Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS powering my Dave and Mscaler

Fourlegs

16 hours ago, Huite said:

But please name me a few better Roon Core machines (because I don’t need a real server)

I don't know what you mean by "real server" but you definitely need  a computer to run the software whether you call it a server or not.  Roon calls their version of Core software that runs on a headless computer a server. That is probably different than what most people consider to be a server so it does cause confusion. So I'm saying if you believe the computer running Roon has an impact you should consider something other than a Nucleus as your core or your server or whatever you want to call it. My point about the Nucleus is they take an off the shelf NUC that costs maybe $6-700 or less in quantity, put it in a case that costs maybe a few hundred tops, and they charge 3 times that for it.

There are various other Roon servers like the Innous that have been mentioned that attempt to optimize the performance of the server in various ways. There used to be a list of them on Roon's website but they don't tell you what the competition for the Nucleus is any more. I have tried a Nucleus, a Zenith, Small Green Computer, a full blown gaming computer "server" with JCAT cards and extremal linear supply, and currently use a DIY computer I put together running Roon and HQPlayer on Ubuntu. Frankly, based on my experience, I think the whole idea that the computer you use to send the digital signal out via ethernet can have any significant impact on the sound is bunch of wishful thinking.. so I'm not one to recommend a better one. Just think it is silly to put a $5000 power supply on a $500 NUC . 

but, others believe  otherwise as evidence by those willing to spend $25,000 + on a Taiko Extreme  computer then spend thousands more on ethernet switches and cables and USB re-clockers and cables and linear supplies for all of that

.. good luck with it 

Edited by ChordFan
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

@ChordFan I say count yourself lucky if you do not hear the differences many of us hear with different ‘servers’. You will certainly find hifi to be much a much cheaper hobby than me. 😜🤪👍

But then, some are happy with Roon and I am very happy for them . . . . . . 🤣

By the way, many of the Innuos machines share a processing board with the biggest (but not only) differences being the various installed power supplies and they all sound quite different.

It all goes to show that there is room for a variety of preferences and thoughts as to what is important in our systems and luckily we are free to follow which ever path we chose.

Out of interest, as you do not list your system, what else do you have in your system? Various Chord stuff?

Edited by Fourlegs

1 hour ago, ChordFan said:

Frankly, based on my experience, I think the whole idea that the computer you use to send the digital signal can have any significant impact on the sound is bunch of wishful thinking..

Isn't that digital data sent in an analogue signal with high and low frequencies representing ones and zeroes? My understanding is that analogue signal can carry more than data with it.

I have no experience with servers but I have certainly heard differences in different streamers.

I also noticed a significant difference using a different ethernet cable. I'll get my flame suit on...

21 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

I also noticed a significant difference using a different ethernet cable. I'll get my flame suit on.

you will never catch me criticizing or flaming anybody for stating what they hear or don't don't. You ears and your brain and your system so I believe you hear what you hear.

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

Out of interest, as you do not list your system, what else do you have in your system? Various Chord stuff?

At the time I registered I did have a Chord Dave and when I added Keces power supplies to replace the cheap switcher I thought it was very worthwhile improvement. I attribute that that to the  ±15V analog sections (a cheap 5V supply made little if any difference) so I have no problem believing a Sean Jacobs will improve or at least change the analog output. I now have a Denafrips system where a DDC  re-clocks the incoming USB under control of the DAC to I2S. As someone with a strong electronics background It is inconceivable to me that anything in the digital stream in front of the DDC could affect things enough to change the analog output of my DAC. My ears confirm that so I am happy. You can see my system here

https://systems.audiogon.com/users/herman

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ChordFan said:

At the time I registered I did have a Chord Dave and when I added Keces power supplies to replace the cheap switcher I thought it was very worthwhile improvement. I attribute that that to the  ±15V analog sections (a cheap 5V supply made little if any difference) so I have no problem believing a Sean Jacobs will improve or at least change the analog output. I now have a Denafrips system where a DDC  re-clocks the incoming USB under control of the DAC to I2S. As someone with a strong electronics background It is inconceivable to me that anything in the digital stream in front of the DDC could affect things enough to change the analog output of my DAC. My ears confirm that so I am happy. You can see my system here

Thanks. That is an interesting journey.

When I was investigating possible power supply improvements to the Dave I also suspected that the biggest gain would be from addressing the analogue ±15V supply and so I experimented with various other supplies to the Dave 5V digital circuits to see if I could 'get away' with a less expensive supply there. Unfortunately for my wallet I was wrong and the sound quality was significantly improved when I went from say a Sean Jacobs DC3 5V digital supply to the DC4 5V supply.

23 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Just one thing to interject, IMHO one easy upgrade in sound quality is to stop using Roon. 👍🤪

Last time I asked as to how roon effects the sound quality and you replied it just does. Could you please explain what's going on with roon compared to whatever you're using now as I'd find that interesting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bokke said:

Last time I asked as to how roon effects the sound quality and you replied it just does. Could you please explain what's going on with roon compared to whatever you're using now as I'd find that interesting.

That is a different topic that should really be discussed in its own thread.

Here you go topic started and my less than edifying views as I have no dog in this fight . I will however be very interested to read the various views on both sides .

On 14/06/2021 at 19:14, Warszawa said:

As above, the Innuos Zenith Mk 3. Would genuinely like to hear your impressions of such a comparison.

I will try to get a hand on a Zenith Mk 3 after the Nucleus/DC4 combi is fully burn in.

And that will take several month as I noticed with the two DC4’s that are already in my set-up. And I expect the Nucleus DC4 to arrive around 15 July!

• 1 month later...

OMG. there will be a DC4 ARC6 for the DAVE soon. The good news is that there seems to be a possibility to upgrade a "normal" DC4: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1147143

Edited by Huite

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Huite said:

OMG. there will be a DC4 ARC6 for the DAVE soon. The good news is that there seems to be a possibility to upgrade a "normal" DC4: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1147143

Ah, yes, you are right about the ARC6. As it happens having been the first customer for the then new DC4 back in 2020 I have been invited to do some prototype testing of the ARC6 for Sean which was quite unexpected. Sean has several possible options in mind to maximise the sound quality but he designs based on his technical expertise rather than listening and he does not have a Dave himself.  I have therefore been asked if I will listen to the different options and give feedback on what I hear. I think it will be fun.

As you say and from what I have read it is intended that existing owners can upgrade for the difference in price without any price penalty.

I can tell you that from what I have seen looking at the new unit the new ARC6 is a very substantial build upgrade compared to the current DC4 but I have been asked not to share and internal photos which is fair enough.

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 22:53, ChordFan said:

https://systems.audiogon.com/users/herman

Oh my goodness that is some system!!

14 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Ah, yes, you are right about the ARC6. As it happens having been the first customer for the then new DC4 back in 2020 I have been invited to do some prototype testing of the ARC6 for Sean which was quite unexpected. Sean has several possible options in mind to maximise the sound quality but he designs based on his technical expertise rather than listening and he does not have a Dave himself.  I have therefore been asked if I will listen to the different options and give feedback on what I hear. I think it will be fun.

Lucky you! If Sean needs another tester, here I am!

• Like 1

The Sean Jacobs prototype ARC6 DC4 for the Dave in USA has now passed to Roy on AS who has posted his experiences.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1149407

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

The Sean Jacobs prototype ARC6 DC4 for the Dave in USA has now passed to Roy on AS who has posted his experiences.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1149407

I may have missed it but am curious to Rob Watts home visit that was mentioned in the beginning.

Edited by Bokke