newlash09

Long RCA or long speaker cables

Hi all..

Iam in need of some very helpful advise. I've always seen folks use mono block amps placed very close to the speakers, to keep the speaker cable short. And trust me I was a convert to the idea.

As I approach closer to my own goal of active triamping. Iam beginning to have my doubts. 

Do RCA interconnects pick up more RF and EMI than speaker cables , or is it the other way around.

My plan was to have 6 mono block amps, tubes and SS combined. All placed in a dedicated stand at the back of the speakers, to keep the speaker cable length under 10 cms from the binding posts. But Iam finding this will entail long RCA leads. Atleast 1.5 mtrs each side. Hence my conundrum.. Thanks for taking the  time to reply to my query.

Super Wammer

Hello Mr Newlash09. Generally speaking, provided you have properly shielded RCA leads, no reason you can’t go up to 2m or so. I have some that are 2m no issues.  

• Like 1

1.5m RCA length using line level signals is fine. I have 3m RCA leads going from a streamer to active speakers. I believe anything over 5m/10m is where you start to have issues.

Balanced connections would be better over longer runs ... you don't have these?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Hello Mr Newlash09. Generally speaking, provided you have properly shielded RCA leads, no reason you can’t go up to 2m or so. I have some that are 2m no issues.  

I have lots of RCA cables I've amassed over the years . But don't know wether they are shielded or not. I have mogami Z platinums, transparent music links and Hifidelity cables too. But I don't have any clue if they are shielded or not. How to make out sir. Alternately I can buy new cables from futureshop in uk, and sell my other cables to recuperate the costs. 

10 minutes ago, t1no said:

1.5m RCA length using line level signals is fine. I have 3m RCA leads going from a streamer to active speakers. I believe anything over 5m/10m is where you start to have issues.

Balanced connections would be better over longer runs ... you don't have these?

No  sir.. none of the amps have balanced xlr connections at the moment. So it will have to be RCA all through at the moment sadly :(

Super Wammer

After my recent tests with the Mogami 2543 I'd go for long RCA - at £6 per stereo metre is a bargain 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

After my recent tests with the Mogami 2543 I'd go for long RCA - at £6 per stereo metre is a bargain 

Thanks sir :)

That's clear then. I plan on rewiring my speakers with transparent cables, with the amps placed  behind the speakers at driver level. To keep the cable length to a minimum. As close as I can get to directly couple the amps to the drivers . I will be bypassing the binding posts too. I will drill a hole through them,  and directly solder the wire to the drivers on one end, and attach to the amps at the other.  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

I have lots of RCA cables I've amassed over the years . But don't know wether they are shielded or not. I have mogami Z platinums, transparent music links and Hifidelity cables too. But I don't have any clue if they are shielded or not. How to make out sir. Alternately I can buy new cables from futureshop in uk, and sell my other cables to recuperate the costs. 

RCA cables are shielded by design - the outer coaxial conductor is the shield. There are probably some RCA cables that have an extra shield but you have to be careful as to how you ground those. Anyway, just use the cables you have. You'll know soon enough if you have interference or hum ... not likely over a 1.5m run unless something is very wrong.

Edited by t1no
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
31 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

They will all be shielded.. how good depends on the quality but definitely the Transparent will be of high quality.

Ive ordered a pair of these Van Damme 2m  for my cassette deck which is 2m away in a cupboard but I did order recently some balanced versions which I’m most impressed at 

C95F9865-FD31-412E-B287-F1DC96779030.jpeg

• Like 1

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Ive ordered a pair of these Van Damme 2m  for my cassette deck which is 2m away in a cupboard but I did order recently some balanced versions which I’m most impressed at

Yes, I bought much the same, both this RCA set and some RCA to XLR to maximise the socketry on my Primare amplifier.  I’d be quite happy to try 3 metres or more as long as they weren’t near any mains or electronics. 6E09EF03-D53D-4627-A0EC-416B71B8D968.thumb.jpeg.7ced7026abe892cf70f191a736c7129a.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

While XLR balanced interconnects are better than RCA interconnects for long runs, if you chose a coax cable with a heavy braided shield, 5 meter (15 feet) is easy. Even 15 meter (50 foot) runs are doable.

Thanks sir...well noted. But I must admit I did get confused. Should I use coxail digital cables instead of RCA cables to avoid the gremlins. I probably have one coax cable at the moment.. Thus asking 

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

. I will be bypassing the binding posts too. I will drill a hole through them,  and directly solder the wire to the drivers on one end, and attach to the amps at the other.  

I’d be cautious about doing away with all the connections.  Are there any sealed box drivers, because they won’t like have extra ventilation?

There was also a similar question recently...

Hi sirs...

My daughter has just come online on WhatsApp. Will return here soon. Thanks for understanding :)

• Like 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Yes, I bought much the same, both this RCA set and some RCA to XLR to maximise the socketry on my Primare amplifier.  I’d be quite happy to try 3 metres or more as long as they weren’t near any mains or electronics. 6E09EF03-D53D-4627-A0EC-416B71B8D968.thumb.jpeg.7ced7026abe892cf70f191a736c7129a.jpeg

I've got my 'bulk' Mogami  from Designacable 😀

Edited by MF 1000
  • Like 2