Jump to content

Bluesound


Beyond you
 Share

Recommended Posts

Since 2015 I have enjoyed my Bluesound Node 2, however it’s still my first streamer and nothing else to compare it to. I’m not saying it’s the best streamer but for price and the enjoyment with its basic design ticks all the boxes for me. I have seen the BluOS develop and updates during this time and for me operates great between phone and tablet.
I’m now considering the Powernode 2i for my man cave and possibly a new pair of bookshelf speakers.
 

Share your thoughts regarding Bluesound products 

Regards

Matt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also have a BS Node 2- but the sound wasn’t great directly into my amp.

However, Having used it with several DACs (Denafrips, Wadia , RME ADI) I subsequently rate it highly as a streamer. The interface is really good and works well with Tidal and Tune in.

I do wonder if the Node 2i would be noticeably better as a streamer but I suspect not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve had a Bluesound Vault 2 since December 2017 and it’s been my go-to digital source ever since. It took several months to rip my 2,000-ish CDs onto it’s hard drive, and my solution to the sound quality disparity between it and my better-sounding Rega Saturn CDP was to buy an Audio Note DAC 0.1x, which sounds better than the Saturn.

Streaming can be problematic due to the dodgy home broadband which uses 55+ years old copper cable and which gets disrupted when we get a voice call coming on the even older cabling from the exchange in town. But that’s not Bluesound’s fault.

The Vault has a couple of big issues, the first of which is metadata. The metadata services that Bluesound use are very poor, so CDs get ripped as the wrong artist and album, and lots of words get mis-spelt. Cliff Richards anyone? “Never Had A Cream Come True” anyone? This has sometimes led me to rip on a laptop and copy the resultant FLACs onto the Vault.

The other issue is the BluOS search facility and how it handles the search results. Part of this is because Bluesound have had to write BluOS for multiple platforms, which must be a huge challenge. On the iPadOS version of BlueOS, apostrophes are the enemy. At best a title or artist search with an apostrophe will return a small subset of the true results. At worst, the iPad client goes into a loop and I have to reboot the iPad.

Then if, say, a search for a title returns 15 results, iOS often loses track of which result is which and any selection that I make will end up with the wrong result being played. Other times, all selections made by me from the list will just play the same result. This all becomes clear when the track is played and the album sleeve is displayed. This shows the selection actually being played.

Having pointed out the faults (like a politician or TV political journalist) I have to say that the Vault is a wonderful device that’s really boosted my listening experience. I wouldn’t be with out it. It’s also been the means to listen to my whole CD collection in my car via 7 memory sticks. Now that’s a real Brucie bonus.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Node2i and the BluOS is the weakest part.  I have a couple of Sonos devices and so run the Sonos app next to the BluOS app and the difference is significant.  The Sonos won't win any UX awards but it works simply and logically and consistently gets it right.  

On some occasions I had to go to the Sonos app to find an album or artist and then work out how to get the BluOS app to find it.  I find playlists a chore, and the back button drives me mad.  Logically you go artist->album->track.  On the Sonos app you can go back from a track to the album, then back to the artist ie back up the search tree.  On the BluOS app the back button at any level dumps you inelegantly back to the search screen.  Annoying AF

And the app is slow - like Sotosound I frequently ended up with a queue full of just one track listed 8 times because the app didn't update the queue fast enough and I pressed the play icon several times.

I went to Roon.  Much better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eatapeach said:

I have a Node2i and the BluOS is the weakest part.  I have a couple of Sonos devices and so run the Sonos app next to the BluOS app and the difference is significant.  The Sonos won't win any UX awards but it works simply and logically and consistently gets it right.  

On some occasions I had to go to the Sonos app to find an album or artist and then work out how to get the BluOS app to find it.  I find playlists a chore, and the back button drives me mad.  Logically you go artist->album->track.  On the Sonos app you can go back from a track to the album, then back to the artist ie back up the search tree.  On the BluOS app the back button at any level dumps you inelegantly back to the search screen.  Annoying AF

And the app is slow - like Sotosound I frequently ended up with a queue full of just one track listed 8 times because the app didn't update the queue fast enough and I pressed the play icon several times.

I went to Roon.  Much better

My issue is more that if I search for a track that I know that I have on, say, 15 CDs, with the intention of comparing mixes and masterings, it all goes wrong.

