kernow

Ooh, no

15 minutes ago, mentt said:

based on engineering knowledge all digital devices should sound the same...zeros and ones right.

No. This totally misrepresents 'engineering knowledge'.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

the last bit is easy to explain, it does "                                             " very well

Think that Russ does very well!

Super Wammer
11 minutes ago, mentt said:

...zeros and ones right. But we all know that it is actually not the case 

no, we all KNOW it is - using science and relevant maths that it IS the case

you don't, this is called magic thinking (politicians are  particularly good at this)

I have a fair understanding of how digital communications work, enough to have taught it in a way non-techies can understand so they know to not over promise and to ask for advice from people I have employed before proceeding. I would not teach networking to knowledgeable people but the link from Keith earlier explains that under rigorous test conditions there is NO magic.

So go on I'll play; please will you demonstrate using scientific terms and using the relevant maths how this can be different and improve sound?

Russ Andrews isn't an expert in digital,or computer networking. 

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

to add; links to social media are not science

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maverick said:

no, we all KNOW it is - using science and relevant maths that it IS the case

you don't, this is called magic thinking (politicians are  particularly good at this)

I have a fair understanding of how digital communications work, enough to have taught it in a way non-techies can understand so they know to not over promise and to ask for advice from people I have employed before proceeding. I would not teach networking to knowledgeable people but the link from Keith earlier explains that under rigorous test conditions there is NO magic.

So go on I'll play; please will you demonstrate using scientific terms and using the relevant maths how this can be different and improve sound?

Point is you don’t have to prove anything by measurements and so on, this is just hifi. Either you hear the difference or you don’t. But your statements should be based by your own real life experience with that particular product 

What does a switch sound like?

How can you listen to a switch 

It's like when someone says speakers are transparent, you need a frame of reference to something which is actually transparent as a control. It's waffle, like 85% of hifi 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Strange I very much was convinced that for networking that I believed bits are in fact bits until of course you told me that I did not. I currently use an Ethernet Switch it cost me £16 delivered. It works it is not used because I believe it improves the audio quality it is used because I was suffering drop outs both on audio and streaming video . This has now stopped .

Edited by bencat

8 minutes ago, kernow said:

What does a switch sound like?

How can you listen to a switch 

It's like when someone says speakers are transparent, you need a frame of reference to something which is actually transparent as a control. It's waffle, like 85% of hifi 

You listen to the switch the same way as you listen to the amplifier, you put it to your system 

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, mentt said:

Point is you don’t have to prove anything by measurements and so on, this is just hifi. Either you hear the difference or you don’t. But your statements should be based by your own real life experience with that particular product 

utter, utter nonsense

I have never been to Mars but I believe that it has gravity, the physics are well understood. What you are saying because I've never been it could have no gravity or massive gravity, because I didn't try it for myself I can't know.

Think you be better be calling NASA and warning them that science isn't reliable.

• Like 2

It is a consumer product, and the facts are shrouded in marketing. If any one wants to send me a mega money switch, I will quite happily compare it to my normal switches in both the office and audio environment. Who knows my spreadsheets may be more accurate, file transfers faster, printers give better colour and voip calls work better.

• Haha 2

Super Wammer
Just now, mentt said:

You listen to the switch the same way as you listen to the amplifier, you put it to your system 

you sir, are either a troll or lack any basic scientific education

suggest you buy one and post a review on here

• Like 3

I would put a switch in my system, but I don't think it would work, it needs to be in the ethernet network. Sat between my CD player and amp it's not going to a fat sight.

• Haha 2

Had enough of this type of sh!t so here goes..,

My PC has all of my media on HDD and a small amount on SSD. From PC to ethernet switch > out to Virgin Hub3 > out to switch > out to local hi-fi switch > out to Nvidia Shield > out to HDMI optical switch > out to DAC.

Pursuit Perfect System can apparently tell which way a cable is connected, and believes SSD sounds better than HDD. I would love him to show me.

Mentt, show me how changing anything in that chain will make any audible difference whatsoever. Just show me. I have a space for al.

If anyone can show me anything on paper that will improve the sound and quality of my audio or video chain, I will make a donation to the charity of your choice.

I watch true ripped 4K video, no issues, in true 4K with a 7.1 soundtrack,  file size is 65GB+.

I made a CD with nothing, no sound, at 16/44.1k. Fresh air. I've played this from my server with all my system volumes at full. I had my partner sit in front of the hi-fi and report any noises whilst I went around the house switching things on and off. Nothing. NOTH - ING. Can you read? NOTHING. No clicks, pops, farts or burbles, just silence. Now, show me how I can improve on that. Please. I will come and pick you up wherever you are in the UK and run you back home. And donate to your charity. 

IF.. and its a big if.. you are proven correct, I should get improved text files from my 8-colour networked printer.. shouldn't I. Or would that depend on the transmission quality of my Samsung S10+ to the Hub. You'll make an excuse somewhere. Just remember this - a switch is either on or off. It cannot possibly have any effect on anything if not fully on or off. A woman cannot be half pregnant. A switch cannot be half on, or off. The power is intrinsically separate so don't even go there. 

I look forward to replies and challenges.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1