Fourlegs

Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS powering my Dave and Mscaler

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
I have been listening for the last couple of weeks to a Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS power supply replacing the factory SMPS in the Dave.

Oh my goodness it is simply stunning and takes the Dave to a completely new level of sound quality. The top end is even more smooth and refined and the bass is thunderous and fully defined.

Then I added a DC4 supply to my Mscaler and things got really serious.

I am completely blown away by what these power supplies have done to my system.

This is the link to Sean's DC4 page on his website.

I took these photos.

DSC04283.thumb.jpg.f4bb7842631b1649cdd5d97442b08767.jpg

DSC04255.thumb.jpg.78cb74cab761d6a85b9ef87dcfaa4263.jpg

DSC04259.thumb.jpg.326e3991121e6a42bdc1dbc0d276de1f.jpg

DSC04289.thumb.jpg.4c9ee66cbb2e249d88b9eeef094c47b8.jpg

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Cheers FL
Nice to see the attention to detail with sound deadening on the inside of the case. Can you tell us how much it was and can it Power more than one device at a time? 

I was recommended one of these to try with the Temple Audio monos. I have their Superchargers at the mo, but as a rule I have found that battery/super capacitor supplies aren’t great.

I had the Uptone LPS1 which was destroyed by the LPS2...

Edited by Thetiminator

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Sean did initially try having other output rails in the same box so that it could supply more than one device at a time but cross contamination of noise deteriorated the sound quality.

I have tried the Uptone LPS-1.2 with the Mscaler but it was not in the same league (it also got very hot because the mscaler current demand is close to the LPS-1.2 maximum).

The DC4 power supply for the Dave is not cheap, it is £4400 but in my opinion it doubles the sound quality of the Dave. The DC3 version is £2000. I sold my DC3 Dave supply and the buyer's report back to me on it was :-

"The biggest changes I am hearing with Sean's PSU are:
  1. Bass. It is deeper, more visceral, and extended. Bass notes have more texture as well as impact. Tighter all round.
  2. Clarity and resolution. There is an increase in the ability to resolve very fine details. I suspect this is due to a reduction in the noise floor.
  3. Dynamics: this is quite noticeable, and to be expected given the huge current reserves in the DC3 supply.
  4. Tonality: this one is quite interesting, as I feel there is a slight shift towards brightness with the DC3. Not to the level of harshness or anything, but a subtle tonal difference."

There is more info on Sean's website including his contact details.

http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 1

Cheers FL

But £4.4k bloody hell!!!! I’m a great believer in quality PS’s especially with digital (the more and higher quality the better) but don’t think I could justify that on a pair of £500 class d monos. I’m going to try some higher end Class D amps and see what gives with those...but it may be an interesting comparison with the Temples and DC4...

Super Wammer

I’ve heard the difference the power supplies can make at a couple of Naim demos, but was never entirely sure why so few manufacturers pursue that route.  I’ve seen serious amplifiers and digital gear from the likes of D’Agostino, Innuos and DCS using them too. 

I’m still amazed that they can make such a difference at this already exalted level, but obviously some kit lends itself to such improvements.  I wish I had the money to try for myself!

• Like 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

I’ve heard the difference the power supplies can make at a couple of Naim demos, but was never entirely sure why so few manufacturers pursue that route.  I’ve seen serious amplifiers and digital gear from the likes of D’Agostino, Innuos and DCS using them too. 

I’m still amazed that they can make such a difference at this already exalted level, but obviously some kit lends itself to such improvements.  I wish I had the money to try for myself!

Of course Sean Jacobs designs the power supplies in the Innuos Statement and other components of their gear.

When this pesky Covid 19 is gone I will have a bake off so we can listen to the effects of various power supplies . . . . .

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 1

Super Dealer

I continue to be amazed that the Chord ‘Dave’ has such poor internal  filtration/regulation that it can be improved by a ‘better’ power supply.

You really ought to write to Chord and complain.

Keith

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

That is one hell of an expensive power supply ... not sure I can see 2K or 4K's worth of components in there, but I guess bespoke low volume stuff costs and if it does the trick, good for you.

Edited by t1no

I really wish Mr. Franks would put his casework second and stop using SMPSU's for all his products. It would stop a lot of heated debate and voided warranties. Must drive Mr. Watts round the bend. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

I really wish Mr. Franks would put his casework second and stop using SMPSU's for all his products. It would stop a lot of heated debate and voided warranties. Must drive Mr. Watts round the bend. 

I think Mr Franks probably knows a thing or two about power supplies ...

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/news/john-franks-chord-electronics-took-flight/

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

I continue to be amazed that the Chord ‘Dave’ has such poor internal  filtration/regulation that it can be improved by a ‘better’ power supply.

Keith

Perhaps you could give Chord a head start by writing to them and explaining where they're going wrong?

Edited by notevenclose

Super Dealer

Isn’t it obvious?

Keith

• Like 1

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

8 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Isn’t it obvious?

Keith

Keith,

Could you be a pet and do us all a favour and put @Fourlegs on ignore? Then the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with quite so many of your predictable, tedious, repetitive dismissals of things of which you have absolutely no personal experience and yet continue to dismiss based on a dodgy and partial scientific understanding and an irrational belief in the (measurably) rational.

Just a thought. Happy to discuss. PM me!

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Keith,

Could you be a pet and do us all a favour and put @Fourlegs on ignore? Then the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with quite so many of your predictable, tedious, repetitive dismissals of things of which you have absolutely no personal experience and yet continue to dismiss based on a dodgy and partial scientific understanding and an irrational belief in the (measurably) rational.

Just a thought. Happy to discuss. PM me!

Fair is fair, I have him on ignore and my life is the richer for that decision. 

Can i ask a crude question. How much is everything pictured above. I dont even begin to understand all whats being done by the fancy red and black cable or the upscaler thing. Could you not get this performance for less by getting a better one box solution plus a power supply.