Linn Keilidh.

Well this is an engaged group but I have asked for your opinion. I had not made many changes over the years so I do think I would like to make a meaningful improvement. The Majik DSM sounds like a big step. Other local options include Moon Simaudio ?

P

Welcome Paul and sorry for the spate usually most here are more even tempered hope it is just covid speak

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nrwatson said:

Welcome Paul and sorry for the spate usually most here are more even tempered hope it is just covid speak

With all due respect, I simply offered an opinion about his older Linn electronics and backed it up with a similar opinion by a respected authority (the great John Atkinson who is also an owner of an LP12 so this is not an "anti-Linn thing." ) It obviously set off DebsE and I had no intention of starting a war of words here. But his "UTTER drivel" in reply to my post was a nasty overreaction and could have just as easily been "I disagree with your opinion."  However, I wish Paul continued enjoyment from his 30 year old Linn amp/pre-amp combo and his loyalty to said equipment is admirable.  My recommendation on how to allocate his funds for upgrades still stands though.  Sorry if that conflicts with your opinion Debs. 

Edited by mskaye
refinement

Posted (edited)

If it were me I would go for a Karousel since the bearing is the most fundamental part of the LP12.  This then gives the ‘opportunity’ of effectively getting a discount on some other Linn kit.  As others here have said an obvious candidate is an MDSM. Ideally in any normal world you would go and have a listen before deciding, but this may not be possible. This scheme has the undeniable advantage of reducing box count and giving you a quality streaming source.

Outside of Linn, if you want to replace your amps you will find a gazillion choices and about a gazillion different opinions on the merits of each. A good starting point to explore this would be the general stereo area of the Wam forum.

For myself, I know I like the Linn sound and feel no need to listen elsewhere. Nor do I want to spend the endless hours that would be required.

Good luck.  I had LK1/2 back in the day and while I very much enjoyed them (in full colour, no grey that I recall) it is no surprise that there have been significant improvements over the last 35 years or so.

Edited by Mark57
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I used to have an LK1/LK100 combination. It worked beautifully with the LP12. I got rid of it eventually as it wasn't very sympathetic toward CDs. 

I now have a Moon Ace. Get the right phono stage and you've cracked it.

Edited by Guzziboy

I find the advice given by several here to get the Karousel rather amusing. I suspect that none of those advising it have heard it, but there is a tendency amongst committed Linnies to wholeheartedly embrace any and every upgrade that Linn offers for the LP12.

Don't do it unless you can get a side by side comparison with what you already have.

• Upvote 1

So has anyone plugged an LP12 into the new Selekt and is this a real improvement ?

P

Wow, this thread got full on pretty quick.

My Linn history:

Majik-I (LK version)+Rega Planar 3 > Majik-I/LK275+P3 > Kairn/LK275+P3 > Kairn/LK275/LK280+80's LP12 (w/ Cirkus) > Kairn/2xKlout+LP12 > Exotik/2xKlout+LP12 > Exotik/2x2250/D+LP12 > AEDSM/Exaktbox/2x2250/D+LP12

The 80's LP12 already had Trampolin II and Cirkus; I went from Majik PSU > Lingo 2 PSU and added  Kore subchassis at different times, currently have Adikt MM cart.

You don't say a lot about your LP12, but given you have a better arm, same PSU and probably a better cart than me and given my expereince as noted above, I concur with those that have suggested look at the amps rather than deck for $ value, 'source first' philosophy not withstanding. If the amp chain can't reproduce what the source is already capable of, then improving the source is never going to be the best value.

If you like the LK sound, a second hand Kairn/Klout in good condition would be cheaper than most LP12 upgrades (new) and absolutely smash them for improvement in overall sound.

I loved my Kairn/2xKlout (aktiv) sound and still miss it in some ways, but the detail and ease with which my current set-up plays is far better.

The current Majik DSM would be the next step cost wise and I'm sure the pre-amp stage would be significantly better + you would get access to SO which is the equivalent to an amp upgrade in itself. I don't know how it would compare with the LK2, it is sure going to sound different though. If you listen to 'difficult' music, maybe the lower power of the integrated amps would be frustrating?