If the metadata is alright then I get a list of 15 search results. If I check out the additional info about each search result then that will probably be right.

If, however, I then select entry number 5, it might well play entry number 3.

On other occasions, if I select entry 1, it’ll play entry number 1. Then, if I select entry number 2 it’ll play entry number 1. Then, if I select entry number 3 it’ll play entry number 1.

Etc.

So, it’s got the right entries from the hard drive when it goes to the web for additional info, but not when it goes to the hard drive to play a file. 

Completely nuts and possibly not hard to fix if you understand data arrays and dry run the source code to see what’s going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like my Bluesound Node 2i  and find using BLUOS fine. I bought it as a streamer into my CDP’s DAC, to replace a Zen Innuos.  SQ was ok but compared to my previous set up it had that slightly etched quality that can plague lower end digital. I then bought the Fidelity Audio psu interface upgrade for £150 and there was an immediate improvement, now it’s on a par with the Innuos.  I’m now waiting on delivery of a low noise PSU from Fidelity which should take performance up a further notch, but I’d say the interface upgrade is a no brainer in terms of sound for pound.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The power node 2i is on my watch list as well. If your not in any hurry to purchase I have noticed occasionally they turn up in seven oaks sound and vision clearance section with a descent discount.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer

Hello. Quick question, can  AmazonHD be used on a BlueSound Node 2i. Just asking for a friend🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, culturecrammer said:

I like my Bluesound Node 2i  and find using BLUOS fine. I bought it as a streamer into my CDP’s DAC, to replace a Zen Innuos.  SQ was ok but compared to my previous set up it had that slightly etched quality that can plague lower end digital. I then bought the Fidelity Audio psu interface upgrade for £150 and there was an immediate improvement, now it’s on a par with the Innuos.  I’m now waiting on delivery of a low noise PSU from Fidelity which should take performance up a further notch, but I’d say the interface upgrade is a no brainer in terms of sound for pound.

This may or may not be relevant: delighted with my Node 2i with Fidelity Audio interface card and a repurposed Custom Hifi Cables linear PSU; really does take it up a notch or three...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You’re not kidding - my psu came today shortly after I wrote my post and the upgrade is superb. I no longer need to feed the Bluesound into the DAC of my £1500 Densen, it is easily as good on its own if not better.  Fidelity Audio said it would make the Node rival streamers upwards of £1500 and they weren’t wrong. Only downside is the psu box is quite a bit bigger than the Bluesound itself!  Glad you’re enjoying yours.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
16 hours ago, culturecrammer said:

You’re not kidding - my psu came today shortly after I wrote my post and the upgrade is superb. I no longer need to feed the Bluesound into the DAC of my £1500 Densen, it is easily as good on its own if not better.  Fidelity Audio said it would make the Node rival streamers upwards of £1500 and they weren’t wrong. Only downside is the psu box is quite a bit bigger than the Bluesound itself!  Glad you’re enjoying yours.

Excellent!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, beermaniac said:

I wonder if the PSU will be as effective upgrade on the Node 2 ? Anyone upgraded?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect it will be, it’s just that Fidelity designed and tested it for the Node 2i and couldn’t guarantee it would work just as well - or indeed at all. That’s why I bit the bullet and went from 2 to 2i then upgraded the PSU.

Edited by TheFlash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/04/2020 at 13:49, culturecrammer said:

I like my Bluesound Node 2i  and find using BLUOS fine. I bought it as a streamer into my CDP’s DAC, to replace a Zen Innuos.  SQ was ok but compared to my previous set up it had that slightly etched quality that can plague lower end digital. I then bought the Fidelity Audio psu interface upgrade for £150 and there was an immediate improvement, now it’s on a par with the Innuos.  I’m now waiting on delivery of a low noise PSU from Fidelity which should take performance up a further notch, but I’d say the interface upgrade is a no brainer in terms of sound for pound.

Did the fidelity Audio upgrade on my Node 2i on Saturday after the original power supply failed and I am truly amazed at the improvement it has made, I am finding more detail and I have had a lot of I hadn’t heard that before moments. This is into my Roksan K3 DAC.

Edited by robbyrtp
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • oldius changed the title to Bluesound

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...