Leem

Roon-why ?

i Currently have Sooloos at home which has no subscription but apparently isn't being upgraded any more with a lot of Meridian customers moving to Roon.

Have to say that the main upside is having everything in the same place. I can see all my albums together whether i have then as FLAC on the NAS or as a TIDAL Favourite. it's seamless between the 2. There is also the option of radio stations as well

Can also control multiple zones at the same time so i can be listening to something in the living room and the wife/kids elsewhere.

Not sure this is worth the money though. As i said Sooloos has no subscription.

Having invested the time sorting out the tagging on my CD-rip / download library, so that I can easily find the music I want to listen to, I don't think Roon would really add any value for me. Should I wish to find out background information, or song lyrics then that information is easily found in the CD inlay booklet or (more likely) on the internet.

I wish Roon well but given the ephemeral nature of many internet-based businesses, I would be wary of forking out for a lifetime subscription that will take about six years to break even vs paying yearly.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

There really is an awful lot more to the additional information than that. Though if you don’t want it or need it, then you wouldn’t pay for it.  They really don’t want lifetime subscribers - they want annual income. That’s why it’s been hiked to an unpalatable figure. Obviously the annual figure will be unpalatable to some also, inevitably. It’s simply one of many choices out there. Superfluous to some, invaluable to others. 

Edited by jobseeker
  • Upvote 1

When I mentioned 'lifetime' software licence, I meant lifetime for that version of software. So new features and developments that deems a new software version appropriate, then you can upgrade at a cost, or continue to use the ageing software. It's a typical financial model for many software applications. 

I'm absolutely sure that Roon will have considered all angles, so fair enough. 

Super Wammer

Well if you use LMS and want a bit of extra information on the artist and albums then I would suggest loading the free material skin plugin . When you view LMS on a PC it gives lots of extras like album thumbnails like on iTunes and you can then search by album cover . It also offers a page with artist information and album review and song lyrics if available . Yes some are missing but this is free well worth trying .

• Upvote 1

Been a lifetime subscriber for 4 years now, love the program, but I think Roon really comes into its own when combined with Tidal or Qobuz, I have always loved the blues and have a lot of cd’s, but after having Roon and Tidal I have moved more into guitar jazz, a area of music I knew very little about, a year in I have at least 60  record releases incorporated into my Roon library, the way one can click on a bass player on a record, then see all the other records he/she has been in is just fantastic, also the radio feature works really well now, I find a lot of new stuff there. One problem is that if I find something I really really like, I usually end up buying the cd......

Ohh, the reviews and the bios of musicians can be very helpful too.

• Like 2

I suppose it depends what you want. If you are happy to mess about with command line interfaces, search around the net for how to's, mess about with them to get then working then fine, enjoy your self. If you dont mind leaving your music app to search around the net for info on that guitar player or drummer, leave one side of your apps interface to  search you local library, swapping back to search your streaming service equally fine. My interest in buggering about with computer software has been much reduced over the years, I now prefer something that just plain works, puts what you need on one screen, be that a full blown computer, a pad, be that android, apple or windows, or your phone. It sends music to a large range of endpoints, at all sorts of price levels, and will quite happily send music to your main system, bedroom. kitchen, office at the same time, either the same stream or different one's with out getting it's knickers in a knot. As to the cost, yes it has one, but then so does keeping my turntable fed with cartridges. It can find music in my local library a damn sight faster than I can, and at the same time offer everything available on qubuz or tidal on the same screen. Hi Fi is a stupidly expensive hobby, no matter which way you look at it, so why bitch about a reasonable annual fee that makes it all so much more of a pleasure to use. 

• Like 1

Roon is most convenient tool for managing and using your digital music collection, but not something you cannot manage with out it. Also roon won’t make your music sound better on it’s own

Posted (edited)

Some would argue with that. The RAAT protocol, network vs USB, upsampling, DSD conversion, Parametric EQ. Depends on what you’re comparing it with. I’ve read some great arguments both ways. Of course, it’s just opinions. We’ve all got ‘em ;-)

Edited by jobseeker