Anyway, hope my experience helps navigate the other comments on this thread as well.

• Upvote 1

Despite the source first philosophy I would also do the amps first in this case, later revisit the deck. 

Many years ago while I was using an IncaTech Claymore integrated amp  (still have and now serviced and modded by Colin Wonfor the designer of it)  I borrowed an LK1/280 wasn’t impressed.  It wasn’t until the Karin came out I bought one a long with an ex demo 280/spark.  It was better in some areas.  I don’t think it was until the Karin got the SMPS that it came alive.  I later swapped to Klouts etc, before moving to 5103, 5125 and 2250 era. 

As comments above the sound and character does change as you go newer, it gets cleaner, less muddle, leaner and more detailed.

if want to keep some of the older sound, then Kairn with SMPS would give you a great phono stage and pre amp, then a Klout or a 280/spark. 

The move to a Majik DSM would bring so much more functionality plus improved sound, then add a 5125 with a set of aktiv cards and you will be huge step forward for sensible outlay.  You could later straight swap Keilidh for Ninka, same cards used. 

Its about getting to where you want to end up in a few steps as possible and making the most of each pound spent. So sometimes the order you up grade has to get shuffled around.  

The deck hasn’t turned bad just because a new bearing has arrived, get it serviced and move those early LK amps on, they were never that good in my view. 

6 hours ago, 9designs said:

Despite the source first philosophy I would also do the amps first in this case, later revisit the deck. 

Many years ago while I was using an IncaTech Claymore integrated amp  (still have and now serviced and modded by Colin Wonfor the designer of it)  I borrowed an LK1/280 wasn’t impressed.  It wasn’t until the Karin came out I bought one a long with an ex demo 280/spark.  It was better in some areas.  I don’t think it was until the Karin got the SMPS that it came alive.  I later swapped to Klouts etc, before moving to 5103, 5125 and 2250 era. 

As comments above the sound and character does change as you go newer, it gets cleaner, less muddle, leaner and more detailed.

if want to keep some of the older sound, then Kairn with SMPS would give you a great phono stage and pre amp, then a Klout or a 280/spark. 

The move to a Majik DSM would bring so much more functionality plus improved sound, then add a 5125 with a set of aktiv cards and you will be huge step forward for sensible outlay.  You could later straight swap Keilidh for Ninka, same cards used. 

Its about getting to where you want to end up in a few steps as possible and making the most of each pound spent. So sometimes the order you up grade has to get shuffled around.  

The deck hasn’t turned bad just because a new bearing has arrived, get it serviced and move those early LK amps on, they were never that good in my view. 

I feel vindicated.  

Thanks for all your comments and enthusiasm. It is appreciated.

Stay safe and well

On 08/04/2020 at 17:29, DebsE said:

UTTER drivel.

I compared the LK1/LK2 vs the eqivalent Naim in 1986 and the Linn blew the Naim away. Your opinion may differ but quoting some magazine review when you have not done an audition is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike!

Additionally most LK2s went back to the factory for a heatsink upgrade making them LK275s (mine certainly did - the heatsink failure had led to a blown channel, fixed under warranty), so yet again, that Stereophile review is  is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Certainly my experience back in 1986 when I worked for my local Linn dealer (Precision Audio, Inc. back then), they just blew Naim away! Maybe they just needed a recap. 

I remember that we received our first LK1/LK2 for demo and blew the LK2 in less than 30 minutes while driving a pair of Saras. Audiophile Systems (Linn's USA distributor back then) quickly sent us replacement boards (which we blew again), and then Linn intervened with tons of modifications to the power amp boards to make them more reliable but it took a lot of trial and error testing. At one time even the power transistors were swapped for a more reliable model, and the grey insulator between the transistors and heatsink was also changed to thermal compound. We sold LK1/LK2 combos like hot cakes on Christmas 1986!!!

• Upvote 1