Jump to content

Posselt


TheFlash
 Share

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer
26 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:
22 hours ago, Speedracer said:
Look better in white, but I am a patient guy & can wait...

Do you know how many pairs were made in white?

I doubt any were Lawrence, I would have them spray painted should I get a pair.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Speedracer said:

I doubt any were Lawrence, I would have them spray painted should I get a pair.

And if I’d kept the black ones, I would have done the same. It’s about both personal taste and aesthetic fit of course, and in my Kendal pad only white would work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Super Wammer

Nice to see @Lurch showing some love here for the black Posselts, courtesy of owner @chrisph who decided they needed a nice day out.

felt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer

Glad to get my babies home and back in situ after the visit to @Lurch and then onto @Speedracer for a test run.  They had a good work out with various amps and they coped well with whatever was driving them.

1637166266664.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer

@chrisph, it was wonderful to get to hear them in situ, & they did not disappoint, I don't think I have ever heard instruments sound so real & "in the room", it was quite exhilarating at times, They really are fantastic speakers, but sadly the conclusion I came to was that if a pair were to come up for sale I would have to say no, & it hurts me to say that. The sound was huge, so much so I could feel that my small room was holding them back. They need a room bigger than I have, sadly for me, & if I ever move then the first thing I will do is try & hunt a pair down, that is how much I like them. Ah well...

DSC_0038.JPG

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pm inbox full Brook..

Jack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Pm inbox full Brook..

Jack

Cleared Jack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I've previously tried to make contact elsewhere within Wigwam that Posselt Albatross has been mentioned; I'd wanted to show interest in discussing detail differences between pairs and any modifications that have been considered or implemented.

I have owned a Kevlar mid/bass drivered, early, possibly development, pair of these lovely sounding speakers for more than 3 decades during most of which I have felt very little temptation to invest significantly in another speaker model. Having said that I should admit to having acquired Bowers DM70, Decca Volt, Technics SB-E100 and some Goodmans Triaxial and Leak Sandwich drivers (when the prices were right!) for future 'experimentation'.

As with the teak Albatrosses the marble platforms of mine have been replaced with (bigger area and thicker - very much heavier) granite slabs made from kitchen worktop offcuts. After 20 plus years the original platforms cracked through the veining - a bit of a let down! I replaced the original spacing 'bobbins' - they looked like short lengths of vehicle water hose (cloth impregnated rubber tube) - with turned lengths of Delrin tube. Combined, the platforms and rigid spacers 'stabilised' the speakers giving a general improvement to the sound.

I'd be pleased to learn what space exists between cabinet and platform on other Albatrosses. Also I've picked up that the cabinet base ports differ, both in the size of the cabinet hole and length of tuning pipe, if any, fitted.

So far I've not made any other changes. I have a number of ideas in mind - but these will have to wait a while longer.

I have exclusively used valve amplifiers; for the past 20 plus years they've been driven by Unison Research Smart 845s which have worked very well both singly and bi-amped.  Graham Tricker also used UR Smart 845 driving Albatrosses to good effect at the time he was first developing his Tron electronics; one of my pairs of 845s came to me via Graham.

My wilder dreams are about obtaining Dantax Albatross 8's!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
On 27/12/2021 at 17:00, Analogue forever said:

I'd be pleased to learn what space exists between cabinet and platform on other Albatrosses. Also I've picked up that the cabinet base ports differ, both in the size of the cabinet hole and length of tuning pipe, if any, fitted.

So far I've not made any other changes. I have a number of ideas in mind - but these will have to wait a while longer.

I have exclusively used valve amplifiers; for the past 20 plus years they've been driven by Unison Research Smart 845s which have worked very well both singly and bi-amped.  Graham Tricker also used UR Smart 845 driving Albatrosses to good effect at the time he was first developing his Tron electronics; one of my pairs of 845s came to me via Graham.

My wilder dreams are about obtaining Dantax Albatross 8's!  

Hiya,

I have measured the gap and on my pair it is 1.5cms.  It is quite difficult to measure the diameter of the bass port, without taking off the slab, so I estimate that is about 5cms in diameter.  With regard to measurement @TheFlash may have some more details as he did a lot of work with the teak version he has, using my version as a template.

I was not aware of the Dantax Albatross version - more reading coming up I feel.

Is your version also an MDF cabinet or other material?

I am still trying to decide whether I prefer one of the Class D amps I have over my Cyber Consonance SET amp.  All good fun trying out the different setups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
48 minutes ago, chrisph said:

It is quite difficult to measure the diameter of the bass port, without taking off the slab, so I estimate that is about 5cms in diameter. 

The ports are 115mm internal diameter, hole in cabinet = 120mm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

The ports are 115mm internal diameter, hole in cabinet = 120mm.

Knew you would have the details to hand.

@Analogue forever  Hope this helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer

Dantax took over Posselt . The speakers are probably more like my teak ones as originally presented = same bodywork but the audio equivalent of a Ferrari with a Citroen engine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
Just now, chrisph said:

Knew you would have the details to hand.

@Analogue forever  Hope this helps.

I’m digging through emails! But happy to help spread the love!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

Dantax took over Posselt . The speakers are probably more like my teak ones as originally presented = same bodywork but the audio equivalent of a Ferrari with a Citroen engine.

OK. And what little I have read about the Dantax version was not particularly complimentary.  Probably the usual strategy of a new company reducing the costs and so not getting the same quality product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, chrisph said:

OK. And what little I have read about the Dantax version was not particularly complimentary.  Probably the usual strategy of a new company reducing the costs and so not getting the same quality product.

Grateful if you could point me to anything on the Dantax.

I probably said in an earlier post on my teak albatross thread that I believed Dantax (or predecessor) had taken over the Posselt brand, may or may not have introduced the gorgeous teak (real wood, not veneered) cabinets but in the process replaced the original SEAS mid/bass units with appallingly cheap no-name drivers and replaced the excellent crossover with a cheap-as-chips equivalent. Absolutely as you suggest, they cut costs and in the process ripped the guts out of the design Jens Posselt had taken 7 years to perfect. I think I must be one of the (un?) fortunate few people to have ever directly compared an original pair vs their successors and the difference was staggering.

For the record, whilst I love the looks of my teak ones, I think the black MDF cabs are technically the better cabinet. Before I added bitumen sheeting to dampen the teaks, they rang to the rap of a knuckle in a way the denser MDF cabs did not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • oldius changed the title to Posselt

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...