Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS powering my Dave and Mscaler

Fourlegs

10 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Yes. 

I was slightly distracted soon after by swopping my broadband over to 4G and needing to rearrange my wired LAN in the house to get the router where there is a signal. That still isn’t optimised and today there is a plan to move the router to the other end of the house to point at a different aerial. However I can say that the Innuos PhoenixNET does sound different to the EtherRegen. 

Also, I am not making excuses but I have been involved in beta testing a new upsampling software and that became rather busy leading up to the public release over the weekend. 

A decent WiFi connection to the streamer should have the advantage of no noise being introduced. I wonder if a WiFi connection is better than wired, even if the wired connection is through a PhoenixNET or similar product.

From memory, I believe Auralic recommend wireless.

1 hour ago, Griff500 said:

A decent WiFi connection to the streamer should have the advantage of no noise being introduced. I wonder if a WiFi connection is better than wired, even if the wired connection is through a PhoenixNET or similar product.

From memory, I believe Auralic recommend wireless.

Why would you want to put a 2.4 or 5 GHz radio transmitter inside your streamer which is what you are doing by using WiFi?

12 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Why would you want to put a 2.4 or 5 GHz radio transmitter inside your streamer which is what you are doing by using WiFi?

Aha! There's the reason for not using WiFi... 9_9

• 1 month later...

I’m (also) using a DC4 for my DAVE (Wow!) and a DC4 for my M-Scaler (Wow, wow!). So now I ordered a DC 4 for my Roon Nucleus. Madness? Probably, but also lots of audiofun!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Huite said:

I’m (also) using a DC4 for my DAVE (Wow!) and a DC4 for my M-Scaler (Wow, wow!). So now I ordered a DC 4 for my Roon Nucleus. Madness? Probably, but also lots of audiofun!

Triple cool!  Please post back with how you get on with the DC4 for the Roon Nucleus!!

7 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Triple cool!  Please post back with how you get on with the DC4 for the Roon Nucleus!!

I will Nick. But this will take some build and break-in time as you know!

Cheers from the Netherlands, Huite

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 07:29, Huite said:

So now I ordered a DC 4 for my Roon Nucleus. Madness? Probably, but also lots of audiofun!

I agree .. madness. Your Roon Nucleus has a cheap Intel NUC in it that will  take the highly regulated output from the DC4 and use relatively noisy  DC-DC converters to create the operating voltages it needs. Instead of just throwing expensive power supplies at the "problem" , if you are going to spend that kind of money I suggest you step back and think it through from the ground up. 

IF, and it is a big IF in my book, the server makes that much difference,  you will be better off ditching the Nuleus NUC and looking into a server optimized for the task at hand. The Nucleus is not. It is a cheap NUC in a fancy case that is waaaay overpriced for what it is. Adding an expensive power supply to it won't change that.

Edited by ChordFan
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, ChordFan said:

I agree .. madness. Your Roon Nucleus has a cheap Intel NUC in it that will  take the highly regulated output from the DC4 and use relatively noisy  DC-DC converters to create the operating voltages it needs. Instead of just throwing expensive power supplies at the "problem" , if you are going to spend that kind of money I suggest you step back and think it through from the ground up. 

IF, and it is a big IF in my book, the server makes that much difference,  you will be better off ditching the Nuleus NUC and looking into a server optimized for the task at hand. The Nucleus is not. It is a cheap NUC in a fancy case that is waaaay overpriced for what it is. Adding an expensive power supply to it won't change that.

Err, so, did you watch the GTT Audio video i posted a couple of posts ago? 

(Although i do agree in principle that something instead of the Roon Nuc may well me better ultimately). 

Am I reading the price of this thing right, 5 grand? You could get an Innuos Zennith Mk3 for less than that and toss the Nucleus. Guess who makes the power supply.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

@Warszawa no you are not reading it right.

£5400 inc vat is the price of the three rail power supply for the Dave. At that price, I and many others regard it as good value for the improvement that it makes to the Dave sound quality. 

A single rail DC4 is £4k inc vat. A Zenith will cost between £3500 and just under £6000 but their power supplies are not in the same territory as the DC4.

Actually, you have given me an idea which would be to take a second hand Zen or Zenith and use a DC4 power supply with that. Now THAT would be an interesting proposition! I wonder if it would be a Statement beater?

Edited by Fourlegs

3 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Err, so, did you watch the GTT Audio video i posted a couple of posts ago? 

Err, no I did not, life is too short to watch 22 minute U-Tube videos that could be summarized into something I could read in a couple of minutes. I assume he says the Nucleus is better if you replace the wall wart with a linear supply ??

Edited by ChordFan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ChordFan said:

Hi ChordFan,

I know about the NUC basis of the Nucleus. I also know there are many positive reviews about the Nucleus out there. And I noticed audible differences changing from the stock Nucleus SMPS to a SBooster, to a Keces P8 and to one I’m using now, A Paul Hynes SR5-T.

But please name me a few better Roon Core machines (because I don’t need a real server) for about 5000/6000 Euro’s/Dollars, so I can compare them afterwards to the Nucleus/DC4 combination!

Ciao, Huite

Edited by Huite

8 hours ago, Huite said:

But please name me a few better Roon Core machines (because I don’t need a real server) for about 5000/6000 Euro’s/Dollars, so I can compare them afterwards to the Nucleus/DC4 combination!

As above, the Innuos Zenith Mk 3. 

Would genuinely like to hear your impressions of such a comparison.