Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS powering my Dave and Mscaler

5 hours ago, Firebottle said:

I have found that almost anything that is powered by a SMPS is improved audibly when powered from linear power.

Far too much broadband noise, even if it is supposedly below the stated 'noise floor'.

Agreed. For instance the iFi Elite only mentions Audio Band noise as far as I can see in its specification (I only had a quick look).

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a superb post.  *Start ramble* This seems a little more reasonable than the copy n paste vomit spewed from a certain measurement "gospel" website obsessive. Jesus wept, people g

I am going to have to disagree. As a example Naim audio makes very good streamers/DACs. As a customer you can go to your local Naim Audio shop compare it to other streamer DACs and after a listen

I continue to be amazed that the Chord ‘Dave’ has such poor internal  filtration/regulation that it can be improved by a ‘better’ power supply. You really ought to write to Chord and complain.

Posted Images

On 04/04/2021 at 16:18, Cable Monkey said:

Things might be about to change. Amazon will deliver an iFi Elite iPower PSU to me sometime in the next couple of hours. It is a SMPS with noise cancelling technology. Tiny in size but able to deliver 4 amps at 12 volts, it might be something of a game changer. I use an SMPS at the very core of my system in the SMPS 600’s that power my NCore NC400 amps and that pretty much demonstrates to me that it is possible to build capable SMPS’s. My mantra is a good PSU is the aim. Being linear doesn’t guarantee it being good, or switched mode bad. 

Well so far this isn’t working out. It certainly has an impact but in my use case the impact is negative. It is powering an isolating Ethernet switch.

1 hour ago, Cable Monkey said:

Well so far this isn’t working out. It certainly has an impact but in my use case the impact is negative. It is powering an isolating Ethernet switch.

Which one? (Ethernet switch I mean). And what psu did you use for the isolating switch before the iFi?

I currently have an Ether Regen powered by an SBooster but admit that an Innuos PhoenixNET is arriving on Friday (with its own internal PSU).

It is the EtherRegen with its standard Uptone 7.5 volt brick. 

8 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Hmmn. Interesting and I guess not what you were expecting based on the iFi spec. 

It’s not what I expected based on the iFi marketing claims. I’ll give it until after the weekend, a full 200 hours to see how it compares.

OK, 24 hours later and it is different again. So it looks as if getting some hours on the device is very important. 

On 03/04/2021 at 09:14, Fourlegs said:

...I see that you have a Blu MkII which I also had and enjoyed very much. I am watching with interest to see if Chord will announce a replacement for it. Rob Watts has said in the last few days that he has signed off one of his new designs and it is now in production. I do wonder if it might be a Choral range Scaler, possibly with a CD player?

Any further info on what the new product is?  Even just a category would be interesting...  Also any idea when the announcement will be made?

Update:  Looks like there may be up to 4 new products coming shortly...

"we expect to launch new mobile and new desktop items, and have been working hard on software updates for 2Go and Poly, and hardware issues that delayed the 2Yu coming to the market.

And we expect to launch possibly four new products in the coming months"

https://audiofi.net/2021/03/the-right-chord-at-the-right-time/

Edited by audiobuff
update

I was planning on buying an etherregen as I have a spare 10M output on my rubidium master clock, and then I read this helpful review on ASR :P

2 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

I was planning on buying an etherregen as I have a spare 10M output on my rubidium master clock, and then I read this helpful review on ASR :P

Sorry but I fail to understand how your post relates to the thread title topic.  No doubt you are keen to do spread the words of wisdom in the ASR review far and wide but a new thread may be more appropriate.

I will save you the trouble and start a thread on the subject of the Etherregen.

39 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Sorry but I fail to understand how your post relates to the thread title topic.  No doubt you are keen to do spread the words of wisdom in the ASR review far and wide but a new thread may be more appropriate.

I will save you the trouble and start a thread on the subject of the Etherregen.

Bit early for sarcasm isn't it old bean. Jeez.