TIU

Speaker grilles, anyone buy them separately?

Super Wammer

It’s a silly price isn’t it, but the original foam was prone to crumbling away.  It was part of that fluted look, like the original Sondek. 

I never quite got how KEF’s finest B139 and 110 drivers, plus a Hiquphon? tweeter in a complicated box made it so desirable, but some people still seem to revere them. 

Super Wammer

I bought replacement foam grilles for my Linn Sara 9,s they were spot on and still are total cost £45 incl postage . That offer is not only over priced but by the looks of it not even as good as the Linn Sara grilles I bought for a lot less money .

£820 is a pisstake. I bought a battered pair of Isobariks way back in about 2002. The foam was rotten, so I bought some sheets of thick acoustic foam (from Wilmslow, I think) and cut it to size myself. It cost peanuts and looked good (though not sculpted).

And if we're being really frank, it would take a hell of a lot more than original spec grilles to make briks look good. 

Maybe he's out of stock and discouraging purchasers?

Posted (edited)

Are these copies? It says no bids yet there are 11 bids. Why is all the feedback in French?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bowers-Wilkins-802-D3-Platinum-Speakers/362978543568?hash=item54833507d0:g:NwwAAOSwJD1eot~U

Edited by TIU

Posted (edited)

They are French pawn brokers doh. Bidding is up to £10.6k Delivery seems very reasonable.

Edited by TIU

Without starting another topic... sellers who have pushed in tweeters. They almost always say it doesn't affect the sound in any way, as if to dismiss the damage to what are pieces of furniture. Would they buy a sideboard with damaged drawer fronts and proudly display it in their lounge? No, they wouldn't yet they expect people to buy their damaged speakers. They will also say the damage doesn't really bother them and you cannot see the damage with the grilles on. It has become a true cliche on eBay and with selling speakers in general.