MF 1000

Comparison Software

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

During a period of being awake in the middle of last night, I was browsing the net and came across a piece of free software that I'll be testing out today.

AudioDiffmaker.  https://www.libinst.com/Audio DiffMaker.htm

This allows you to record a track on your PC, then you add in that new cable, turntable support, network switch. £4K power lead etc and record the same track again.  The software then subtracts one track from the other leaving just any increases/decreases behind.   

If this does what it says it has the power to allow us definitive tests/results for those tweaks we swear by etc .....and provide actual evidence to eliminate the 'double blind' posts from a certain dealer 😁😁😁😁😁

Got to be on some conference calls this morning but I'm going to give it a try out this afternoon.

Edited by MF 1000
  • Like 3

Super Wammer

This should be interesting ;-)

Posted (edited)

One word of warning: any difference signal will be very sensitive to small time offsets of one signal vs the other. Presumably the software allows this to be adjusted but bear this in mind. Also make a few repeat measurements with no changes to get an idea of the normal variability.

Note you can do some direct comparisons in REW as well, although of different things.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

This does indeed look interesting not fully sure how the recordings are made but Keith can let us know when he tries it. Would be nice if you could use the Umik.

Super Wammer

Conference calls ran over into this afternoon ☹️

Had a quick try this morning ....Umik mike did connect via its phantom psu to the software 😁  Not tried recording anything yet, hopefully tomorrow.

Any time offset should be consistent throughout the test sample. After that its argument time. 

Super Wammer

......as if :rofl:

But what if your network switch isn't transparent enough?

• Like 1

Super Wammer

If not, clean the windows. 

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, Warszawa said:

But what if your network switch isn't transparent enough?

I had the foresight not to get involved in streaming .....saved me a fortune ....I think :/

I've had it for ages (AudioDiffmaker). It has its uses, but it can be finicky and the accuracy isn't always what you might expect. It really depends how you use it. The claim is that as it only effectively shows differences, then the microphone you use and anything that introduces error will be irrelevant, because the 'difference' will still be there. Unfortunately, that's poorly reasoned. Basically, things in the chain have a degree of variability, which is not necessarily constant. Plus, everything in the room will make a difference if you are recording and again it is not necessarily consistent. If you are in the room when recording, can you guarantee you are sitting in exactly the same place and position each time? A person moving in a room can have a significant effect.

It's a useful and fun bit of software, but IMO it is good for isolating and illustrating when there are differences, but not good enough to be able to prove a lack of difference.