separate thread :)

3 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Iam sorry for calling you a lad.  You seem to be older than me :D

You have a gift with words 😂

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
37 minutes ago, deepsleep said:

I am still a lad compared with the knowledgeable souls who have lent me a hand on this forum.

Be good if you could fill out your profile with personal details and kit. Especially as once the restrictions are over there will be Bake-offs you can attend or you could host your own to get other ears, involved. If we know whereabouts, you are then locals could offer assistance. 

ATC are marmite, so audition them long and hard. Personally, not for me.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, newlash09 said:

I use a cheap Dayton DSP that costs 150 pounds,  peanuts in comparison to the cables being used :D

But the best improvement in sound I've ever had. I now have wet dreams, about something in the range and ability of a deqx. But that is probably for a separate thread :)

In my experience, the (Nick's) cables do make a real sonic difference. I think the problem here is that they give more Chord and it appears to me that for the OP Chord is simply not his sound.

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear of how the dealer seems to have taken advantage of you.  However, you do still have some top kit there.

If you like the Harbeth sound, I would urge you to try the SHL5+... your room size should be fine, used to have mine in a much smaller room.

Mac

• Like 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

In my experience, the (Nick's) cables do make a real sonic difference. I think the problem here is that they give more Chord and it appears to me that for the OP Chord is simply not his sound.

I recall from the op’s starter post,  he didn’t have any issues with the sound of his system but rather he felt that his friends all in one box did the same for less money. 

I for one am not convinced that his friends all in one box did have the same sound quality but rather that a relatively quick swop over wasn’t sufficient to do a proper comparison. 

The wam machine has leapt into action to try to rubbish a perfectly good system and then gone on to try to get the OP to change some or all of that perfectly good system. My advice to the OP is to stop listening to his system and to listen to some music instead for a few weeks. 

PS, thanks for the shout out re my cables!

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I recall from the op’s starter post,  he didn’t have any issues with the sound of his system but rather he felt that his friends all in one box did the same for less money. 

I for one am not convinced that his friends all in one box did have the same sound quality but rather that a relatively quick swop over wasn’t sufficient to do a proper comparison. 

The wam machine has leapt into action to try to rubbish a perfectly good system and then gone on to try to get the OP to change some or all of that perfectly good system. My advice to the OP is to stop listening to his system and to listen to some music instead for a few weeks. 

PS, thanks for the shout out re my cables!

I agree. To many ideas, to many opinions that have nothing to do with the opening post.

Id suggest starting at page one, post one of the below thread. Forget about changing  just listen to some new to you music. Or sell the lot and buy a CCA or something else thats ridiculously cheap.

Edited by Lee M

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Lee M said:

I agree. To many ideas, to many opinions that have nothing to do with the opening post.

Id suggest starting at page one, post one of the below thread. Forget about changing  just listen to some new to you music. Or sell the lot and buy a CCA or something else thats ridiculously cheap.

Agreed apart from the CCA which I have never been able to make good sounds! :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Agreed apart from the CCA which I have never been able to make good sounds! :D

Lol. I think this thread is just a case of buyers remorse.